Black Metal

Bunget. A ridiculous word in my ears. Sounds like a cross of Bunghole and Baphomet (Beavis and Butthead and Grave Digger).

Not exactly black, strictly speaking, but pretty close. And still one of my absolute favourites after twenty something years.

I finally decided to give black metal a shot. Hadn't heard a single black metal album until this week.

Heard In the Nightside Eclipse by Emperor, Under the Sign of the Black Mark by Bathory, Bergtatt - Et eeventyr i 5 capitler by Ulver and At the Heart of Winter by Immortal so far. Absolutely loved the Emperor record, I thought the Bathory record was meh, the Ulver record sounded intriguing but too unpolished, did not enjoy the Immortal record whatsoever.

Suggestions are welcome, I'm likely to listen to the suggested albums straight away.

• Keep Of Kalessin - Armada and Reptilian
  • Enslaved - Axioma Ethica Odini, RIITIIR and In Times
  • Dark Funeral - The Secrets Of The Black Arts
  • Anaal Nathrakh - Hell Is Empty & All The Devils Are Here and In The Constellation Of The Black Widow
  • Watain - Lawless Darkness
  • Windir - 1184
  • Borknagar - Urd and Winter Thrice
  • Absu - Abzu
  • Dark Fortress - Venereal Dawn
  • Inquisition - Obscure Verses For The Multiverse
  • Kampfar - Profan
  • I - Between Two Worlds

...I need to stop myself now.

If you like In the nightside eclipse, you should check put Arcturus - Aspera hiems symfonia and Dissection - The somberlain.

You should also check out another Bathory record, Blood fire death and especially Hammerheart, Hammerheart is very different from Under the sign.

Arcturus: Aspera Hiems Symfonia and La Masquerade Infernale.
Ulver: Bergtatt, Kveldssanger and Nattens Madrigal
Borknagar: Borknagar and The Olden Domain
Satyricon: Dark Medieval Times and The Shadowthrone
Thorns: Thorns
Gorgoroth: Destroyer
Burzum: everything up to and including Filosofem
Enslaved: Hordanes Land and Vikingligr Veldi to Blodhemn (love all their stuff in fact)

everything by Primordial but especially the first four, Imrama to Storm Before Calm

and a lot more of course

... including Bathory's first six, probably starting with Hammerheart and Blood Fire Death...

plus Negură Bunget's OM

Three words: Vintersorg - Till Fjälls

But also

• Enslaved - Axioma Ethica Odini, RIITIIR and In Times
  • Borknagar - Urd and Winter Thrice
  • Dark Fortress - Venereal Dawn
I would not go into Anaal Natrakh myself, because they're pretty specific and I'm not even sure about their black-metalness (honestly, they feel closer to latter-day Cattle Decapitation to me, but what do I know?)

Also,
Drudkh - Microcosmos
Slechtvalk - At the Dawn of War
Darkthrone - pretty much everything
Antestor - The Forsaken
Primordial - Spirit the Earth Aflame or To the Nameless Dead
Agalloch - whatever

You've already begun with Emperor (and therefore Ihsahn), so...

...just wanted to say...

...don't...

...go for Mayhem. They suck. Especially Mysteriis. If you'd like to hear a sonic representation of an overweight bloke trying to fight constipation in the lavatory, I'd still recommend some other bands for that.

My black metal period was a long time ago and I don't remember much about the albums but these could suit you.

Diabolical Masquerade - Nightwork
Dimmu Borgir - Enthrone Darkness Triumphant
Satyricon - Nemesis Divina
Gorgoroth - Under the Sign of Hell + their 00s material should be cool as well

You like it? Including the vocals? I'm not trying to be an arse, I just don't get it at all. IRYO, but Csihar's retarded groans would make me hate better bands.

To tell you the truth, it took me quite some time indeed to get used to Attila's vocals. I used to hate them, and Freezing Moon with Dead beats the album version any time. Still, I think this is Mayhem's best release - but I totally agree with you it's probably not the best introduction to Black Metal.

Years ago, when I completely brushed black metal off upon first impression, Mayhem was one of the few bands I heard.

But in all fairness, around the same time I had also brushed death metal off, so it may not be band related per se. Death metal became one of my favorite genres as time went along, so figured I'd give black metal a chance too.

There's a lot of uninspired childish poseur rubbish in black metal without any doubt. And some remarkably original, creative and from-the-heart stuff as well.

uninspired childish poseur rubbish

That's pretty much how I feel about the genre's "Satanism". I actually appreciate thoughtful criticism or speaking against Christianity or religion, if it's done intelligently (Rush, Epica), I just don't want to hear five-grader-style lyrics about the decaying Nazarene or whatever. That's one of the reasons I've completely given up on Belphegor.

Back