AMOLAD songs played live

nuno_c

A hollow universe in space
The purpose of this thread is to discuss every single thing we want about songs from this album live. How they work/don't work live, your favourite performances, etc, etc, etc.....

The first thing that came to my mind is this... If this is such an appreciated album by Maiden fans (as well as the band itself) to the point of it all being played live in full, why don't the band play any songs from it since the tour ended? I find it really curious... o_O Sometimes it seems like the album, in terms of it's songs being played live, became sort of a classic that somehow got suspended in time because no song from it is played.

Let the discussion begin!

Actually thy played a couple of them in 2010. I would like to see Ben Breeg coming back on the upcoming tour!

Half of the songs were played after A Matter Of Life And Death Tour from 2006.
Different World, These Colours Don't Run, BTATS, Breeg and FTGGOD were done in A Matter Of The Beast Tour from 2007.
The bold songs were also done in 2010 (the first year of The Final Frontier World Tour), BTATS was only done once, in Dallas.

edit:
Ever seen the album boards, nuno?
http://forum.maidenfans.com/categories/the-iron-maiden-commentary.66/

Last edited:
This is one of those albums where I'd rather have a whole lot of songs from it, or none at all. I don't think a song like "For the Greater Good of God", which is one of my favourite Maiden songs, would fit that great in a set with the classics. The mood/atmosphere is such a big factor on the album, and it also was on the album tour, from what I've gathered. Yes, it's my favourite Iron Maiden-album - but that is sort of because it is so incredibly uncompromising. Compromise it, and it will lose its appeal.

Did it work when they played the whole thing live? I didn't see it, but I have a bootleg from one of the Stockholm shows, and they sound amazing. From what I've seen from photos, I also think it was the tour when the band looked the best/had the best stage design.

but that is sort of because it is so incredibly uncompromising. Compromise it, and it will lose its appeal.

Good point.

I think it went down well live - If you were willing to have an experience - to be pulled through the mud and the rain so to speak. People there to drink pints and scream a long to The Trooper, 2 Minutes, Wrathchild were very disappointed. They couldn't quite understand that Maiden wasn't there to put on the usual metal show.

My first Maiden show was all of the album live, and I wasn't disappointed at all. Loved the album and I knew they would come back another time to play classics. Every song on this album is top notch for me so it was a nice treat to get to see them all. And it did make for quite the experience with the atmosphere of the music and its themes along with the stage show.

Yeah, I was seriously disappointed they dropped most of the songs for the 2007 leg, when they've visited Czech Republic - instead of playing my current #1 (and at other times still Top 4) album in its entirety they've decided to mix the songs with some cuts of my current #16 (and at other times still Bottom 4) album... :D
Considering what I've seen myself and having listened to some of the bootlegs, it must have been really some experience. The songs all seemed to work well live and I liked the stage very much.

However, I'm not surprised they haven't revisited the songs live all that often - after the complaints from the PlayClassics crowd and considering the songs really work more when in the context of the album... I still hope I'll see something off this one, however. Not betting much on The Legacy or Lord of Light, though...

The songs don't improve much live.. Most of them sounds much better in the studio aswell, which isn't always the case with Maiden. Several of the songs they've done of BNW, DOD and TFF get an extra dimension live. The AMOLAD songs don't.

I wouldn't mind if they ever brought back songs like "These Colors Don't Run" or something like that. But the two songs I REALLY want them to bring back are "The Longest Day" and "Out of the Shadows". TLG is a great epic song with great lyrics that pump you up. I got into Maiden right after this album came out and they toured and after I heard it I was shocked they only played it for one Tour Leg. Meanwhile, OotS is a beautiful slower paced song with great lyrics and melodies! I was recently thinking how much it could fit on the upcoming "Book of Souls World Tour". What do you guys think?

It kinda pissed me off at the time, I'd bought tickets before they announced the plans to play the whole thing. I hadn't seen Maiden for a decade and was expecting more classic songs.

Now, I'm glad I saw it, being a unique and different tour for them. I'd love it if they played a classic album in full in the future.

Back