1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Song/Album of 2016

Discussion in 'Best of / Worst of Polls forum' started by Ariana, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Ariana

Ariana Purple leopard

Just one day before 2016 officially throws in the towel and quits reaping celebrities, I invite you to think back over the past 12 months and pick your favourite songs and albums.

Post your suggestions for the best songs and albums of the year here and see if you would be willing to second/endorse other members' suggestions. We will pick the most supported ones and have a poll to determine the winners.

Each member can nominate up to 3 songs and 3 albums.

2. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

Nice.

songs:
    1) Buckethead - Oneiric Pool Part 7 (Click here to listen, or listen here (see spoilers)), from Oneiric Pool, released on October 27th. Length: 5:58
    2) Buckethead - Sparks in the Dark (Click here to listen, or listen here (see spoiler)), from Sparks in the Dark, released on December 9th. Length: 5:30
    3) Buckethead - A Long Days Walk (Click here to listen, or listen here (see spoiler)), from Sparks in the Dark, released on December 9th. Length: 9:26

albums:
    1) Buckethead - Oneiric Pool (Click here to listen, or listen here (see spoiler)), released on October 27th. Length: 28:47
    2) Buckethead - Buildor (Click here to listen or listen here (see spoiler)), released on January 23rd. Length: 28:30
    3) Metallica - Hardwired... to Self-Destruct, released on November 18th.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    Zare and CriedWhenBrucieLeft like this.
  3. mckindog

mckindog Living for Sanctuary from the law Staff Member

This won't be hard. According to my iTunes, I have only bought two albums released in 2016.
    Maybe this thread can correct that.

I give you the first singles from mediocre albums from a pair of bands I like a lot, but didn't blow me away with their latest

4. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

I'm going to post my top ten in the other 2016 thread soon, will copy that list over here.

Favorite songs that aren't in my top ten albums:

Abbath - Winter Bane, Count the Dead
    Amon Amarth - First Kill, Raise Your Horns
    Metallica - Atlas Rise, Spit Out the Bone
    Opeth - Chrysalis, Era
    Quilt - Hissing My Plea, Roller
    Frost - Towerblock
    Krallice - Hyperion

5. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

The only new albums I heard this year were the new releases of favorite bands, so I'm very limited here.

Albums

Metallica - Hardwired...to Self-Destruct
    Opeth - Sorceress
    Taksim Trio - Ahi

Songs

Metallica - Dream No More
    Opeth - Era
    Taksim Trio - Leylifer

I don't expect the Taksim Trio stuff to get seconded obviously, but that's my hail mary attempt at bringing variety. :D

6. Perun

Perun Climbing like a monkey Staff Member

Albums
    Moonsorrow - Jumaiten Alka
    Alter Bridge - The Last Hero
    I'm still torn on the third one. It would be either Sword Songs by Grand Magus or The Dark Hereafter by Winterfylleth. I'll try to make up my mind in the next few days.

Songs
    Alter Bridge - Writing on the Wall
    Grand Magus - Every Day There's a Battle to Fight
    Firewind - Ode to Leonidas

7. Black Wizard

Black Wizard Out of the Silent Planet

Albums:
    Anthrax - For All Kings
    Killswitch Engage - Incarnate
    Delain - Moonbathers

Songs:
    Anthrax - Breathing Lightning
    Delain - Danse Macabre
    Alter Bridge - Poison in Your Veins

8. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

CriedWhenBrucieLeft Ancient Mariner

This is pretty much what I've already said (& posted) in the Best New Music of 2016 thread. Admittedly I haven't bought or listened to that many albums actually releases this year, but I doubt very much they would get even close to any of the following...

Albums
    Buildor (Pike #224) ~ Buckethead
    The Five Blocks (Pike #237) ~ Buckethead
    Heavy. Deep. Sad. Ironic ~ Artificial Waves

Songs
    Buildor part 1 (Pike #224) ~ Buckethead
    Drift (Pike #231) ~ Buckethead
    Inspiring Insomnia ~ Artificial Waves

Forostar likes this.
  9. Lampwick 43

Lampwick 43 Waiting in line at the ending of time

I haven't listened to a lot of new music this year, but I'll nominate Dystopia by Megadeth for best album since no one else has yet.

