Best Eddie

I voted. My personal favourites are BOS, X Factor & Somewhere in Time. Special mention to 'Live After Death' too.

This one is easy: KILLERS!

Powerslave is arguably the coolest album cover, given the incredible detail in the artwork, but when I try to picture Eddie, the Killers Eddie is the one that jumps to mind first. It's iconic.

Plus, he's killing someone with an axe! Can't get more badass than that.

Killers. LAD, SIASL, Trooper,

Those are the iconic ones for me.

As far as more recent stuff, what I love hasn't been on any covers, just shirts.
The nordic Eddies have been awesome.

Those are the only 10s.

Here's a thought - lots of people say that Virtual XI and No Prayer For The Dying are two of Maiden's worst covers, but I've never seen it; they're pretty cool IMO. Could it be that the reason people dislike the covers is because the albums themselves are some of Maiden's worst? (Popular opinion, of course.) Or are the covers themselves just not that good? (I'm refraining from talking about Fear of the Dark and The X Factor because the former seems to be pretty popular and the latter I can see where people come from, even if I like it myself.)

To be honest, I really really like TXF, and I think the cover sucks. I think it looks hokey and cheesy, and really quite brutal. I don't mind VXI, it's different, it's unique. It might not be in the upper echelon but I think it's pretty good.

Meanwhile, Fear of the Dark is possibly my least-favourite Iron Maiden album, and tree-Eddie is awesome.

Yeah, the basic TXF cover sucks, but I like the alternative one and use it on my CD. The sky behind Eddie creates a cool vibe, which fits the album perfectly.

I also like the closeup Eddie on the Man on the Edge single... looks pretty cool IMO.

Done. "Killers", "The Trooper", "Live After Death" and "Somewhere in Time" are my favorite. I gave 1 or 2 basically to things involving bad computer work (DoD, Rainmaker, Different World...), bad montages (RiR, En Vivo, RTTH 2002 single...) or useless remakes (new Maiden England, 98 remasters...).
As far as Maiden covers are concerned, nothing tops aerograph (preferably Derek Riggs's, but I like FOTD too).

To be honest, I really really like TXF, and I think the cover sucks. I think it looks hokey and cheesy, and really quite brutal. I don't mind VXI, it's different, it's unique. It might not be in the upper echelon but I think it's pretty good.
Agreed with all of this. The X Factor cover was such a misstep, I can't imagine it helping an already skeptical fanbase with Blaze. I've never understood the hate for the VXI cover. Looks like classic Maiden to me and a return to form after two very meh covers.

Fear of the Dark is an interesting one. I actually liked looking at the cover on the recent vinyl reissue, even though I've always kinda disliked tree Eddie. It has a neat vibe but it also doesn't seem right for a Maiden cover.

It was a shame Eddie lost continuity on No Prayer. I think it was fairly limiting what Derek Riggs could work on when given such an album title to work with. He'd already knocked the ball out the park on Live After Death. How could that be topped? The alternate Tailgunner sleeve was far superior & should have been used on the reissues.

Personally I don't think anyone else should have drawn Eddie but Riggs. I used to draw Riggs symbol on my schoolbooks, it was like the secret Maiden symbol hand in hand too.

Although I do like the new Eddie that Mark Wilkinson came up with. For me the best non Riggs art I've seen.

Last edited:
It's obvious that Riggs didn't give a shit anymore by 1988.

It's obvious that Riggs didn't give a shit anymore by 1988.
And still, he managed to 'inspire' Queen themselves:
queen_the_miracle.png

hqdefault.jpg

I think he still gave a shit in 1988. Look at the awesome Seventh Son cover, the 3 initial singles Can I Play with Madness, The Evil That Men Do and The Clairvoyant were all awesome and the tour books (all three of them) featured great artwork.
It was more like after the one year sabbatical in 1989 and the No Prayer record and subsequent singles he lost all interest.

Back