Adrian's picking

Hi guys
I have some questions about how does Adrian uses a Pick (because I'm a quite beginner...) and what brand of picks with which thickness does he use?
Thanks.

Well, from what I've seen he holds like pretty much every one, with two fingers.
As for the type, I have no idea, but the pick's size and thickness is something very individual from my experience, you should go to a guitar shop and try several types.

He's not picking that much. Most of his licks are purely based on hammer ons and pull offs.
Sometimes he tremolo picks, like the live solo of the trooper or in killers.

Can't comment on brands/thickness, but I can comment on his technique. It seems to me that Adrian uses his arm quite frequently for the majority of his picking, either for rhythm or for lead. I don't have many good close-up videos of him soloing, so I can't totally comment on his lead technique. Dave imo has a very different and study-worthy picking style, mainly because he isn't a picking purist. He definitely uses his wrist more, and he almost looks like a forerunner to some of the shred guitarists of the late-80's and modern shredders when examined closely. He prefers to use hammer-ons and pull-offs, legato stuff in general. Slides, bends, you name it. Dave likes it. Adrian does use legato, and to good effect, but he's a picker in my mind at heart. Not Paul Gilbert in deciding to pick every damn note, but still more of a picker than Dave. Janick, I can't comment on Janick.

Back