Best Music Video Survivor - Rammstein win!

Do you agree with the results?

• Yes

• No

• Farcey McFarceface

Results are only viewable after voting.

Brigantium

General of the Dark Army
Staff member
Welcome to the Best Music Video Survivor!

Coming up are 60 music videos, mostly selected from the nominations thread, with the exception of 3 Iron Maiden videos chosen by an elite team of experts (you people know who you are). I’ve had to scythe down the nominations to keep the numbers manageable, and missed out a couple that fell further outside of the preferred rock/metal remit.

The aim is simple – chose your favourite videos from each group. It’s up to you if you want to vote based purely on the merits of the video itself, or if you feel video and song complement each other.

For full details of nomination criteria see the original nominations thread.

The Game
Round 1 – Ten groups, each containing 6 videos. Two videos from each group will progress to the next round.
Round 2 – The winner of each group will take on the runner-up from another group.
Round 3 – Elimination round for the top ten.

If any videos gain a lot of votes in Round 1 but fail to make it into first or second place, I may run a bonus playoff round.

Full listing of videos in the game is as follows (alphabetical by artist):
Arckanum – Gava Fran Trulan
Bathory – One Rode to Asa Bay
Beastie Boys – Sabotage
Bruce Dickinson – Killing Floor
Butthole Surfers – Who Was in My Room Last Night
Cradle of Filth – Babalon AD
Dire Straits – Money For Nothing
Dio – Holy Diver
Evanescence – Everybody’s Fool
Foo Fighters – Everlong
Foo Fighters – Learn To Fly
Peter Gabriel – Digging in the Dirt
Peter Gabriel – Sledgehammer
Genesis – Land of Confusion
Ghoul – Metallicus Ex Mortus
Gorefest - For the Masses
Guns N Roses – November Rain
Guns N Roses – Welcome to the Jungle
Immortal – Call of the Wintermoon
Immortal - Blashyrkh (Mighty Ravendark)
Iron Maiden – The Number of the Beast
Iron Maiden – Wasted Years
Iron Maiden – Holy Smoke
Judas Priest – Turbo Lover
Korn – Freak on a Leash
Linkin Park – Breaking the Habit
Megadeth – Sweating Bullets
Meshuggah – New Millennium Cyanide Christ
Metallica – One
Metallica – Enter Sandman
Metallica – I Disappear
Midnight Oil – Pictures
Midnight Oil & Warumpi Band - Blackfella-Whitefella / The Dead Heart
Midnight Oil – Blue Sky Mine
Gary Moore & Phil Lynott – Out In The Fields
Muse - Knights of Cydonia
Pantera – Revolution is my Name
Pearl Jam – Do The Evolution
Pink Floyd – Welcome To The Machine
Placebo – Pure Morning
Queen – Bohemian Rhapsody
Queen – I Want To Break Free
Rage Against The Machine - Freedom
Rammstein – Ich Will
Rammstein – Sonne
Red Fang – Blood Like Cream
Red Hot Chilli Peppers – Californication
REM – All The Way to Reno
Revocation – The Grip Tightens
Rush – Distant Early Warning
Rush - Subdivisions
Sepultura – Ratamahatta
Soundgarden – Black Hole Sun
Steven Wilson – Drive Home
Swashbuckle – Cruise Ship Terror
Tenacious D – Tribute
Tool - Stinkfist
The White Stripes – I Just Don’t Know What To Do With Myself
Twisted Sister – We’re Not Gonna Take It
Van Halen – Panama

Round 1, Group 1

First three:

Second three:

NOTE - I've only split the group between two posts as there's a five video limit per post.

This group will run for a week - ending December 20. TWO videos will go through to the next round.

The Dire Straits video is actually unavailable for me. I was able to look up and find another video of it that worked, though.

Tool's videos are all extremely creepy from what I've seen, but they are so different from everything else out there that I have to give this one my vote. Also going with Tribute. Tenacious D is a guilty pleasure, and this song is a classic.

Tenacious D for the lolz.
Tool for the creeps.

Exact opposite for me. I found myself thinking, they're both trying way too hard. A great video to me should complement and enhance the song; those two overwhelm the song.

Bruce (the story in this video actually makes some kind of sense) and I FUCKING LOVE TWISTED SISTER.

Also, this Bruce video proves he has played piano before Empire! :eek:

A great video to me should complement and enhance the song; those two overwhelm the song.

I see what you're saying, and I can understand it with regards to the Tool song. I don't think this is the case with the Tenacious D song, however. To me the video compliments the song perfectly, and actually even adds to the experience.

It wasn't until I was doing a final check that all the links worked that it struck me these are all pretty decent videos. It was difficult not to choose Bruce's video, as that's a good 'un, but I'm going to go for Tribute and Money for Nothing. I actually find it hard to listen to these songs without the videos coming to mind.

Money for Nothing & We're Not Gonna Take It

I like the Tribute video as well but most of my appreciation for it comes from the song itself and not the video.

1) Money for Nothing. I hate the song, but it's a well-executed video.
2) Stinkfist. I'm not quite sure what I've just watched, but whatever it is, it's great.

I find plenty of comedy in the 9 minutes of people walking in slow motion that Bathory call a music video.
I for one (can't speak for everybody) have always found that Bathory video pretty epic. Quorthon was a genius, and a great songwriter. It also helps that 'One Rode to Asa Bay' is my favorite Bathory song.

Back