Best music in 2014

Night Prowler

Customer Deathcycle Manager
Staff member
I think it's time for this. I'm gonna make my list tomorrow.

Try and post at least 5 albums and at least 5 songs, hope that's not too much :P

Oh man, where to start? So much great music this year. Here's 5 albums that I've been into most this year:

a0495765240_2.jpg

Clipping - CLPPNG (Hip-Hop)

This is possibly my favorite release of the year. Clipping is a hip hop trio (two producers and one MC) out of Los Angeles who create a unique blend of industrial/experimental beats and satirical gangsta rap lyrics. Much like what Frank Zappa did with rock/pop on the Freak Out! album. Despite that though, this is a very accessible record. Lots of catchy hooks and some infectious beats. The beats are really what make this album so great too. You've get some really interesting beats here, like the industrial Body and Blood, the alarm clock beat of Get Up (the way it harmonizes with itself as the song builds is sublime), and the hypnotic haze of Dream. The way this album flows is really great too, every song seems to move seamlessly into the next and there's even a bit of a conceptual run from Tonight to Get Up. The lyrics can be pretty offputting at first, despite being satire it's hard to tell at face value and they may come off as shallow, but I think there's some good rhyming on here and some really cool rhythmic stuff happening. Great release overall, one of the best hip hop albums I've heard.

Mastodon_-_once_more_%27round_the_sun.jpg

Mastodon - Once More 'Round the Sun (Metal)

This is seriously Mastodon's best album. Everything they've done leads up to this record and culminates in the closest thing this band has gotten to perfection. The only two songs I didn't really dig are Tread Lightly and Halloween, but even those songs have some great things happening. There's something for everyone to enjoy here: There's the sludgy riffs that this band cut their teeth on, some proggy elements, and some hooks that rival those found on The Hunter. Whereas every other Mastodon albums have had good songs but don't really flow well as an album which made them a band where I'll listen to select songs but rarely put on a whole album, but Once More totally changes that. This album is easily their most complete offering, with a great flow from start to finish and a very rewarding ending in the epic Diamond in the Witch House. Best Metal album I've heard in a long time and The Motherlode might be my favorite single release this year.

Swans_To_Be_Kind.jpg

Swans - To Be Kind (Experimental Rock)

Swans has been around since the 1980s, so it was a bit of a surprise that they only fell on my radar this year. And what a great album to be introduced with. I'm not going to lie: This album is extremely dense. I've only managed to get through the entire 2 disc affair 2 or 3 times and the 2nd disc is still growing on me. The first disc is absolutely perfect though and the 2nd disc has some great stuff too. Each song provides a different flavor yet everything goes really well together. There are rockers with buildups reminiscent of Tool such as the opening Screen Shot, slabs of noise in songs like She Loves Us, and infectious grooves like the villainous A Little God In My Hands. There's lots to get into here and for such a dense affair, I found it surprisingly easy to get into. While this band has a sound of their own, I can't help but be reminded of early Pink Floyd in a lot of this stuff. Think Saucerful of Secrets or some of the stuff on Ummagumma. Except this stuff is way better and more coherent. Experimental rock at its finest.

Animals-As-Leaders-The-Joy-of-Motion.jpg

Animals As Leaders - The Joy of Motion (Instrumental Progressive Metal/Djent)

This is Animals As Leaders' third album. While I enjoyed their first two albums quite a bit, I didn't get as excited about them as others seemed to. This album changed everything. The material on the old stuff was good but it often felt like they were trying to boast their guitar abilities over everything else, whereas on Joy of Motion, it feels like they're trying to infuse their technical abilities with more interesting songwriting. The results: Better songs, more musical variety, and more replay value. Like Mastodon, they were more of a songs band for me, but this is an album I can frequently enjoy all in one go. The guitar solos are much better here too, much more soulful. The way this band's technical chops blend with the catchy songwriting and great riffing makes this one of the more exciting instrumental metal records I've heard. If you like guitar driven instrumental rock/metal, this album is a must.

Septicflesh-Titan-800x800.jpg

Septicflesh - Titan (Symphonic Death Metal)

I've already praised this album a couple of times on this forum, so I'll keep this brief, but god damn if this isn't one of the best Metal albums I've heard. The riffs are brutal, the vocals are intense, and the orchestrations add an extra dimension that gives me chills. This is what Death Metal needs: the melodic stuff handled by the orchestra with the band (including singer) providing texture and intensity.

