Amorphis

How to start the next Amorphis Survivor?

• Total voters
@Forostar, just remembered this band you should check out:
It's led by Amorphis' former bassist Olli-Pekka Laine and former keyboardist Kasper Mårtenson, music in the vein of 90's Amorphis :)

Thanks! I have checked them briefly because I read a great review. It was good, but I wasn't overwhelmed. Will give them another chance by playing these songs!

Just finished listening to the album. I was a bit scared by first 4 songs which were pretty average but then the next 5 were all pretty awesome, so I'm fine :D Will listen to it more to distract myself until TBOS arrives.

After spinning it few more times - definitely their heaviest and fastest album with Tomi. Lots of growers... I can safely say they did it again, 6 awesome albums in a row :shred:

Going to have to wait until Monday....I'm in quality Maiden listening time right now. I liked what I've heard so far, though.

I liked the first four, wasn't so keen on the folky one later on. There's some incredibly heavy stuff, the start of The Skull springs to mind. A couple of songs are best left to distill for a while. So, yes, definitely a good buy. I've never really bothered with buying Amorphis albums, only the odd song here and there. Any recommendations?

I'd suggest Magic & Mayhem (best early songs re-recorded with the current lineup), Skyforger and The Beginning Of Times. Some older fans like Foro would probably tell you Tales From The Thousand Lakes and Elegy :p Just warning you that pre-Eclipse and Eclipse-present Amorphis are almost like two different bands IMO.

Yes, they were more like straight death metal at one time weren't they? I've come across a couple of songs that were decidedly radio-friendly too. I like the balance they've struck now.

It's a split, so I think it was planned. Amorphis did a great job, COB was awful, especially the chorus.

Yeah.

That Amorphis song could be a bit more difficult to do as well. It's so signature sounding stuff. And Everytime I Die is very cool. The original is one of my favourites by them.

Amorphis' take on CoB is really good, although I liked that one anyway, Amorphis really add something. CoB's version of Amorphis just sounds messy.

So about 4 months have passed and my opinion has changed drastically for the positive - so much that I might even say it's my favorite Amorphis album. I think they finally found a perfect sound and perfect balance of softer and heavier stuff. All songs are awesome and it's very hard to pick my favorite song from the album: first it was Death Of A King, then Enemy At The Gates, then the title track, and now it's White Night.

Under The Red Cloud would easily have been my top album of 2015 had Maiden not released The Book of Souls. Very nice stuff. I've listened back through a bit more Amorphis now and agree, they have the balance just right these days, both in terms of music overall and vocals - ideal mix of growls and clean vocals.

Tree of Ages has gone from being "oh no, another folky sounding one" to a serious favourite, although I'm still quite taken with Sacrifice, as probably the most accessible one, along with the title track and Death of a King, which is a more recent grower. The Skull is a weird one, listening again now. Heavy verses but a sweeter, catchy chorus. But in all honesty, there's not a bad track on the album. I can't wait to see them live.

Back