Any parts of songs that remind you of past songs?

Look Travis, when you think a part of a song reminds you of (a) past song(s), then go to the topic of that specific song and do your explaining.

I'd appreciate it if you don't open a topic for every question you want to ask. You regularly start unnecessary topics, where instead you can sometimes use other threads to put in your thoughts.

I am not a mod but I assume they have enough work to do, and personally I think it's annoying to see these "double topics".

Thanks, much appreciated.

Isle of Avalon (at 7:25) has the same lick as the one in No More Lies (at 4:30).

@Forostar - I actually think that this topic could be left alone, while I agree for the others.

One click to discover an improved singer in a different and better environment (plus listening to an excellent metal track) is such a tired step.  ::)

Isdle Of Avalon - Whole intro reminds me of the mid part of 7th son.  Drumming starting at 3:38 is Lord of Light to a T. 7:24 NO MORE LIES with the guitar

Starblind - reminds me of The Prophecy

Talisman - Intro is like The Legacy, 3:43 - Dream of Mirrors

TMWWBK - verse sounds like Judgement of heaven/Lord of the Flies

WTWWB - 2:15 Dont look to the eyes of a stranger

Forostar said:
One click to discover an improved singer in a different and better environment (plus listening to an excellent metal track) is such a tired step.  ::)

Excellent is an adjective not enough. This is a fucking bombtrack. I was literally blown away when i stole Silicon Messiah CD from the local store back in 2000.

Ranko said:
Isle of Avalon (at 7:25) has the same lick as the one in No More Lies (at 4:30).

@Forostar - I actually think that this topic could be left alone, while I agree for the others.

Absolutely. It took me a second to figure it out the first time I heard it, but it's almost identical, aside from a couple of notes. I'm kind of surprised noone in the band picked up on this and thought, hmmm... maybe this a little TOO close.
IronMark666 said:
I'll just paste what I posted on the Starblind thread:

"I'm absolutely shocked that everyone can't see how similar this is to Infinte Dreams. It's not a criticism to say it borrows heavily from a previous song - ID is one of the best and Starblind is cracking but at 2:21 of Starblind when it goes into "The crucible of pain..." bit is almost identical to the "can't be all co-incidence" bit in Infinite Dreams and as someone else said, the bluesy guitar licks in the background again are pretty similar. For instance listen to the little lead bit in the background at 2:15 of Starlbind and the one at 0:50 (suffocation, waking in a sweat) of Infinte Dreams - pretty much identical again.

As I say, they are damn similar but I love both."

Ha, sounds like you and me are in the minority on this one for some reason... I totally agree. I don't know if people are focusing on how different the vocal line is, but the chords/key change during that section are identical to what is used in the ID chorus (you can literally sing the ID lyrics over this part and they fit perfectly). Which, as has been pointed out, isn't a bad thing, since ID is a classic.

About Blaze.. the problem with him doing the vocals, to me, is that I always think "what a cool song.. .. .. but it'd sound so much better with Bruce singing!!" and then I begin to imagine it and become agitated.  This is why I love Clansman, Sign of the Cross and Lord of the Flies on their live performances with Bruce at the helm.

This is a huge one that I'm surprised nobody else got:  The Talisman begins to pick up at around 2:20 I believe, and that opening riff is exactly the same as Ghost of the Navigator.

There's a certain melody playing in Coming Home that's just like Lord of Light at certain points.

I think topics like this aren't as pointless as being made out to be.  I even started a topic about "highlights of the album", which are obviously included in the main song topics.  Someone else made "guitar solos", which is the same.  I just think it allows for two different albeit useful ways of browsing information.  If I want to specifically deal with Starblind, I'll go to that respective topic but if I'm interested in finding all the guitar solos or like in this topic, I don't want to sift through all the other song topics in hopes that I'll find it.

The slow part with bruce singing on IOA sounds like lord of light. When he says I CAN. I expect him to says" i cant reach things i cant see"

judas_rising said:
This is a huge one that I'm surprised nobody else got:  The Talisman begins to pick up at around 2:20 I believe, and that opening riff is exactly the same as Ghost of the Navigator.
You're absolutely right about that one.

IronMark666 said:
I'll just paste what I posted on the Starblind thread:

"I'm absolutely shocked that everyone can't see how similar this is to Infinte Dreams. It's not a criticism to say it borrows heavily from a previous song - ID is one of the best and Starblind is cracking but at 2:21 of Starblind when it goes into "The crucible of pain..." bit is almost identical to the "can't be all co-incidence" bit in Infinite Dreams and as someone else said, the bluesy guitar licks in the background again are pretty similar. For instance listen to the little lead bit in the background at 2:15 of Starlbind and the one at 0:50 (suffocation, waking in a sweat) of Infinte Dreams - pretty much identical again.

As I say, they are damn similar but I love both."
I agree that Starblind does sound a bit like Infinite Dreams. That part that you singled out was what I was thinking of.

judas_rising said:
About Blaze.. the problem with him doing the vocals, to me, is that I always think "what a cool song.. .. .. but it'd sound so much better with Bruce singing!!" and then I begin to imagine it and become agitated.  This is why I love Clansman, Sign of the Cross and Lord of the Flies on their live performances with Bruce at the helm.

Ugh…Bruce butchers Futureal, Man on the Edge, Sign of the Cross, and yes, even Lord of the Flies. The Clansman he does incredibly, though.

Let's have a look at things in order.

Coming Home's verse is smack from Lord of Light in terms of the feel and picking patterns.

The Alchemist's dynamics and structure reminds me a hell of a lot of Purgatory in terms of how does it's thing in the form of harmonies etc etc.

Starblind is Infinite Dreams II.

The Talisman's Chorus melody feels like a faster version of the Coming Home chorus, but it's probably just me being crazy.

If you sing the chorus of Out of the Shadows over the end of The Man Who Would Be King, it fits perfectly.

LooseCannon said:
Ugh…Bruce butchers Sign of the Cross.

Really? I love the way he sings the intro and outro. He actually hits the notes instead of whispers them.

But different strokes for different folks.
LooseCannon said:
Which track did they link to? Work has YouTube blocked.

I linked Stare at the Sun.

Good man! Girl!

Yeah, SotC with Bruce never really interested me. He's his usual good on it, but I find Blaze to be sublimely brilliant. Again, I'm comparing with good boots from the tour, not the album; hard to tell how Bruce would sound with the album. A little like he does on WTWWB, anyway.

LooseCannon said:
Ugh…Bruce butchers Futureal, Man on the Edge, Sign of the Cross, and yes, even Lord of the Flies. The Clansman he does incredibly, though.

See, one of my top five Maiden is Sign of the Cross @ Rock in Rio.. The album version wouldn't even be on my top twenty.  Just a matter of opinion though, I like it better with his voice and it seems to be sped up just the slightest.

Lord of the Flies is definitely arguable..Futureal I simply dislike, regardless of singer.  Man on the Edge I actually have not heard!

Well...how can you judge if you haven't heard the whole album? I'm assuming if you haven't heard Man on the Edge, then you haven't heard The X Factor at all.

Back