Blind Guardian

The new album, At The Edge Of Time, just arrived from Amazon.com.  It's strong throughout, but the first song, Sacred Worlds, is effing glorious. 

Now I'm curious.  I will hafta get my hands on this album.

CFH, your comments about Opeth finally pushed me to get some of their work, and what a great choice!

Wasted CLV said:
CFH, your comments about Opeth finally pushed me to get some of their work, and what a great choice!

Talk about a band with solid work from the beginning of their career. I LOVE every single album and somehow manage to outdo themselves in the next.

That's not good news, only different :p Though Opeth is NOT a bigger's band into death metal. Can't wait to get the album though.

Black Wizard said:
I gave 'Battalions of Fear' a spin last night. The opening track - 'Majesty' - is a great way to begin a debut album.

I really dig early BG. I love the first two albums and obviously Nightfall, but those early albums have a certain grit and rawness lost in the overproduction of recent efforts. I still need to get their latest, but that is not far away.

Black Wizard said:
The earliest Blind Guardian labums would be even better if it weren't for that awful machine gun-drumming. :down:
I love Thomen's drumming. Current Blind Guardian drummer is good, but I would like to see Thomen come back...

Am I the only one who thinks that A Night At The Opera is an extremely overrated album, and Blind Guardian's worst? Hansi did waaaaay too much overdubbing, his vocals drown all the other instruments, and it's fucking annoying listening to thousands layers of his vocals and also some techno-like beats that appear here and there... Hansi discovering vocal overdubbing is probably the worst thing that happened to Blind Guardian. I can't find one song that I like on ANATO...

You're not the only one. I didn't like that album, I too thought the amount of layers was ridiculously exaggerated.
Very difficult to listen to. Actually, I stopped following BG since this album.

I love some other songs from A Twist in the Myth, including Straight Through the Mirror (great chorus!) and Lionheart (great solo!)

NightProwler666 said:
Other songs from ATITM are mostly forgettable.

"Turn the Page" is hands-down the best song on that album, and one of their best ever.  Of course, it would fit right at home on A Night at the Opera, so if that's not your cup of tea...

A Twist in the Myth was OK, in my opinion, but still pretty overblown.

Back