Best Band Ever: nomination thread

Do you want Best Keyboardist Game too?

• Total voters
I think Robert Plant didn't make the game, actually. NP picked five out of mckindog's nominations to fill out the game and Plant was not among his selections. Pretty crazy, considering he was Top 10 when this game was done the first time. -5 years ago-
Probably ain't that popular here anymore considering like 90+ singers were nominated before him :p But I'll reconsider.

Will keyboard players be the only musicians considered in addition to vocalists, drummers, guitarists and bassists?

Let's leave out the keyboard players. I rather have an all star band without one. Besides, (some of) the best players are dead. ;P

I think Robert Plant didn't make the game, actually. NP picked five out of mckindog's nominations to fill out the game and Plant was not among his selections. Pretty crazy, considering he was Top 10 when this game was done the first time. -5 years ago-

We gotta start over guys. Nominations..from the top.

How are the elimination process going to run? head to head matches or just pick your least faves? :huh:
Haven't decided yet. It'll be voting for your faves, that's certain. I think I'll have a few big groups to cut the number down to 64 (I think), before proceeding to head-to-head matches.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
f87cfb2faefca548464cd6e485ceef9a.gif

You realize that many of the vocalists nominated were inspired by (and even try hard to sound like) Robert Plant, right??
Plus, I note that we have more Scandinavians nominated than black singers. You racist bastards. :p:D

Probably ain't that popular here anymore considering like 90+ singers were nominated before him.
Only because I was out on vacation. :D

Guys, enough of the quips. More lists!
OK! Since I wasn't around to vote, I'll post my list of vocalists now anyway, and NP can choose to ignore or "fill in" the list with obvious misses, per his comment about Freddie Mercury.
My nominees (not yet nominated, I think): Sam Cooke, Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, Jackie Wilson, Paul McCartney, Janis Joplin, Aretha Franklin
My Top 8 (regardless of who nominated them):
1) Mercury
2) Dio
3) Benatar
4) Cooke
5) McCartney
6) Plant
7) Franklin
8) Joplin

I need 10 more guitarists for the game. After I get them, I'll post full lists for the vocalists and guitarists games before proceeding to bassists' nominations. As luck would have it, I miscalculated and there was one more spot in the vocalists' game, so Plant got in after all :p

My nominations:
Esa Holopainen
Jon Schaffer
Steve Stevens
Prince
Steve Lukather
Jeff Waters
André Olbrich
Dan Swano
Alexi Laiho
Gary Holt
Gus G
Obsidian Claw
Brent Hinds
Greg Mackintosh
Chris Oliva
Alex Skolnick

Noticed this way too late. I don't mind the vocalists, just tell me Russell Allen and Dio got in.

Would have also nominated:
LaBrie
Karevik
John Arch
Cedric Bixler-Zavala
Ray Alder
Roger Waters
Matt Smith (of Theocracy fame).

Gabriel has been nominated, I believe and Hammill too, right? Jon Anderson is not my favourite singer, but I still would have nominated him, I guess, or at least voted for him against many others.

However I still hope Plant does not get in. I'm probably alone in that regard, though...

My 7 guitarists go as following:
Tony MacAlpine
Paul Gilbert
Guthrie Govan
Tosin Abasi
Django Reinhardt
Mike Oldfield
Carlos Santana

Would vote for Petrucci, Romeo, Satch, Vai, Malmsteen, Fripp, Hackett, McLaughlin, Matheos, DiMeola but these have been all already nominated.

Last edited:
I can't deduce from Judas' post if he nominated the guitarists from his top 7, or if any of these were nominated, but can Django Reinhardt be in the game?

He wasn't a player of the rock genre but surely an import figure for many to come. E.g.:

Many guitar players, and musicians, have expressed admiration for Django Reinhardt, or have cited him as a major influence. Jeff Beck has described Reinhardt as "By far the most astonishing guitar player ever..." and "...quite superhuman..."[40]

Grateful Dead's Jerry Garcia and Black Sabbath's Tony Iommi, both of whom lost fingers in accidents, were inspired by Reinhardt's example of becoming an accomplished guitar player/musician, despite his injuries. Jerry Garcia was quoted in June 1985 in Frets Magazine:

"His technique is awesome! Even today, nobody has really come to the state that he was playing at. As good as players are, they haven’t gotten to where he is. There's a lot of guys that play fast and a lot of guys that play clean, and the guitar has come a long way as far as speed and clarity go, but nobody plays with the whole fullness of expression that Django has. I mean, the combination of incredible speed – all the speed you could possibly want – but also the thing of every note have a specific personality. You don’t hear it. I really haven’t heard it anywhere but with Django".

• "Django," an instrumental guitar piece by renowned blues-rock guitarist Joe Bonamassa, is in his honour. The piece was influenced by the violin introduction of "Vous et Moi" (Blues et Mineur, 1942, Brussels), in which Reinhardt played the violin. Vous et Moi (You and Me) became the title of Bonamassa's sixth album, where the track first appeared in 2006. Slightly longer live versions appear on LIVE...From Nowhere in Particular (2009), and in DVD from his 4 May concert at Royal Albert Hall.
  • Camel's Andrew Latimer has talked of being influenced by Reinhardt.[41]

Back