Vote for your least favourite albums

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mckindog

Living for Sanctuary from the law
Staff member
First off some housekeeping.

This is what we are going to do with the nomination process from here on in:
Every time I bring in a new group of songs, I will also announce the era that will enter the game next.
I will tell you which albums are already in, which albums have been nominated for inclusion, and who has seconded those nominations. You are also free to nominate any additional albums from that era you think are worthy and lobby for support. Any of the nominated albums that have the support of at least four posters AT THE END OF THAT ROUND will be included when that era goes live.

Also, while I will continue making each nomination round three days long for the time being, I will move it to two days for the other rounds to keep the game moving forward.

Thanks for all the help compiling the nominations. Saved me a hell of a lot of work. If you notice something that was overlooked from the last thread, let me know.

Now, back to the game

The rules are here:
http://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/best-album-ever-survivor.25528/

Eliminated are Kick Out the Jams, Led Zeppelin I, Black Metal, For Those About to Rock and Restless and Wild

Nominations from 1981/82 and from 1970 and earlier are now closed. Added to the game are Stand Up, Sgt. Pepper's and The Doors.

Five other albums have been also been added (Head On, Red, Birds of Fire, Quadrophenia and News of the World) to their respective eras. From here on in, only nominate songs from the requested era.

The next group of songs will be from 1991-92. Start nominating.
ALREADY IN
Metallica The Black Album
Van Halen For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
Guns and Roses Use Your Illusion
Red Hot Chili Peppers Blood Sugar Sex Magic
Iced Earth Night of the Stormrider
Nirvana Nevermind
Dream Theater Images and Words
Megadeth Countdown to Extinction
Alice in Chains Dirt
Pantera Vulgar Display of Power
Rage Against the Machine Rage Against the Machine
Ozzy Osbourne No More Tears
Soundgarden Badmotorfinger
WASP Crimson Idol

ALREADY NOMINATED FOR INCLUSION
Death — Individual Thought Patterns (The Flash, Night Prowler)

The Doors
Stand Up
Mob Rules

I wasn't paying attention and clicked Paranoid on accident, please don't count that

That's a Hall of Fame calibre collection of albums at the top of the poll.
But 1981/82 is when I discovered music. A lot of first loves down there for me.

I'm voting against all the older ones except LZII, Paranoid and the two Beatles LPs

I have a slant toward the 80's too. But I like most of the classic 60's/70's albums. But I don't like Tull and the Doors, and Mob Rules is about half filler in my opinion.

Mob Rules is about half filler in my opinion.
You're not alone, but I don't share that opinion — the so-called weak tracks all have something going for them: Country Girl and Voodoo have monster signature riffs, the breakdown in Slipping Away rocks and the mournful intensity of Over and Over...:notworthy:.
I think there are only two albums up there that I would choose above it.

Another album that doesn't get enough respect around here.
Definitely. I love that album, not one bad song.

You're not alone, but I don't share that opinion — the so-called weak tracks all have something going for them: Country Girl and Voodoo have monster signature riffs, the breakdown in Slipping Away rocks and the mournful intensity of Over and Over...:notworthy:.
Country Girl is actually one I really like. But the rest you named I don't really care for.

Definitely. I love that album, not one bad song.
You got that right — memorable riffs and melodies, boatloads of power and energy.
They certainly aren't my favourite act, but that one guarantees they will always have my respect.

I like Blackout a lot, but I don't love it like I love the remaining albums barring a few I haven't heard.

Voodoo is considered weak? :huh:

Yea, Blackout would probably be the only album of theirs that I love. The rest is too inconsistent.

I'd consider Voodoo weak :p

Disraeli Gears
Led Zeppelin II
Blackout
Diary Of A Madman

I also really like Mob Rules. But Voodoo is one of its weakest songs.

I dunno. Voodoo is one of the most charming songs on the album for me. It's also the most fun to blast in the car on a road trip.

I've actually never listened to Mob Rules in the car. Perhaps I'll fix this tomorrow

I second Ten (1991) as well.

My nominations for this round (I'd be happy if any of these would get a few "secondations").

Killers - Murder One (1992)
High level solo material by Paul Di'Anno. One of the best albums any (ex-)Iron Maiden member. If you're into dual guitar attack guitar metal with good songwriting (and vocals!) then this is highly recommended.

Gamma Ray - Sigh No More (1991)
Gamma Ray is known for their typical (sometimes happy) power/heavy metal songs and they actually made quite some nice albums in that style. However, I still choose this album, which is closer to my heart. It is a darker album, but also less “in your face”-metal. You could call it atmospherical hard rock with a certain tension which appeals to me. The production isn’t the best but nevertheless the performances and the mood really grabbed me at the first listening.
More than a few songs are less breathtaking, but the opener “Changes”, the semi-ballad “Father and Son”, the epic “Dreamhealer” and the uplifting “The Spirit” are damn good.

Some albums from the death and doom department:
Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus (1992)
My Dying Bride - As the Flower Withers (1992)
Gorefest - False (1992)
False is the band’s most energetic record. I’ll never forget the day that I saw them live for the first time. The first band with a grunter I ever saw. And what a powerful vocals, what a drummer I witnessed. Amazing strength on stage. This record features a lot of the band’s strongest songs and is an instant death metal classic. The lyrics are interesting, because they are not the typical you would expect from a death metal band.

Back