And here's three EP's as a bonus :D

PERIPHERY-CLEAR-COVER.jpg

Periphery - Clear (Progressive Metal/Djent)

Stellar EP. While Periphery are best known as pioneers of the Djent movement, this disc is a bit of a departure from that. The idea of this EP is that each song is entirely composed by a different member of the band, with each member getting one song. They got to control everything; from songwriting to recording to production and everything in between. The result is a very nice variety of songs. There's some straight ahead rockers (Parade of Ashes, The Summer Jam) mixed in with some instrumental work (Zero, Extraneous). It really gives a good look at how this band operates and what each member brings to the table creatively. This is a good gateway album for Periphery too; the songs are very catchy and for those who aren't really into harsh vocals, the majority of this is clean. Nice little side step before we get a full length album next year!

a1982007107_2.jpg

Chon - Woohoo! (indie/progressive/math rock)

At 16 minutes, this EP is really short, yet it managed to leave a huge impression on me. This is very relaxing music that manages to be both technically challenging and catchy all at the same time. You don't need to be really into technical music to enjoy Chon, as the technical stuff never gets in the way of the songwriting. That's the best way to utilize complicated stuff I think. There's a nice mix of instrumental songs here, with vocals used somewhat sparingly. This never demands your attention and is good if you want something mellow or fun.

Stream the whole album here.

Restorations_by_Haken.jpg

Haken - Restoration (Progressive Metal)

In a genre cluttered with Dream Theater clones, Haken is by far the best up and coming prog act out there. Seriously, these guys are extremely close to dethroning Dream Theater for me. After the instant classic that was The Mountain last year, I was a bit concerned that it'd be all downhill from there. Restoration effectively removed all doubts I had. This EP features reworks of three songs from their original demo. The changes are quite dramatic and each song is significantly improved and it sounds as you'd expect it to: This is what it'd sound like if those songs were written by current Haken. Despite being old material, this is a clear progression from The Mountain and hints at what direction they're heading in. This band is an actual progressive band with their own sound that is evolving. The music here is heavy yet melodic and at times majestic. It's proggy but without flab, it doesn't go off the rails in instrumental wankery and the instrumental sections feel like they serve an actual purpose to the song. Awesome stuff; I can't wait to see what this band has in store next year!

Last edited:
5 is too much for me. :) For me, there's way too much older music to discover first.
Again a year without Maiden (related) releases. Hopefully that will change in 2015.

AtTheGatesAtWarWithReality.png

At the Gates - At War with Reality
After 19 years of studio silence this is not a bad comeback! There are a few meh songs on this not very short album, but there's also a chunk of fine boneslashing material. This last album tried to combine the sheer force of Slaughter of the Soul with more variety from older releases. I prefer that last aspect of the band, especially when they add melodic riffs and solos (Terminal Spirit Disease is still my favourite At the Gates record, because of these aspects).
The artwork inside the booklet is some of the best I have ever seen. Magnificent.

Scar-Symmetry-The-Singularity-Neohumanity.png

Scar Symmetry - The Singularity (Phase I - Neohumanity)
After a few months I am a bit less enthousiastic than when I first heard it. I wonder how real those drums and vocals are. Still, this is a grand collection of awesome riffs and solos. Several choruses stay well in your head, so that's a good thing. Looking forward to the next release!

JudasPriestRedeemerSouls.png

Judas Priest - Redeemer of Souls
This is an average Priest album (perhaps even below avarage) but I still like the majority of the songs on it. Hell & Back and Secrets of the Dead contained some non done-to-death elements. And Down in Flames is one of the better songs from the last two decades. The final song of the first disc ends with a delicate ballad with sensitive guitar work. I am planning to see Priest in 2015 so I've got another thing coming!

Last edited:
There are a few meh songs on this not very short album
After a few months I am a bit less enthousiastic than when I first heard it.
This is an average Priest album (perhaps even below avarage)
How is this a top list then? :P Now seriously, maybe you should check out some of the stuff that will be posted in this thread :P

Primordial-Where-Greater-Men-Have-Fallen.jpg

Primordial - Where Greater Men Have Fallen

Number one is, of course and as expected the almighty Primordial doing what they do best and, let's face it, the only thing they do. This is far from being an original, groundbreaking album, but that's just how they are. I still think it's a lot more varied than their last one, and more on par with the immortal To the Nameless Dead. Much more aggressive and with stronger folk influences than the last one. If you need variation in your band, then Primordial is decidedly not for you. But if you just enjoy good music and lots of it, then give this a try.

