Best Album Ever Survivor Round 2

Vote for your least favourite albums

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can't stand more than two minutes of The Doors. The keyboard perversions make me want to jump out of the nearest window.

I don't like it indeed. I don't like the long boring keyboard sections. I don't like Jim Morrison's vocal style. I don't like the monotonous drumming. The songs lack any development, yet they seem to go on forever. I don't think there's anything I like about The Doors.

Monotonous drumming? I disagree, it's fairly solistic (apparently this is not a word but it should be, I can't think of any other word to describe it).

I haven't heard too many songs. Like I said, I can't stand them. It is very rare for me to be that negative about a band, but The Doors absolutely bring out the worst in me.

A typical The Doors song clocks in at about 3 - 4 min. I think you can count the number of songs that exceeds 7 min on one hand. I would not say that their songs lack development. Actually, their songs are very concise and varied. You have backroom bar blues tracks like "Roadhouse Blues", simple little love tracks like "Love Street" mesmerizing psychedelia like "The Crystal Ship" and "Light My Fire" and rock opera tracks like "The End" or the progressive and artful stuff like "The Soft Parade".

John Densmore monotonous, well maybe. He was a jazz drummer and very good at what he did. Do you like the organ in other rock? Deep Purple?

Though I will say, if you don't like the voice of Jim Morrison then that is a big factor right there...Though it is a shame he stole so much of the attention in the group as he did/does.

The Soft Parade is my favorite Doors song. Too bad the rest of the album isn't so great.

I think mine would have to be Riders On The Storm...Or actually it is too hard to say. I love a lot of them at different times :D

The Doors are one of those bands that was perfect for its era, important and influential -- but just doesn't hold up over time. The music feels very dated and insignificant today, the absence of bass that Jack Black trumpeted in the High Fidelity movie is revealed as a weakness, and much of the "poetry" spouted by Jim Morrison turned out to be a bunch of pretentious hooey.

Cream is likewise dated. Three unbelievably talented musicians, probably the greatest power trio ever assembled (with all respect to Geddy, Alex and Neil), but we saw how their album went down in flames in this poll. When Disraeli Gears was released, it was probably mind-blowing. People sprayed "Clapton is God" graffiti all over London, apparently. But now, it kind of seems lame. When Cream stuck to the blues, they were really good, and that stuff holds up. But their psychedelic '60s stuff like "Tales of Brave Ulysses" just sounds like crap now.

Contrast these bands to the Beatles and Stones albums that hold up great today. That music is pure and timeless and blows most if not all of today's acts -- not just the bubblegum pop, but the critically acclaimed bands like Tame Impala and Arcade Fire -- out of the water. That's also why we still listen to Iron Maiden but not Cinderella or Poison or Whitesnake (at least, not as much). The latter bands' music is firmly rooted in the hair-metal/glam era, but Maiden's music is (mostly) timeless.

I don't agree with the Doors statement. This music is timeless, as it perfectly reflected that particular time & place. It's a very serious music & nobody before or after had the guts to say what Morrison said then. Doors is not for everyone, as Blake is not for everyone. Go to Pere Lachaise some 3rd of July and you'll see lots of people of all ages, still there, more than 40 years later, mostly young people gathering with an almost religious feel. This is probably one of the most visited places of Paris and certainly the mostly visited grave, in a city where Bonaparte, Moliere, Voltaire, Rousseau, Sartre, Gainsbourg, Manet, Laplace and thousand others are buried.

Dated?? Insignificant?? Are you sure?

The Doors are dated today. I agree. Yet their legacy still inspires and influences an abundance of smaller niche genres today - Garage rock? Neo-psychedelia? to name but a few.

I'm personally really into their later blues rock albums "Morrison Hotel" and "L.A. Woman" perhaps because they got more of a "band feel" to them, and it became less about Morrison's pseudo intellectual ramblings but more about playing the blues. The interaction between Krieger and Manzarek has always been the highpoint of The Doors for me.

Edit. Oh, and Clapton IS god...

I'm really not a big fan of The Doors either. I could just never really get into them. Sure, there are some songs that I like but they don't do anything for me. Like with Bob Dylan, I've tried but I'm just not fond of them. Come to think of it, I'm not really a fan of the hippy 60's era music that was produced over here in the States. I'm more of a fan of the 60's mod Beatles, The Who, Psychedelic type of stuff that was happening over in Britain. :D

I'd just like to remind everyone that Bob Dylan has 35 studio albums, 5 decades of music to set your teeth into (in case Moon Child was insinuating that Bob Dylan is only "hippy 60's era music") :p

Back