Blaze Bayley

Yea, I like this a lot about Blaze and Bruce. It's ridiculous seeing a band like Van Halen ignore literally half of their catalog because the singer thinks the stuff he wasn't on isn't worthy. Showing interest in the music you weren't part of seems like a real rarity in the rock/metal world.

Though Van Halen is a bit of a special case, if you think Blaze is struggling with the Bruce-era material, imagine DLR singing "Dreams"... It's terribly convenient, this other reason.

At the end of the day, poor writing for the singer's voice has always been a problem with Maiden. Had Steve written more with the mindset of showcasing his singer's strengths, I think Iron Maiden would have sounded even better - at least you'd have avoided the awkward spots where a vocal line goes to high or too low, or has too many words etc. Even the material specifically written for Blaze put him in some really uncomfortable spots. Bruce didn't have it easier than Blaze really, it's just that he handled it better because he is a more skilled singer.

Reactions: Gk1
At the end of the day, poor writing for the singer's voice has always been a problem with Maiden. Had Steve written more with the mindset of showcasing his singer's strengths, I think Iron Maiden would have sounded even better - at least you'd have avoided the awkward spots where a vocal line goes to high or too low, or has too many words etc. Even the material specifically written for Blaze put him in some really uncomfortable spots. Bruce didn't have it easier than Blaze really, it's just that he handled it better because he is a more skilled singer.

Yep. And I have always thought there were songs that Blaze would be actually more comfortable singing than Bruce, e.g. SSOASS, ATSS, Dream of Mirrors, or maybe even Breeg, Mother of Mercy or TGU.

It is ironic (and unfortunate for Blaze) that they started writing material that would be better suited for his voice after he left the band.

Yep. And I have always thought there were songs that Blaze would be actually more comfortable singing than Bruce, e.g. SSOASS, ATSS, Dream of Mirrors, or maybe even Breeg, Mother of Mercy or TGU.

I didn't like Blaze with Maiden. I love his solo material. He found his comfortable space there. But please don't kid yourself. (I am not being ironic). Blaze just can't sing in Brice's register. In some of these song Bruce struggles.....I think Blaze would sound horrific singing these...ok maybe he did an OK job on ATSS but I think he still struggles on this one.

I think this a big reason why I don't like Virtual XI - Blaze did well in the somber/dark/brooding environment of TXF, but really struggled in the perky 'swashbuckling uptempo' stuff.

I didn't like Blaze with Maiden. I love his solo material. He found his comfortable space there. But please don't kid yourself. (I am not being ironic). Blaze just can't sing in Brice's register. In some of these song Bruce struggles.....I think Blaze would sound horrific singing these...ok maybe he did an OK job on ATSS but I think he still struggles on this one.

Not all of these are about the register. SSOASS is, for that matter - Bruce just sounds weird there (in studio anyway) and I believe Blaze would really fit, with his lower register and darker overall voice. Mother of Mercy, on the other hand, is a type of song that would benefit from a certain plaintive approach that Blaze is more comfortable with, IMHO. Also, as I've already mentioned somewhere here in this thread, Blaze is much more suited for sounding vulnerable or broken - hence my pick ATSS or Dream of Mirrors. And so on. IRYO, though.

Not all of these are about the register. SSOASS is, for that matter - Bruce just sounds weird there (in studio anyway) and I believe Blaze would really fit, with his lower register and darker overall voice. Mother of Mercy, on the other hand, is a type of song that would benefit from a certain plaintive approach that Blaze is more comfortable with, IMHO. Also, as I've already mentioned somewhere here in this thread, Blaze is much more suited for sounding vulnerable or broken - hence my pick ATSS or Dream of Mirrors. And so on. IRYO, though.

Well, I get your point now. Blaze sure has a warm lower register. However still the songs would have to be played in a lower key.

Not all of these are about the register. SSOASS is, for that matter - Bruce just sounds weird there (in studio anyway)
In your opinion perhaps. I think Bruce sounds fantastic on Seventh Son. Blaze did some fine impressions but Bruce sounds better than any other singer doing "his" songs, without exception. Yes, I am including Afraid to Shoot Strangers. I am curious how Blaze would do Dream of Mirrors or other songs! Pure speculation until we here it.

No, just called getting in late some days due to commuting distances. I can't always get home, get changed, and get into Glasgow for any reasonable time. Such is life. I didn't know about this anyway.

Back