Grand_Magus_-_Triumph_and_Power.jpg

Grand Magus - Triumph and Power

I first came across Grand Magus several years ago when I heard their Holy Diver ripoff, and basically took them to be a joke band. Then I included them with the Cheesevivör, but found that they have quite a bit to offer that goes in the epic/doom direction that I'm currently into. So when I got this one at a discount price somewhere in September (or August? Or earlier?) I listened to it non-stop. Literally. It's my most-listened album this year, a masterpiece of true epic doom metal that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Sabaton_Alblem_cover.jpg

Sabaton - Heroes

Of course, this one has to be mentioned. It's classic Sabaton from start to finish, always borderline ridiculous and just thoroughly enjoyable. Problem is, it's very, very short, and it has their worst track on it (Ballad of Bull), but otherwise, no complaints whatsoever. Sabaton delivering what I want from them.

PlaguesOfBabylon.jpg

Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon

I really wanted to hate this one, but I have to admit that it's Iced Earth returning to form. I was devastated at first when I heard how good it is, but now I'm happy about it.

project-arcadia-a-time-of-changes_1.jpg

Project Arcadia - A Time of Changes

An excellent heavy metal album by a band nobody ever heard of, despite the fact that they have Urban Breed in their ranks. Highly recommendable if you want high-quality songwriting and powerful metal to get you pumped.

a3056718253_10.jpg

Nocturnal Need - Napalm Nights

The perfect gift for anyone who likes extreme thrash with intelligent songwriting and full-throttle aggression. 'Nuff said.

Further mentions:

Barbarian - Faith Extinguisher: A blunt and raw thrash/black metal album, about as subtle as a sledgehammer, but a lot of fun.
Cobra - To Hell: Evidence that the NWoBHM finally arrived in Peru.
Wolves in the Throne Room - Celestite: Essentially just atmosphere, but done the right way, not the bubble gum Burzum way.
Sólstafir - Otta: The favourite band of metal hipsters, but I have to admit that this is really quite atmospheric and enjoyable.
Alestorm - Sunset on the Golden Age: A handful of great party songs, a bit of songwriting that just falls short of its ambitions, a lot of filler - in short, an Alestorm album.
Judas Priest - Redeemer of Soul: A sub par Priest album and a ridiculous disappointment.

Septicflesh-Titan-800x800.jpg

Septicflesh - Titan (Symphonic Death Metal)

I've already praised this album a couple of times on this forum, so I'll keep this brief, but god damn if this isn't one of the best Metal albums I've heard. The riffs are brutal, the vocals are intense, and the orchestrations add an extra dimension that gives me chills. This is what Death Metal needs: the melodic stuff handled by the orchestra with the band (including singer) providing texture and intensity.

Septic Flesh released a new album? How did I miss that? :blink:

Opeth_Pale_Communion_album_artwork.jpg

OPETH - Pale Communion

An album that delivers quality songs while still retaining a decidely-Opethian sound, even though it contains the most experimental material of their career (River). Mikael Akerfeldt built on the sound of Heritage and created a great batch of proggy, catchy songs.

Mike-LePonds-Silent-Assassins-620x400.png

Mike's Lepond's Silent Assassins
Symphony X's stellar bassist wrote and recorded this entire album, which harkens back to lots of classic metal and incorporates some very interesting musical passages. The vocals aren't my favorite and some of the keyboard sounds (provided by Michael Romeo, who also did many of the guitar solos and the drum programming) are obviously homemade, but the music is dead-on, classic metal. It makes me wish Lepond had more of a hand in writing for Symphony X.

Honestly, that's it as far as metal/rock records go for the year. I liked Animals as Leaders quite a bit, too.

Oh yeah, also this:

How is this a top list then? :p Now seriously, maybe you should check out some of the stuff that will be posted in this thread :p
These were for me the only, and most probably also the best releases from this year. I could check stuff by others (and I appreciate the efforts some people make), but at the moment I prefer to go back further in time.

I haven't heard enough new music this year to compile a meaningful list, but I will say the Opeth album is the best thing I've heard all year, and perhaps in the last 3 years. I liked the Priest and Mastodon albums fine, but neither has me repeatedly playing any tracks over and over like I've done with some albums (like Pale Communion).

In the non-metal/non-prog category, I do like First Aid Kit and their new album is OK, a few great tracks but with some filler. My assistant has been pushing St. Vincent on me, and I have to say it is interesting and not bad at all, probably not for everyone here, but she is actually a decent guitarist. Of the artists listed so far in this thread, the one that seems the most intriguing is Swans.

One album that seems to be on every professional music critic's list is the War on Drugs album, which I completely hated. A borefest. When did rock music become so lame?

One album that seems to be on every professional music critic's list is the War on Drugs album, which I completely hated. A borefest. When did rock music become so lame?

Agreed. I went out of my way to hear this and I thought that someone had tricked me. Boring, boring, boring.

