Adrian, Janick and Dave's guitars and Steve's basses

This?
upload_2015-9-12_0-35-24.jpeg
upload_2015-9-12_0-35-35.jpeg
images

Hamer Scarab I've seen a pic of it with Adrian backstage, it's got Kahler tremolo, the one that Dave yielded on his black Strat during mid '80s.

I got a question. Does Maiden ever even use the middle pick-ups? I ask this because I saw that Dave has recently switched out his Hot Rails in the middle for a SD JB's. Why though? And again, where can we hear middle pick-ups being used both in studio and live?

Cool pic dude! Never seen these guys together. I know the songs but not this. Cheers!
The three of them play on Michael Kiske's solo album Instant Clarity (1996).

My favourite guitar in the lot:
-Candy Apple Red Jackson Stratocaster, black pickguard, maple neck, silver Floyd Rose and Seymour Duncan pickups (JB and 59)

Last edited:
I got a question. Does Maiden ever even use the middle pick-ups? I ask this because I saw that Dave has recently switched out his Hot Rails in the middle for a SD JB's. Why though? And again, where can we hear middle pick-ups being used both in studio and live?

He stated the reason for switching the middle pickup to a JB Jr. was better cleans. Which is obvious, the Hotrails is a one trick, high output destroyer of a pickup that anyone in need of a dynamic or versatile instrument better steer well clear of.

As I said, cleans? It's not like he's going to switch out the bridge or neck pickups which he needs for his signature distorted tones. Now he can have that special purpose for the middle position. Having a single coil in there would make it unusable (far too much difference in output). I'm sure his tenure with Les Pauls and other guitars made him realise that the Hotrails really provide a dissatisfying clean sound.

Dave almost always uses bridge+middle pickup for cleans. Although he started using neck+middle recently. Adrian is using a lot of neck pickup for cleans lately and also used bridge+middle on his #1 strat for clean parts on BTATS. The only demontration of the mini humbucker on The Holy LP (yet) is on En Vivo during intro of WTWWB.

BTW Janick guitars inbound in 24h.

Should be a rather short list, shouldn't it? :p

Black 60's Strat and its Fender Customshop replica, white Strat(s), Sandberg California Series... Done?

Forgot about the Gibson Chet Atkins acoustic.

Yeah.. but again, for what does he need the middle PU?

I also ought to add that it could be a pure marketing move done with Seymour Duncan and/or Fender - maybe they didn't want to market a 3 Hotrails-pickguard as the "Dave Murray"-set and wanted him to change the middle pickup to a JB Jr? After all, his signature guitar & pickguard was announced with both companies earlier this year and they are probably very concerned with getting the products to appeal to as many as possible.

gillan-janick.jpg

Time for Jan...
No Prayer tour:
Main guitar: 1964 Stratocaster in black (given to him by Ian Gillan), which is basically twin guitar to DM's 64 strat. Neck and bridge pickups switched to Hot Rails.
Backup guitar: 1970's Stratocaster in white witth maple neck, same pickups as 64. This is Janick's first strat according to him (he is holding that one on the picture)

FOTD tour:
Same two guitars plus a 60's sunburst stratocaster with stock pickups.

A Real Live One:

Same

X Factour:
Same, but the sunburst strat which is replaced by an arctic white 60's reissue strat with stock pickups.

Virtual IX
Same

1999-2009
All vintage guitars apart from white 70's strat and arctic white 60 reissue are retired and replaced with carbon copies from Fender custom shop, all neck and bridge pickups are changed to JB jr's. Black copy of 64 is main guitar, white copy of the 64 is main wireless guitar, the arctic white is main backup and the original 70's strat is now equiped with new neck (rosewood) and is being thrown around during IM. (During BNW tour were functons of the arctic white and white 64 copy vice versa). All gutars apart from the black copy have the midle pickups changed to SD hot rails during 2000's.

Same with sunburst strat making an appearance during El Dorado.

Two Sandberg stratocasters added. One vintage white with stock pickups and brown pickguard and one 3 tone sunburst with neck pickup changed to JB jr. The bridge pickup was stock during this tour. This is probably the guitar that Janick carries around with him (it was used at rehearsals while the other guitars were loaded on the plane).

Now
Vintage white Sandberg reitred and the sunburst one is now equipped with JB jr's in the bridge.

Back