Black Metal

I talked about him in the Leprous thread, he's their drummer too :) His name is Baard Kolstad and he's 23-24 I think.

That's black metal? ;) More like Nickelback meets 'black' metal. It's so sweet it makes me nauseous.....:p

Hilarious description of this Mayhem item on ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221981416044

Mayhem - Deathcrush - Legendary, Terrible Black Metal EP Original Posercorpse

Here it is folks, the motherlode of Norwegian Black Metal. Debut EP/Mini-LP/whatever by the notorious Mayhem. Led by legendary dead person Euronymous, a man whose credentials as an evil overlord were somewhat tarnished when he allowed himself to get stabbed to death by a seven-stone weakling dressed as a hobgoblin. I've had this in my possession since the late '80s : I gave it a spin for the first time in 25 years and holy hell, this is a dreadful record. Quite possibly the most inept thing ever done in a recording studio - the level of musical competence on display here makes Venom sound like Rush. In fact scratch that, it makes Venom sound like Rush showing off. Don't get me wrong, I yield to no man in my love for black metal innovators like Darkthrone and Celtic Frost, but this is just cack. But if you want to listen to what sounds like someone being sick into a cement mixer for 18 minutes, this is the one to get.

Plenty of pictures attached. Note that this original pressing can be identified by a couple of printing snafus on the sleeve - the blood-red colour used on all subsequent pressings came back as a not-very-kvlt shocking pink, and they forgot to include Euronymous's credit below his picture so he had to hand-write them on himself as well as hand numbering each copy (this is #480 of 1000, in case you were wondering. I bet he got a little stiffy when it came to doing #666.) There's a close-up picture of the handwritten credit - I didn't manage to capture it in the photo, but it you angle the light right you can see the indentations made by the pen. (And to be fair, Euro may have been equally rubbish at both guitar playing and self-defence, but didn't he have nice handwriting?)

And look at the state of them. Look at the drummer! He's wearing a flat cap, leaning on a lamppost and lighting up a Woodbine. That's not what Black Metal drummers are supposed to look like. He seems to have accidentally channeled George Formby instead of Fenriz.

Where was I? Ah, yes. Vinyl is in pretty good nick (NM I would say), the horrendous racket that ensues when you play the record being by design rather than any damage to the surface. Run-out matrix numbers are UNT 60 A 33C1 and UNT 60 B 33C1. Sleeve is OK, some creasing and wear to the edges. G+ or VG-. It did come with the original blue photocopied insert, but this has got lost somewhere over the years. You're not missing much.

Posercorpse Records, 1987, FRANK001. I don't think that illustrious label ever got as far as FRANK002, so win this and you'll have their complete discography. And you will undoubtedly be crowned the grimmest and kvltest kid on your block. Just don't try listening to it for pleasure, whatever you do...

SONG OF THE YEAR* HAS ARRIVED.

*OK, at least a very serious contender...

I've been dying to hear this song recorded and finally here it is. Mixing could be a little bit better, but overall the track is crazy. I think it's my favourite from this upcoming album, but there's a couple of other gems, trust me... Can't wait for it to come out!

Picking up where Deathspell Omega left off? Very heavy "Paracletus" vibe...Not that there's anything wrong with that of course!

Also, I like the sludge metal undertones to their sound.

Picking up where Deathspell Omega left off? Very heavy "Paracletus" vibe...Not that there's anything wrong with that of course!

Also, I like the sludge metal undertones to their sound.
They are hugely inspired by Bolzer, that's for sure. Btw. I used to rehearse with their drummer and guitarist for my project. Talented players, shame it didn't work out eventually. ;)

I just listened to that new Abbath album, first impression was very positive. Lots of catchy riffs on there.

I've also been digging this:

Oh, yeah. Krallice is great. I like Dimensional Bleedthrough and Years Past Matter the most. I'm not quite convinced to their latest LP and EP, but I have to give them more tries.

Probably my favourite track by them:

Although the first and the last one from YPM stand out as well. The ending of IIIIIIIIIIII is mind-blowing (from around 14:40)...

Back