10. bearfan

bearfan Ancient Mariner

Not really a ton this year that I thought was great, but I did enjoy

Metallica .. Hardwired
    Purson .. Desire's Magic Theater

... really not that much. A lot of other albums I liked or thought were good, but not a ton really stuck out as being top notch. 2017 looks like it will be better

11. Cornfed Hick

Cornfed Hick Electric Eye

@Ariana: a poll seems like a good idea. Feel free to pluck people's lists from the other, nearly identical thread here: Best New Music of 2016

12. Whooten

Whooten Nomad

Oranssi Pazuzu

Mosh likes this.
  13. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

Not much 2016 music has really stuck for me.

Albums:
    Gojira - Magma
    Be'Lakor - Vessels

I also feel obliged to nominate Sabaton - The Last Stand, partly because I enjoyed the hell out of it and partly because Sabaton always ignites a love/hate response and it's entertaining :D

Songs:
    Gojira - Silvera
    Be'Lakor - Roots to Sever
    Metallica - Moth Into Flame

I'd second Forostar and The Flash's nomination of Metallica - Hardwired...to Self-Destruct for albums, and Mosh's nominations of Abbath - Winterbane, and Amon Amarth - First Kill, for songs.

14. Cornfed Hick

As indicated in the other thread, I would second/support the nomination of Hardwired and Sorceress, as well as the Alter Bridge album, which I only just started listening to based on that thread. I'd second/support the nominations of Moth Into Flame, Chrysalis and Era for best song.

As indicated in the other thread, my other top albums (in addition to Hardwired and Sorceress) were non-metal offerings, Puberty 2 by Mitski (my fave album of 2016) and My Woman by Angel Olsen. I don't expect those to do well here, but they are really good and, fuck it, I'll nominate them.

Songs:
    Your Best American Girl - Mitski
    starts slow, then builds and gets pretty rockin' at 2:12

Spring 1974 - Opeth
    (no YouTube video available)

and, just for fun, I'll nominate

1985 - Kvelertak

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  15. Night Prowler

Night Prowler ɹǝlʍoɹԀ ʇɥƃᴉN Staff Member

You guys really need to check out some lesser known bands, only thing Hardwired has going for itself is Metallica's logo on it.

Albums:

1. Borknagar - Winter Thrice
    Easily album of the year. Perfect from start to finish. Best congregation of awesome vocalists on one album in a long time. Also they managed to mix in pretty much every worthy metal genre and make it smooth as fuck, although it's predominantly prog with some black metal influences. Terminus has the best chorus released this year without any competition.
    Best songs: Terminus, title track.

2. Witherscape - The Northern Sanctuary
    Dan Swanö shows once again how awesome he is. Doesn't restrict himself to one specific genre and just plays whatever he wants. Another album that's hard to pinpoint genre-wise, but it's most often prog rock/melodeath although there are lots of influences from classic heavy/power metal and hard rock. Title track easily the best epic of 2016.
    Best songs: title track, Wake Of Infinity, Marionette.

3. Anaal Nathrakh - The Whole Of The Law
    Not their best but another kickass album. A bit darker compared to last few albums (for a band this dark, going darker really means something) and they added some electronic influences here and there to mix things up. Only wish I was able to listen to it more on headphones.
    Best songs: Hold Your Children Close & Pray For Oblivion, Of Horror & The Black Shawls.

Songs:

1. Borknagar - Terminus
    Tried not to put anything from the above albums here but Terminus is just too fucking good.

2. Ramin Djawadi - Light Of The Seven
    I dunno if this song has the same impact if you haven't seen GoT but it's the best song from a soundtrack/score since The Rains Of Castamere.

3. Trees Of Eternity - A Million Tears
    Really depressing that this album is all we're ever get from this band :(

Also seconding this:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  16. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

Seconding this. Only barely missed out on my top ten.

Night Prowler likes this.
  17. Cornfed Hick

I'll second this. I don't like growling vocals, but everything else from this band is pretty damn good.
    You're right, there have been way too many Mitski-related posts on this forum...:p

18. Collin

Collin MARK IT ZERO!

I spent most of the year discovering songs of the past, so I haven't listened to very much this year. With that being said I think A7X's 'The Stage' is the best song of the year.

19. Ariana

Ariana Purple leopard

Thanks for the contributions. I'll draw up a list of all mentioned songs and albums over the weekend, so if anyone else wants to nominate, there is still some time left.

20. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

I'm seconding

CriedWhenBrucieLeft likes this.