1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bands with potential that they never fulfilled

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by Night Prowler, May 26, 2014.

1. jazz from hell

jazz from hell Ancient Mariner

Were they headlining arenas in Europe? Right Now is a great song, had that album on cassette, but if you compare to Aerosmith?
    I prefer Sammy as a singer, met him once, great guy.

2. jazz from hell

jazz from hell Ancient Mariner

Okay, but he tends to wear masquerades, that's suspicious...

3. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

CriedWhenBrucieLeft Ancient Mariner

He has his own hair & wears a hat. I fail to see what's suspicious.

4. Perun

Perun Climbing like a monkey Staff Member

Warlord. Just imagine they had released one more record of the quality of the Deliver Us EP before losing Damien King I. The second one just didn't have it.

5. AlexS

AlexS Trooper

My Spanish cousin, who lived with us in the U.S. for a year and went to high school with me in the late 80s, has told me that Van Halen -- who he learned about during his time in the U.S. -- are not well known in Spain at all.

6. Perun

It's true. They're not exactly obscure in Germany, but nobody there would think of them as the superstars they are in the US. Hardly anyone could associate more than one or two songs with them.

7. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

Is this not the story of a whole pile of US bands from that era?

8. Perun

It is, but I'd say that Van Halen are a bit of an extreme example of this.

9. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

Maybe, but I don't think anyone would describe VH as huge in the UK either. At any point.

10. Perun

It works both ways, though. It always amuses me that nobody in the US has ever heard of Robbie Williams.

11. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

Indeed, but if if you take a band like Bon Jovi, they sell out stadiums in the UK too. So they're genuinely huge (or were) both sides of the Atlantic. Not that this really has anything to do with the thread topic.

12. Perun

Of course there are counter-examples. Bon Jovi is huge everywhere. Many other bands are, too. And there are American bands that are huge in Europe but not in the US, like Alter Bridge.

13. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

Yeh, but my point is if you want to name someone who is big everywhere, talk about, for example, Bon Jovi. Don't talk about VH or Dio.