Are the longer Iron Maiden songs overshadowing the shorter ones?

I guess there's a difference between a critical flop and a financial flop, too. Forostar is absolutely right in pointing to the financial viability of No Prayer For the Dying and Fear of the Dark, but I think critically, both by the band and others, there is a recognition that it didn't work the way they maybe intended for it to work. I'd still go see a NPFTD history tour. Just sayin'.

I guess it just bugs me when someone says something is better because it sells more.
Didn't say that! :)

Perhaps Maiden risked to strip down their audience as well. Well, they weren't afraid and still did what they did. Just like Bruce, (e.g.) back in 1996 with Skunkworks. He might have hoped for bigger appreciation, saw it didn't happen and got disappointed. But I am sure he is still bloody proud.
both by the band and others, there is a recognition that it didn't work the way they maybe intended for it to work.
And to this day, I have never read any regret from Maiden's part on No Prayer for the Dying (or any other album, apart from perhaps the production of the debut album). They simply ignore it these days. Perhaps that's telling something as well. Perhaps it shows not much pride of that era. But looking at the old documentaries from 1990, we can see how much they and the audience were into it.

I think it's more that they assume people want to hear more from the 80s. The 00's have almost reached the point of being ignored too, with most songs only being played on their respective album tours and maybe TFF 2010. There are only about 16 slots for songs. About 5 of those are reserved for the staples and 5-6 for the new album or whatever the theme is. Those last few slots are going to be for "second tier" 80s classics and the occasional rarity (of which Afraid To Shoot Strangers was one a few years ago).

I also doubt there's much regret about that era. They're pretty straightforward about these things and would probably say so if they were unhappy about the way those albums turned out. I very much look forward to the documentary that comes with Donington because it'll be the first time we get an in depth retrospective look at that period. Hopefully they don't skim through it.

Depends on the song, doesn't it? I mean, would you rather see Rime or would you rather see 2 Minutes + Aces High + Powerslave? That's a hard call, no matter which way you cut it.
2m2m, aces high, and power slave have been aired on recent tours. Rim had now been played on 3 tours so I'd swap an epic for any under played shortet song. Rainmaker, flight of icarus, be quick, futurereal, holy smoke

Back