Best New Music 2024 edition

Dunno if this is the most appropriate pace but I couldn't find threads for either artist, anyways I just heard Dragonforce's cover of Taylor Swift's Wildest Dreams. Now I get that they built their career over this image of "meme band" because of the overly technical solos and shit... but this had me lmao :bigsmile:

BTW I just noticed that they'll end their tour in Wacken on 3 August, and that Taylor Swift plays in Wien on 8-10 August... that's not going to happen but in an ideal world she's calling them on stage to play Wildest Dreams the Dragonforce version.

The new Amaranthe album - The Catalyst - just released. It's pretty much exactly what you'd expect from an Amaranthe album, for better or worse, but I tend to enjoy their specific brand of absurdity so a thumbs up from me.

MY FAVOURITE FEBRUARY ALBUMS:

Febfavs.png

• IHSHAN - Ihshan
  • STEVE HACKETT - The Circus and the Nightwhale
  • ALBION - Lakesongs of Elbid
  • THUNDER - Live at Islington Academy
  • OVERWORLD DREAMS - Geography
  • LUCIFER - Lucifer V
  • BLAZE BAYLEY - Circle of Stone
  • KARFAGEN & ANTONY KALUGIN - Messages from Afar: Second Nature
  • MADDER MORTEM - Old Eyes, New Heart
  • REVOLUTION SAINTS - Against the Winds
  • THUNDER - Live at Leeds
  • UFO - Lights Out (2024 Remaster)

Sonata arctica are definetly back for full with Clear cold beyond, in my opinion their best music in 20 years! So amazing to hear them inspired again, lot of power songs, nod to past songs, and Tony Kakko sound more comfortable singing these songs compared to Talviyö

Last edited:
A second new song from the upcoming Unleash the Archers album:

I'm still not convinced by their story concepts but I am enjoying the increased presence of the bass on this compared to the songs from the previous albums - it feels less thin.

MY FAVOURITE MARCH ALBUMS:

favsmarch.png

• BRUCE DICKINSON - The Mandrake Project (Metal)
  • MONKEY 3 - Welcome to the Machine (Instrumental Prog Metal)
  • JUDAS PRIEST - Invincible Shield (Metal)
  • THE END MACHINE - The Quantum Phase (Hard Rock / Metal)
  • AMANDA WHITING - The Liminality of Her (Jazz)
  • RAGE - Afterlifelines (Metal)

There are two songs out from an upcoming Seven Spires album, due out June 21st:

I like the first, but the second is not for me.

There are two songs out from an upcoming Seven Spires album, due out June 21st:

I like the first, but the second is not for me.
I've heard a lot about this band, but this is my first time giving them a real listen.

What....exactly....are they aiming for? The first song is pure Nightwishcore with a brief death/black metal bridge vocal, the second the exact opposite, modern death/black worship with a ridiculous tapping bass solo and a wailing clean chorus. I really dig the diversity here, and that vocalist is insanely versatile, but it all feels a bit kitchen sink.

I've heard a lot about this band, but this is my first time giving them a real listen.

What....exactly....are they aiming for? The first song is pure Nightwishcore with a brief death/black metal bridge vocal, the second the exact opposite, modern death/black worship with a ridiculous tapping bass solo and a wailing clean chorus. I really dig the diversity here, and that vocalist is insanely versatile, but it all feels a bit kitchen sink.
Musically I'd say they're broadly symphonic, but within that umbrella they experiment with a lot of different genres - power metal, death metal, black metal, even a little bit of dance on the previous album. I think most people could find at least one song they like on any of their albums - I really like when they do any kind of clean power metal, for example.

Lyrically speaking, everything is a concept album and they're all connected. I'm not really a fan of this personally - there is a lot of repetition in the lyrics, I don't think the songs work as well individually and the overarching story itself doesn't interest me - but your mileage may vary.

Back