AMORPHIS SURVIVOR 2015: Results -> Sampo wins!

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
SURVIVOR_RULES_017.jpg

Eliminated:
Warriors Trial - 4 votes
Black Embrace - 4 votes
To Father's Cabin - 4 votes
Moon & Sun - 4 votes

Voting for The Lost Name Of God and The Pilgrimage. Both solid songs, but I have to pick something. Also Misery Path which I don't really like. Supporting the remaining 3 songs from that album for promotion, but it's a small difference in quality between Grail's Mysteries, The Lost Name Of God and The Pilgrimage (Exile and Sign are way better than all of these). Also voting for Drowned Maid, In The Beginning and Moon & Sun, Part 2. It's gonna be very hard to pick favorites from this album.

From Kantele: Grief's Mysteries, The Pilgrimage, Misery Path
From Tales: Black Winter Day, Forgotten Sunrise, Magic & Mayhem

SURVIVOR_RULES_017.jpg

Eliminated:
Misery Path - 5 votes
Grail's Mysteries - 3 votes
The Pilgrimage - 3 votes
Drowned Maid - 3 votes

Promoted:
Exile Of The Sons Of Uisliu
The Lost Name Of God
Sign From The North Side

Elegy joins the game!
Elegy features two versions of the song My Kantele: regular one and "acoustic reprise" one.
I think it's redundant to have them both, so for this game just count whichever you like better :)
The Brother-Slayer and The Lost Son (The Brother-Slayer, Part 2) originally appeared on My Kantele EP, but in this game they'll be a part of the album Elegy.
That EP also has two covers that aren't in the game, but in case you want to check them out, here they are:
Levitation (Hawkwind cover)
And I Hear You Call (Kingston Wall cover)

At this point I think this is not only the first but also the best album with singer Pasi Koskinen. I have recently played the other albums with him: they have some good songs, but not enough to beat Elegy. So, some careful voting is needed. On the other hand, it has the remaining Tales songs as opponents. :eek: Difficult...

The Orphan
Song of the Troubled One
Weeper on the Shore
Elegy
The Brother-Slayer
The Brother-Slayer II

The Elegy album features no less than seven(!) different songwriting combinations. And The Brother-Slayers from My Kantele are done by another two.

Just played the first half and I don't think I'll vote for any of these. What a ride!

EDIT:
  1. Cares
  2. Song Of The Troubled One
  3. Elegy
  4. Relief
  5. The Brother-Slayer
  6. The Lost Son (The Brother-Slayer, Part 2)
The Orphan
default_shakinghead.gif

Weeper on the Shore
Memorable 2nd half!

Last edited:
And here was I thinking choosing Nightwish and Symphony X tracks to die was tough... Silly me. I have heard Thousand Lakes three times today and Elegy two times and I have honestly absolutely no idea how to vote. :D

These two albums are very strong. Unfortunately only 10 or 11 tracks in total can survive. Their place in the game and subsequent order are working against them.

So far (bar Moon and Sun 2, which I'm quite sure about) I'm thinking about In the Beginning from Lakes and Song of the Troubled One and maybe Cares from Elegy. But that's like 4 songs at best from possible 9 choices.

And what's worse, even that might change. S***, I don't even know whether I like Amorphis or Opeth more anymore. Just a proof that making any list is just a crazy thing to do - would you believe I actually put No More Lies in my Maiden top 10 once? :D

Then vote careful. Pand and I did "only" 6 songs. You can do less if you like. Later you can chose "harder".

Tales: I won't be voting for Into Hiding, Black Winter Day, Forgotten Sunrise and Magic & Mayhem for a long time... probably not until the end of the album rounds. The Castaway probably not until Eclipse, at least. Gonna continue voting for In The Beginning and Moon & Sun though.

Elegy: Will have to relisten to this album a couple of times, but I surely won't be voting for Against Widows, On Rich & Poor and My Kantele anytime soon.

The Orphan is very interesting with several sides. It starts out Pink Floydish with beautiful guitars. We get a minute of some of the best singing on the whole album, especially the second half. Lots of feel. Then it gets more threatening and heavier, with nice contrasting keyboard. After this, we plunge into what Amorphis does best: awesome guitar melodies. The drums change and we go to the harmony. More change with the modulation and change of keys and heavier drums.

I'll probably vote for Thousand Lakes material in order to defend it.

Vocals are my main issue with this album. They really pale in comparison to Tomi's vocals on the re-recordings. Growls are much weaker, almost whispery compared to first 2 albums. Pasi is way better than the guy from Tales, but still pales compared to Tomi. Listened to the album once, will listen to it again before voting.

Back