Adrian, Janick and Dave's guitars and Steve's basses

Hi all, new member. Brilliant forum, I've spent the last hour going through this thread with great interest! I went to see the band in Sheffield UK last night (10 May 2017) and Adrian Smith used his black Gibson Les Paul Custom on a couple of songs.

Any info on this 3 pickup Gibson SG that Dave Murray is playing? Looks like the photo was taken sometime in the early 1980's.

Attachments

• tumblr_mwklnevyGP1siwavuo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_mwklnevyGP1siwavuo1_500.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 54
Any info on this 3 pickup Gibson SG that Dave Murray is playing?

The block inlays peg it as a Custom, which came with 3 pickups; but I don't know SGs well enough to pinpoint when it might have been made. The small pickguard like the one in the picture was used in the 60s and 70s, but some of the late 60s-early 70s SG Customs had the larger pickguard.

The block inlays peg it as a Custom, which came with 3 pickups; but I don't know SGs well enough to pinpoint when it might have been made. The small pickguard like the one in the picture was used in the 60s and 70s, but some of the late 60s-early 70s SG Customs had the larger pickguard.

Thanks! I was thinking that it might be a 70s Custom, as the neck pickup is right up against the neck - no small pickguard between pickup and neck.

I indeed think it's a custom. Angus Young's Back In Black tour SG (now repainted black whith middle pickup removed) is probably twin guitar to that one. Considering that the picture can be from before '79, it could have been sold to make money for the purchase of the Kossoff strat (which Dave got around that time). The DiMarzio .X2N's were also introduced in '79 so that could be the year when this picture was taken

Hi all, new member. Brilliant forum, I've spent the last hour going through this thread with great interest! I went to see the band in Sheffield UK last night (10 May 2017) and Adrian Smith used his black Gibson Les Paul Custom on a couple of songs.

Any info on this 3 pickup Gibson SG that Dave Murray is playing? Looks like the photo was taken sometime in the early 1980's.

This pic is on the back of the original vinyl release of Killers, so it was taken 1981 or earlier. ;)

IRON_MAIDEN_KILLERS-GREENVINYL-32051c_1.jpg

Last edited:
Probably 1980 (can't imagine they used seventies footage around this time). Maiden did not play gigs in 1981 prior to Killers.
I thought it could be from the Live at the Rainbow vid but some people wear different clothes there. @Robert E (Robert Ellis) made the photo and he is a member of this forum. He probably knows the exact date.

Ok, since I have a bit of time here is what H, Dave and Jan used on the previous The Book Of Souls 2016 world tour.

H's guitars:

-Gibson Les Paul Slash signature, Rosso Corsa model

Could you please tell us in which show did H use the Rosso Corsa LP ? I smashed my head looking for this...

Many thx.

Much appreciated, @matic22 !

You can see Dave using his Ibanez and Adrian using a white guitar that I don't recognize with no logo on the headstock, starting at 5:37 here:

As regards the white guitar, I suppose that it is not Adrian's, but borrowed from Vivian Campbell - he may be seen playing it at the beggining of the video...

Accident Of Birth Tour:
-The Holy Goldtop, now with pickguard removed. Used for all drop D songs. (and Flight Of Icarus and Taking The Queen in standard)
-3 Tone Sunburst Fender Floyd Rose Classic Stratocaster with DiMarzio humbucker in bridge and two single coils in the neck and maple neck. This guitar will be called no. 1 Sunburst Strat (all standard songs)
Backups:
-White Jackson Soloist with 1 humbucker and 1 single coil.

I know this is like insane thread resurrection, but we opened for Bruce on this tour, and H also had the Somewhere On Tour/Seventh Tour white HSH Jackson Dinky and a white Jackson RR1 with black bevels.

Looks like Dave's Kossof Strat did have some sort of locking trem on it at some point, as evidenced in this video
I've seen photos on bootleg covers where you can see some sort of locking nut on it and never quite figured it out. Maybe an identical one to the Kossof strat?

Looks like Dave's Kossof Strat did have some sort of locking trem on it at some point, as evidenced in this video
I've seen photos on bootleg covers where you can see some sort of locking nut on it and never quite figured it out. Maybe an identical one to the Kossof strat?
Search for my post a few pages ago (or in TBOS 2017 thread, I can't remember where I posted about this...).

Does anybody know since when has been Adrian using his black LP Custom? Initially, I was under the impression that the guitar appeared sometimes around 2000, however I have recently discovered some old videos of '83 (Flight of Icarus and TNOTB ) where Adrian was playing this beauty (or a similar one).

