Bands that fell from grace

Seriously. A band isn't doomed just because they put out an album you don't like. That's ridiculous.
No, it's not. It all comes down to that. I'm pretty sure there are gazillion Iced Earth fans who disagree with you. And there are probably gazillion people who think Maiden sucked since Fear of the dark and Seventh son, but we don't hear that here cause it's a Maiden forum.

No, it's not. It all comes down to that. I'm pretty sure there are gazillion Iced Earth fans who disagree with you. And there are probably gazillion people who think Maiden sucked since Fear of the dark and Seventh son, but we don't hear that here cause it's a Maiden forum.

I don't see how this is related. Yeah, some people say Maiden sucked after FOTD. But does that mean they fell from grace? They obviously weren't doomed because they put out an album those people didn't like. They sold more albums in the future which were critically acclaimed and became bigger than ever. If anything, your remark works for Mosh's point.

All my statements are my own personal opinions - as much as I'd like to, not everyone shares them. Your (@The Flash ) replies sound like you're trying to convince me that I'm wrong, and that Opeth still being awesome is the truth, whereas it's just your personal opinion. That's what I tried to point out.

(No hard feelings :))

Guys, you're basically quibbling over what you interpret as "fall from grace" --something Yax only used in the thread title.
This is what's being asked.
Exactly. If you don't like the new Opeth that's fine, but pathetic and sad? Really? Yea, some people might not like Maiden's new material but I don't see anyone who thinks they've become a sad caricature of what they used to be. So Flash is right, that point is completely unrelated.

It's sad to me when Mikael struggles with growls as much as he does. It's sad to me that he copies other bands. It's sad to me that he ditched the band's original unique style to play 70's prog rock. I don't give a fuck if he follows his heart or something like that if I don't like it. If it's bad - it's bad. If you can say Iced Earth is a joke, I can safely say that Opeth nowadays is sad to see. To me, at least.

Many fans still hold them in high regard including myself, their latest album was acclaimed even though there was some mixed reviews, their albums sell very well, the band is steadily gaining more fans and their shows are bigger than before.
If album sales and audience at shows are any measurement, Def Leppard and KISS didn't fall from grace when their albums started sucking.

Fell from grace, pathetic, crap, sucks. Everyone will have an own opinion on every band. If Yax wants to measure collective opinions, he could make a poll or count opinions, do a survivor or whatever other form.

This an only be a topic that asks everyone personally: Which band did you like in an earlier stage, and not anymore.
It has to be this. If it's about album sales, or statistics, or definitions, then our opinions (or even posts) are irrelevant, since everything can be looked up.
So I am with Night Prowler: this is only about what we dislike (find shit or whatever term we like) these days, as opposed to older material/performances.
Naturally people disagree with taste, but they can't deny something that someone else feels.

I go for Kiss, Iced Earth, Guns 'n' Roses, Queensryche and Running Wild. I dislike quite some other bands, but did not like them much better in the past. I also am not enthousiastic about current Opeth but don't dislike them enough to put them in my list; also because I dislike some older albums as well.

edit: I might add Blaze as well, but first I want to hear more.

Last edited:
I concede the thread title is a little over-dramatic & slightly misleading when you read what Yax goes on to ask; hence why I quoted the original question. But...
This [c]an only be a topic that asks everyone personally: Which band did you like in an earlier stage, and not anymore.
... I'm pretty sure that's not what he was asking in this thread. (Although I can't speak for Yax, so perhaps he can clarify.)

Amazing --> pathetic/sad. Like ---> dislike.
No, I don't agree. "Dislike" is a simple, fairly uncomplicated statement; & altho' it may follow that something that was amazing & now isn't, one might (now) dislike --I don't believe this quite covers what Yax was asking.

"Falling from grace" & becoming "pathetic" (to be pitied) or "sad" is something more profound; it's more specific than your own changing opinion of a artist/band. This suggests an artist starting from a position of almost genius, or at least from a position of quality i.e. irrespective of your own personal opinion of whether you like it. Now they have fallen far, far short of this past glory; perhaps through inactivity (i.e. they don't produce anything new, but continue to perform old material); maybe through the inferior quality of newer material, etc. An artist (or band) to be pitied; to feel regret over what has been lost (performance or output); for you to be unhappy this transformation has been in this direction. Etc etc. It's more than just you not liking said artist/band anymore.

Altho', again, maybe I'm putting words in Yax's mouth here! :D

Another example: I disliked the new Black Sabbath, but I don't think they're "pathetic" or "sad". They tried and from what I hear they're putting on good live shows. Their new album just wasn't my thing.

Band that was once very good in their genre and quite popular that had an absolutely hideous fall from grace:

Skid Row.

Can we all agree on that?

I didn't think it was crap as much as I thought it was ridiculous how much time and money he spent on something that was, at best, only okay. But I think their fall from "grace" started at The Spaghetti Incident

Yeah, I'd go with that. I just think they went from a really amazing band to not good one.

Alright, alright, I'll change it a bit, Cried, even though your comments were besides the main point I was making, and I am pretty sure you are aware of that, so stop trolling. ;-)
- - -

Fell from grace, pathetic, crap, sucks. Everyone will have an own opinion on every band. If Yax wants to measure collective opinions, he could make a poll or count opinions, do a survivor or whatever other form.

This an only be a topic that asks everyone personally: Which band did you like very much (amazing; you fill in any term you like) in an earlier stage, and dislike (hate, whatever) very much now.

It has to be this. If it's about album sales, or statistics, or definitions, then our opinions (or even posts) are irrelevant, since everything can be looked up.

Naturally people disagree with taste, but they can't deny something that someone else feels.*

I go for Kiss, Iced Earth, Guns 'n' Roses, Queensryche and Running Wild.

edit: I might add Blaze as well, but first I want to hear more.

* That's what happened: I have the impression that Flash and Mosh didn't like Night Prowler's opinion on Opeth, and they tried to portray an image of him as if he did not understand this topic, while the opposite is the case. He got it and they gave all kinds of arguments against him that were their merits, but not his.

Last edited:
Back