Best Iron Maiden Epic Track

Best Iron Maiden Epic Track

• Total voters

Mr Dicklesworth

The Man Who Walks Alone
Pretty Straightforward. What would you select as the best Epic Maiden has put out? Also, leave your impression of each song in a post

For me it would go,

Phantom Of The Opera: Insanely catchy and awesome song. It drags a little bit in the middle but it's still excellent

Hallowed Be Thy Name: Also insanely catchy. It feels like something out of a horror movie. Legendary guitar riff and great vocals by Bruce.

To Tame A Land: Awesome Intro, but really boring and repetitive song other than that

Rime Of The Ancient Mariner: Easily In the top 3. Best lyrics of any Maiden song before Seventh son came out. Perfect pacing and never gets boring

Alexander the Great: Haven't really listened to this one that much. It's pretty boring and fortgettable IMO

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son: Their best epic in my opinion. I get goosebumps every time I listen to it. It's just the perfect song

Mother Russia: Garbage

Fear Of The Dark: Pretty much the same deal as Hallowed

Sign Of The Cross: I absolutely love the first 5 minutes of it and feel Blaze does an excellent job with the vocals. I always turn it off after that though cause it get's boring and repetitive

The Clansman: Never listened to Virtual 11

Dream Of Mirrors: Just, meh. It's ok, but it suffers from too much chorus repetition.

Paschendale: Best epic from modern era Maiden. Great lyrics and execution.

FTGGOG: I think it's just okay. Nothing too amazing but nothing too terrible

WTWWB: Garbage

Last edited:
We've had this thread before and it ended with: "How do you define epic?"

I see you've selected one off of each album. My favourite Maiden song is Hallowed, followed by Alex, Seventh and so on but I have no favourite "epic" song.

You think Mother Russia and WTWWB are garbage and Sign of the Cross is repetitive? :eek: You should listen to the Rock in Rio version, the solos on that are amazing. After the long calmer part in the middle, the last third of the song is actually what I wait for the most when I listen to the song. You should listen to Virtual 11, not their best album of course but some very enjoyable songs on there, The Clansman included.

We've had this thread before and it ended with: "How do you define epic?"

I see you've selected one off of each album. My favourite Maiden song is Hallowed, followed by Alex, Seventh and so on but I have no favourite "epic" song.

You think Mother Russia and WTWWB are garbage and Sign of the Cross is repetitive? :eek: You should listen to the Rock in Rio version, the solos on that are amazing. After the long calmer part in the middle, the last third of the song is actually what I wait for the most when I listen to the song. You should listen to Virtual 11, not their best album of course but some very enjoyable songs on there, The Clansman included.

Yeah, I basically consider the "Epic" Maiden songs to just be the longest song off of each album. That's generally how l classify them.

In response to seeing the Rock in Rio versions of MR and WTWWB, I have and indeed like them a lot more than the studio versions. NPTFD just had really shitty production and quality in general, and Bruce just didn't sound that good in Final Frontier.

I still just can't get past the first half of Sign Of The Cross though. I just feel like the first segment with Blaze was just so explosive and awesome, that the guitar solo's later on just feel dull and drawn out. Also, I feel like Blaze's deeper and more sinister voice fits the song much better than Bruce's voice. Everyone's entitled to their opinion though

Phantom Of The Opera: [...] It drags a little bit in the middle...

Alexander the Great: Haven't really listened to this one that much. It's pretty boring and fortgettable IMO

Sign Of The Cross: I absolutely love the first 5 minutes of it and feel Blaze does an excellent job with the vocals. I always turn it off after that though cause it get's boring and repetitive

The Clansman: Never listened to Virtual 11

WTWWB: Garbage

171.gif
You're a funny guy.

In response to seeing the Rock in Rio versions of MR and WTWWB, I have

o_O

The epic definition is the real problem though certainly. I classify DoD as an epic and better than Paschendale, but it's shorter so not in the list. I'm probably alone in that I don't enjoy the back half of SSOASS, I like the start build up, but the quieter part onwards (yes, including solo's) I don't enjoy.

Overall my ratings would be the opposite to yours, almost entirely.

If we're talking "longest track off each album", then let's have Prodigal Son in there as well. Then, considering the studio versions plus how they go down live (especially with the six-piece line-up), I'd say:
1st Hallowed. Naturally.
2nd Rime of the Ancient Mariner. The rock solid way it chugs along telling the story, the atmosphere of the middle, the build-up and awesomeness of "Then down in falls comes the RAAAAIIIIIIIIIN!".
3rd To Tame a Land. It's a bit of a warm-up for Rime, but I love the riffs and the vibe.
4th Prodigal Son. One of my all-time favourite Maiden tracks and better for being a bit left-field.
5th Phantom. Oh yeah.
6th Paschendale. That guitar intro! The bombast!
7th The Clansman. "Free-dom! FREEDOM!"
8th Fear of the Dark. Just for the singalong and atmosphere when played live. And the fact it means you've just seen an awesome Maiden show but you've still got IM and the big Eddie, plus encores, to come.
9th Alexander the Great. Especially the acousticy, laid-back solo building into the great bit in the middle. You know what I mean.
10th Seventh Son. Nearly AtG, but not quite.
11th Sign of the Cross. What a way to open an album. And what a way to clear the air after the end of the Bruce era.
12th When the Wild Wind Blows. A bit too bits-and-pieces for me on the album, but live (En Vivo) it sounds really powerful.
13th For the Greater Good of God. I love AMOLAD, and this is a great song, but I think Bruce ties himself up a bit lyrically, and the chorus is a tiny bit nursery-rhyme-singalong (see also Quest for Fire).
14th Dream of Mirrors. This just feels like a second-half-of-Virtual-X1 track and is, IMO, the weakest on BNW.
15th Mother Russia. Less said the better.

o_O

The epic definition is the real problem though certainly. I classify DoD as an epic and better than Paschendale, but it's shorter so not in the list. I'm probably alone in that I don't enjoy the back half of SSOASS, I like the start build up, but the quieter part onwards (yes, including solo's) I don't enjoy.

Overall my ratings would be the opposite to yours, almost entirely.

Interesting. I'm not a fan of the quiet middle part of Seventh Son but the final 2 minutes are some of my favourite in their discography.

Interesting. I'm not a fan of the quiet middle part of Seventh Son but the final 2 minutes are some of my favourite in their discography.
Agreed. The first half of the song is bordering on the ridiculous, but when it just lets go into a frenzy of duelling guitars it's a beautiful thing to listen to.

Totally missed that part. Thanks, Idol. :lol:

Ugh, god damnit I sounded like such a noob here. I meant En Vivo for WTWWB, and the FF tour for MR. Don't know where RiR came from lol.

Anyway, I feel like the quiet part of Seventh Son fits really well. It's a nice break from the super epic vocals and operatic sound the first half has. It's also a really nice buildup to the end where it get's insane.

Back