Does anybody know since when H has been using the black LP Custom? Initially, I was under the impression that the guitar appeared sometimes before 2000, however I have recently discovered some old videos of '83 (Flight of Icarus and TNOTB) where Adrian was playing this beauty.
That was loaned gear. I think the current Custom first appeared on the BNW tour as a replacement for the goldtop, which was at that point retired from the road. It was played/on the road until the Early Days tour, when it was replaced by a 72 SG. It re-appeard on ME tour, but this time without the pickguard.

matic22 This list is AMAZING!! Good job and I can relate to your obsession.

I may need your/forums help with a video in the future if possible? I just finished this video where I recreate the studio setup for the guitar's of Iron Maiden's first album. So in a month or two I want to do a Bruce era studio recreation.

Warning!!! I chat about the band and I'm sure nothing I say is news to most of you guys so bear with that aspect as I blab on.

You can see the gear I used in the vid description.

I just found this forum searching for info to see what year Murray went to hotrails. To judge what pickup I have to pick up for the new video. That will dictate what amps etc I have at my disposal. I'm hoping it's a 2203 Marshall and g12-65 speakers as I have those. Ibut I have most speakersfrom that era. I also have super distortion pickups for the LP etc along with tube screamers, MXR's, EQ's old Wah's etc.

Cheers!! I'd say "up the ir**s" but I'm a Tottenham fan. So "Come on you Spurs!!"

matic22 This list is AMAZING!! Good job and I can relate to your obsession.

I may need your/forums help with a video in the future if possible? I just finished this video where I recreate the studio setup for the guitar's of Iron Maiden's first album. So in a month or two I want to do a Bruce era studio recreation.

Warning!!! I chat about the band and I'm sure nothing I say is news to most of you guys so bear with that aspect as I blab on.

You can see the gear I used in the vid description.

I just found this forum searching for info to see what year Murray went to hotrails. To judge what pickup I have to pick up for the new video. That will dictate what amps etc I have at my disposal. I'm hoping it's a 2203 Marshall and g12-65 speakers as I have those. Ibut I have most speakersfrom that era. I also have super distortion pickups for the LP etc along with tube screamers, MXR's, EQ's old Wah's etc.

Cheers!! I'd say "up the ir**s" but I'm a Tottenham fan. So "Come on you Spurs!!"

Hi welcome. Nice to see that the information in this thread was helpful to someone. Regearding what guitars and amps were used on Bruce era albums. From what I know:

TNOTB:
Adrian:
-Guitars: Ibanez Destroyer II, used on most of the album
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Goldtop with DiMarzio Super Distortion pickup in bridge position, used for some of the album, especially the clean parts (COTD)
-Amps: 50W Marshall JMP's

Dave:
-Guitar: Kossoff 1957 Strat with DiMarzio PAF and Super Distortion

POM:
Adrian:
-Guitars: Black Gibson Melody Maker, double cutaway and two humbuckers

Dave:

Powerslave:
Adrian:
-Guitars: Ibanez RoadstarII, Blue Sunburst

Dave:

SIT:
Adrian:
-Guitars: Jackson Custom Shop HSH stratocaster, white with black pickguard
Roland G-707 guitar synth controller
-Amps: Gallien Krueger 250ML

Dave:
-Guitars: Kossoff 1957 Strat with DiMarzio PAF and Super Distortion
1964 Stratocaster with same pickup configuration
-Amps: Gallien Krueger 250ML

SSOASS:
Adrian:
-Guitars: Jackson Custom Shop HSH stratocaster, white with black pickguard
-Amps: Gallien Krueger 2100SEL

Dave:
-Guitars: Kossoff 1957 Strat with DiMarzio PAF and Super Distortion
1964 Stratocaster with same pickup configuration
Electric Blue ESP Stratocaster
Cream ESP Stratocaster
-Amps: Gallien Krueger 2100SEL

That is what they used on classic albums AFAIK. +Effects. I think if you add a chorus and a tube screamer to that with a bit of reverb, you can get pretty close to H's tone. For Davey you are probably looking at a CryBaby Wah, MXR drive, a chorus, reverb and a script Phase 90 pedal.

I'll try to do the reunion albums when I return home.

Hope this helps. If I were you I would go for TNOTB/POM/Powerslave era in the next video, then the SIT/SSOASS in the next and lastly the reunion era, since the tones on those albums are quite similar.

P.S. Love your video.

Last edited:
Back