"Biography" official website (the band)

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
I completely missed this "new" piece. I guess it probably came on the site somewhere in 2013 or even 2014?
Did you people see it already? --> http://ironmaiden.com/the-band.html

I thought this part was interesting to read. For the first time in 15 years, these albums from the nineties are mentioned (although not by name) by an official band source. They are not just mentioned, they even get comments, positive comments:

.... The ‘90s proved to be a difficult time for heavy metal bands in general, but Iron Maiden ploughed doggedly forward, notching up yet more success with albums like 1992’s acclaimed Fear Of The Dark and even weathering the departure of Bruce Dickinson in 1993. The band made two strong albums with new singer Blaze Bayley and continued to honour their commitment to intensive touring, delivering the goods at every show. However, it was the return of Dickinson and guitarist Adrian Smith (who originally left the band in 1990) in 1999 when Iron Maiden became a six-piece, that established the ultimate Iron Maiden line-up of Bruce Dickinson on vocals, Steve Harris on bass, Nicko McBrain on drums and “the three amigos” – Adrian Smith, Dave Murray and Janick Gers - on guitar. This line-up has scaled new heights and become increasingly fearless and boldly creative since the release of the Brave New World album in 2000.

With both 2003’s diverse and ingenious Dance Of Death album and its dark and daring follow-up, 2006’s A Matter Of Life And Death, they dazzled fans and critics alike. With each successive tour, whether revisiting classic songs from their first few albums or playing A Matter Of Life And Death in its entirety, Maiden accrued countless new young admirers, momentum building all the while.

This brave new Maiden era reached an astonishing zenith during the band’s Somewhere Back In Time Tour that began in February 2008 and initially took the band 50,000 miles around the world in 45 days, flying in their own specially chartered Boeing 757, Ed Force One, piloted by Bruce Dickinson, a qualified airline captain, traversing the planet, from India to Costa Rica, Australia to Argentina, Sao Paulo to Tokyo. ...

Last edited:
I completely missed this "new" piece. I guess it probably came on the site somewhere in 2013 or even 2014?

I'm pretty sure I read that three years ago already. And I'm afraid I can't see anything special about it.

Perhaps my memory is working better than yours, for once in a while, but I thought this current bio is different from what you wrote here:
Reliability is one thing. The Maiden website was never really reliable on things such as the discography... I remember one single, I think it was Futureal, was released in "Autumn 1998" or something to that effect. So in that sense, the discography now in fact is better, because with that little information, the chance of making mistakes is minimised.
But what bothers me is the way they really do appear to disown their non-Bruce past by now. I don't know who is responsible for this, but seeing how all songs originally sung by Paul or Blaze in the original are now live versions on the new compilation albums - incidentally the only ones listed on the new website - and that there is no mention at all of them or any other past member on the website is very disturbing. At least the old band bios made a passing reference to Blaze. Let's hope this is just poor, marketing-oriented website design and not a deliberate purge of the band's history.

Yeah, but I remember they changed it pretty soon afterwards. So maybe it wasn't three years ago, but two.

Alright. Apart from the update on the "recent" tour, then.

Well, I don't remember anyone mentioning that change (which is special already ;-).
At least Blaze is credited for something again, now that sale time (the nineties compilation) is over.

Well, I still think the website looks like a cheap magazine ad. If you wouldn't know Iron Maiden was a band, you'd still not know after skimming the site.

I know you maintain your point, but someone out there must have realized that Blaze was removed. :D

Having Blaze in is definitely better than not having him in, so I'm not criticising them for that.. :p

Back