Belgium minor first to be granted euthanasia

@CriedWhenBrucieLeft I think you still haven't distinguished the "normal/usual" suicide cases and the cases in which people wish to end their life I've given an example of. And why I've brought the word euthanasia in it. At least I haven't deduced recognition. I know you're less interested in these aspects, but I assume these are needed in order to know or discuss law/ethics/society. Besides, I have spoken somewhat about these factors, in the example: doctor is currently unable to assist. That should touch your preferred interest, not?

Last edited:
Famous Canadian author WP Kinsella just availed himself of euthanasia options as well. I think it's important that people can choose when to die, regulated, yes. But still...
Regulate what bit? It is that person's life to chose when to die, regulating that gets messy. The only stipulation I would like to see is that in assisted suicides, the assistor(s) are not arrested. If, however, they are set to gain financially I don't think they should be part of that assist.

@CriedWhenBrucieLeftI think you still haven't distinguished the "normal/usual" suicide cases and the cases in which people wish to end their life I've given an example of.
Indeed. I'm not going to make any attempt to either.
I know you're less interested in these aspects, but I assume these are needed in order to know or discuss law/ethics/society.
It has to be case-by-case I'm afraid.
Besides, I have spoken somewhat about these factors, in the example: doctor is currently unable to assist. That should touch your preferred interest, not?
The doctor is unwilling to simply end the life of an unhappy old person in you example, yes. Are you suggesting you'd support euthanasia in this example e.g. lethal injection administered by a doctor?

What exactly has to be case-by-case?
Every single case where someone is requesting their life be ended prematurely with the help of someone else i.e. euthanasia. Do you not think it should be taken case-by-case?
I gave you an example of a case.
And I answered you above. The doctor sounds unwilling, not unable.
How what would work?
How would euthanasia work in practise if you're going to make the threshold so low; your quote of Brigs sounded like you think people have the general right to die at a time of their choosing. I asked you whether this is what you think. You didn't answer. If it is, this does not lead simply to the right of anyone to euthanasia. Euthanasia involves someone else; you can't simply demand death from others without their consent in this process.

The only stipulation I would like to see is that in assisted suicides, the assistor(s) are not arrested. If, however, they are set to gain financially I don't think they should be part of that assist.
I don't want to see an industry popping up for "cheap" or "quick" euthanasia - by regulated, I mean doctors assisting people using drugs or methods that are carefully researched to ensure they are not caused undue pain or to make sure that things go as expected.

Of course, we don't want charlatans doing half added jobs and making more suffering.

How would euthanasia work in practise if you're going to make the threshold so low
This is exactly something that hasn't been "arranged" yet.
; your quote of Brigs sounded like you think people have the general right to die at a time of their choosing.
Well no. I was glad that Brigs understood what I brought up. Namely that there is a link with euthanasia, or a wish with certain people to make that link. You expressed yourselves differently. "This is not euthanasia." Well, not yet, indeed.
I asked you whether this is what you think. You didn't answer. If it is, this does not lead simply to the right of anyone to euthanasia. Euthanasia involves someone else; you can't simply demand death from others without their consent in this process.
While I can't explain it well, I feel against the ending of life if there's no urgent (urgent as suffering) reason. Even if it's not my business, even if it's someone else's life.
There's a difference between understanding the example (the problem) and agreeing with it.

This is exactly something that hasn't been "arranged" yet.
I know; but you were like "That's it". I assumed this was what you thought. I understand, now, you weren't necessarily expressing your own views.
Well no. I was glad that Brigs understood what I brought up. Namely that there is a link with euthanasia, or a wish with certain people to make that link. You expressed yourselves differently. "This is not euthanasia." Well, not yet, indeed.
You're quoting me out of context. I specifically said "this is not euthanasia" in respect to the example Brigs gave of someone stopping "self-care". That decision didn't sound like it involved someone else. There's no "not yet"; that isn't euthanasia, that's just letting yourself die. In any case, you're already allowed to refuse medical intervention; this is not defined as euthanasia. Nor is it illegal &/or defined as suicide.
There's a difference between understanding the example (the problem) and agreeing with it.
Got it. Just wasn't sure if you were expressing your own opinion or not.

Back