1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adrian, Janick and Dave's guitars over the years

Discussion in 'Maiden Chat' started by matic22, Sep 11, 2015.

1. AlexS

AlexS Invader

Yeah, the RS1000 came out around '81, so he likely would have had it from sometime pre-Piece of Mind (when they seemed to have some kind of relationship with Ibanez) through at least Slavery Tour years, however much he did or didn't use it.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  2. matic22

matic22 H is shorter for God.

That was probably 1970's strat that Dave trashed in Dortmund 1983.

3. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

Cool info. (The rest of your post as well!)

4. matic22

So now we know what H used on all classic albums:
    Killers: The Goldtop
    TNOTB: Ibanez Destroyer
    POM: Black Melody Maker with double cutaway
    Powerslave: Ibanez Roadstar
    SIT and SSOASS: White Jackson

5. IWishIHadAdriansDT300

IWishIHadAdriansDT300 Clive Burr's right foot

That was a Squier I believe, however I may be wrong. I found some photos (Thanks Ross Halfin) showing Davey with a Squier Strat with a near identical finish to the one in Dortmund

6. matic22

Backup Guitar:
    -White Jackson Soloist with 1 humbucker and 1 single coil

This guitar is not a Jackson. in fact it's an ESP with two mini humbuckers and a Bill Lawrence humbucker in the bridge position. It can be seen in the Countdown video of Wasted Years. My bad.

7. IWishIHadAdriansDT300

So did anyone else notice the sexy Jackson X-stroyer H has been playing this year on FOTD? [​IMG]

TheTalisman likes this.
  8. matic22

It was discussed in the official TBOS tour spoilers thread. That guitar was used on every show since 2nd night in LA of FOTD and IM, and also on The Number of The Beast on the second show in Tokyo and the show in Moscow.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    Brigantium likes this.
  9. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

Was it not used in Maiden England 2014 too, or was that a Destroyer?

10. matic22

That was a new Ibanez DT-500. I think Adrian acquired the X-stroyer and the green signature San Dimas from Jackson LACS just before the second show in LA. Since H is now probably exclusive user of Jackson guitars (A-grade endorser), he probably needed a hard-tail Jackson, and since Jackson have made an X-stroyer for Phil Collen before, they made another one for H.

11. itwaszero

itwaszero Prowler

It seems that he's using the X-stroyer for the songs he plays in Drop D on this tour -- aside from If Eternity Should Fail, which he plays with his white signature model, perhaps for the Floyd Rose. Fantastic thread btw, love it!

12. matic22

TNOTB was played with the 2007 Maple / Black pickguard AS Jackson prototype on all but two shows (2nd Tokyo night and Moscow). And if you ask how to distinguish the AS Jackson prototypes from production models: The white guiard / ebony prototype has Custom Shop written n the headstock instead of H's signature, and the black guard / maple proto has nothing. Also: It seems that H is using Seymour Duncan JB's in all but two of his guitars (the 2007 protos, which are Super Distortions).
    Here is a picture from Ovation.
    [​IMG]

If you look at the bottom case it says Jackson Ebony JB.

That picture also solves a few questions about which guitar of H's was stolen in Greece in 2008. It wasn't the first prototype. It was the second. If you watched Flight 666, you can see that H is still using his Strats as backups for the first two Jacksons he recieved (Serials 8431 and 8432, the latter is H's main guitar since 2008, except for TFF 2011 tour). An IMTV episode from 2nd leg of 2008 SBIT tour indicates that H recieved two more Custom Shop Jackson guitars (Cream Strat was gone and the #1 sunburst was 3rd on the stand). I bet one of those had the serial 8467 and that is the stolen guitar.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  13. IWishIHadAdriansDT300

I wish I had better picture quality for this, but Adrian and his Hamer Standard and a white 70s Strat for Dave
    1981, no idea of gig or specific time[​IMG]

Brigantium likes this.
  14. Mandume

Mandume Prowler

No, the Strat trashed at Dortmund in 1983 was a Squier.

15. AlexS

AlexS Invader

Here's that photo of Adrian with the Ibanez RS315. There's something at the 21st fret that I can't quite tell what it is - a custom inlay perhaps?

Adrian Smith with RS315.jpg

16. matic22

Another bit of information for you. The 70's Strat that Dave played last year had an JB in the bridge and a custom wound Alternative 8 pickup in the neck position. It was probably changed to something else during the European leg (they switched the pickups from white to zebras after the Prague show).

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  17. matic22

Ok, since I have a bit of time here is what H, Dave and Jan used on the previous The Book Of Souls 2016 world tour.

H's guitars:
    -Jackson AS Signature Ebony, 2007 prototype
    -Jackson AS Signature Ebony, production model with Seymour Duncan JB in bridge position
    -Jackson AS Signature Maple, 2007 prototype
    -Jackson AS Signature Maple, 2008, 2nd prototype
    -Jackson Custom Shop AS signature, Maple neck, Green sunburst, with JB in bridge position
    -Jackson Custom Shop X-Stroyer
    -Gibson Les Paul Slash signature, Rosso Corsa model

Dave's guitars:
    -Fender Custom Shop 70's stratocaster, Black, Rosewood fingerboard, JB in bridge and custom wound Alternative 8 in neck position
    -Fender California Series 2-tone Sunburst Stratocaster
    -Fender Floyd Rose Classic Stratocaster, Cream
    -Fender Floyd Rose Classic Stratocaster, Black
    -Gibson Les Paul Access in Tea Burst, With pickguard added, with JB and 59

Janick's guitars:
    -Fender Custom shop replicas (black and vintage white)
    -White 60's reissue strat
    -White spirit strat
    -Sandberg California series strat in Sunburst
    -Epiphone Les Paul Custom

Fun fact: Dave played his Sunburst strat on every song during the course of the tour.

18. IWishIHadAdriansDT300

Adrian has had his Lado Lazer since at least 84, and he also had a white Lado Superstrat that can be seen in a countdown video and a Japanese guitar magazine, with a black Jackson superstrat with a single bridge humbucker. Dave had 2 Lado STs made for him as well, one with a Kahler and one regular trem system.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

TheTalisman likes this.
  19. matic22

Wow man nice!!! I have never seen the a picture of the black Lado with a Floyd on it. I knew it had one installed after the European leg, but I've never seen a picture. Also the blue sunburst Roadstar is probably what Powerslave was recorded with.

20. IWishIHadAdriansDT300

Also noting the red Strat in the corner of one of the photos, that makes ~5 Strats that got Murray'd, not counting the two Squiers