In the non-metal/non-prog category, I do like First Aid Kit and their new album is OK, a few great tracks but with some filler. My assistant has been pushing St. Vincent on me, and I have to say it is interesting and not bad at all, probably not for everyone here, but she is actually a decent guitarist.
This is the third time in just the span of two days that I've seen praise for St.Vincent. Will have to check out!

Some of my favorite albums released this year:

Ace Frehley: "Space Invader"

Adelitas Way: "Stuck"

Drive By Truckers: "English Oceans"

Flying Colors: "Second Nature"

Kix: "Rock Your Face Off"

Slash: "World On Fire"

Lagwagon: "Hang"

Transatlantic: "Kaleidoscope"

Supersuckers: "Get the Hell"

It's been a pretty great music year:cheers:

It's been a really good year, this one, despite perhaps not being expected as such. The grand slam (or grand disappointment) is due next year when many of my favourite bands have planned releases (including Hardcore Superstar, The Darkness and Europe).

1. Mr. Big - ...The Stories We Could Tell

Hard rock supergroup Mr. Big released their eight album this year and earned the top spot on this list without a shadow of a doubt. Among a whole lot of excellent songs the album includes what I think is the best song of the decade in "Fragile" and it should as a whole satisfy anyone's need for great melodic hard rock and instrumental prowess. Before releasing the album, the band sadly went through publicly revealing drummer Pat Torpey's Parkinson-diagnosis, which left him unable to perform on the record.

2. Electric Boys - Starflight United

Swedish funk-metal band Electric Boys achieved cult-status quite soon after forming at the end of the 80's and reformed a few years ago after a 15 year long hiatus. This is their second album since the reunion and it comes with the usual doubts one has over bands reforming and coming up with new material seemingly well past their prime. Strong songwriting, great production and a confidence that shines through in every part of the release puts those doubts to rest, and for me this record was the biggest surprise this year.

3. Accept - Blind Rage

Third album from these German heavy-metal legends since reforming with American Mark Tornillo as their singer in 2009, and why change a winning concept? Andy Sneap once again produces, and he does so with his usual impeccable production that fits the band like the glove. The question is not longer if they can live up to the high expectations set by their now classic era, but if they were ever this good.

4. Crazy Lixx - S/t

The youngest band on this list this far, and one who has proven themselves again and again with their 80's inspired melodic hard rock since the debut in 2007. Now on their fourth full-length release, it's reassuring to see the band come out stronger and with more confidence after each member change. I can see past the re-recording of live favourite "Heroes are Forever" from their now out of print debut Loud Minority despite my dislike for such undertakings, because the album contains 10 new songs many of which are some of the strongest they have done this far.

5. H.E.A.T. - Tearing Down The Walls

When upcoming hardrockers H.E.A.T. announced that they had Swedish Idol winner Erik Grönwall as their new singer, more than a few were surprised. It seemed like an odd career move on both parts, but when the result was out there was no question of that he was the perfect choice for the band. This is their second album with Grönwall and fourth overall for a band that has a lot to live up to considering they're from the same small town as the band who wrote The Final Countdown. Fortunately, they have nothing to be ashamed of as Tearing Down The Walls is an excellent album.

Also been listening releases by AC/DC, Steel Panther, Hammerfall, Judas Priest, Foo Fighters, Bruce Springsteen, The War on Drugs, Black Label Society, Pink Floyd, Slash, Red Dragon Cartel, Sabaton, Opeth, Poets of the Fall, Laney's Legion, Takida, Drömriket and Mustasch.

Bring on 2015!

Last edited:
Some of the albums I would have mentioned would be up here, but there's one that's been overlooked imo:

Spacepolicebyedguy.jpg

Released on April 18th (my birthday), this album has a great combination of power metal cheese and thought provoking proficiency. It actually reminds me a fair bit of Blue Oyster Cult mixed with Hammerfall, a combo I love seeing as I'm a fan of both bands. Special songs to mention are the two title tracks, both fun, well-crafted songs that most will enjoy, and The Eternal Wayfarer, which is a candidate for potentially the song of the year.

thought provoking proficiency.
You mean idiocy? :) I haven't followed Edguy for years since they changed course (I especially didn't like their idiotic lyrics anymore). But since you recommend it, I'll play a few songs and see how it is.

Last edited:
A little late, but this is so good that everyone should check it out.

If you don't want to hear the whole album (despite its short length), just skip to the last track:
Beauty of the purest kind.

Yes, his name is ridiculous, yes he made 60 albums last year, yes he played in minor years with Guns'n'Roses, yes it is instrumental music, but NO, it is not guitar wankery. How unbelievable it sounds, this man is able to make strong music, which doesn't suffer from the quantity of his work.

This guys has written, at least on this album, such good riffs, with some of the best melodies imaginable. Try and you won't regret it.

Last edited:
Back