1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arjen Anthony Lucassen (Ayreon, Star One etc.)

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by Night Prowler, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Night Prowler

Night Prowler ɹǝlʍoɹԀ ʇɥƃᴉN Staff Member

This guy deserves his own thread. I've been going through his discography lately (slowly though) and would really like to do a N00bvivor for his best works. However, doubt I'd have the time anytime soon, but it's an idea :) Anybody interested? Also, will write a review for the new album soon, but until then, some of my favorite Arjen songs:

2. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

I might be interested. The problem is that his albums are so long and dense, it'd be like a survivor of Astonishings. I would at least give it a try though.

Love the two Star One albums. Some Ayreon is good but I have to be in the right mood for it.

3. Night Prowler

True dat. Discussion thread instead? We could vote for favorites from each album and then I could compile a best-off Survivor, if there's enough interest. Would take a while to get through all his releases though, he isn't far off from Devin Townsend in terms of productivity (although Devin has more albums I think Arjen's albums are usually much longer). I wouldn't say his albums are Astonishing-like. I think there's only one with all short songs (The Theory Of Everything), but he says it's basically an album of 4 20-minute long songs. I'm mostly interested in doing this (and Devin) to help me get through their discographies; easier when I have someone to discuss the albums with :)

4. Mosh

Discussion thread would be good. Something like that would have to be during the summer when I'm not so busy though.

What I meant with the Astonishing comparison is that most of his albums are 2+ hour long rock operas with stories and characters etc. They are much more involved than most music and can't really be played as background music.

As far as Devin goes, his albums are shorter and more accessible IMO.

5. Night Prowler

Cool :ok: I don't think I'll start any new games before July anyway. Plus you need to finish listening to Buckethead :p

6. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

CriedWhenBrucieLeft Ancient Mariner

That ain't happening before July, unless Mosh just gives up! :innocent:

7. Mosh

I hit 100 yesterday. Almost halfway there!

8. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

CriedWhenBrucieLeft Ancient Mariner

Wrong thread? :p