A professional view of "These Colours Don't Run"

A

Anonymous

First things first. I believe this one to be the best song on "A matter of life and death".
It contains a great riff, good workin' bassline, and a great chorus. Its raw energy and dark, thoughtful lyrics, draws attention to a deeper look and thought to the song itself and its message and content.

I am a former Norwegian Home Guard Major, and current working as a Priest in the Church of Norway.
My military background is fairly basic, as I have served as a common soldier, even before I started studying Theology at University.
Now, it all turned very different being part of the Homeguard (or known in Norwegian as Heimevernet).

Having taught Ethics in classes I believe worthy to put some thoughts in on the album itself and TCDR in particular.

1) I remember one class, first topic is "What I am doing, serving the army"?
What is my identity as a soldier. Defining a mercenary: "Somebody fighting for another country, and being paid for it."
Question is: What's the difference between yourself and a mercenary?

Let's remember that Maiden are writing in their British context, probably reflecting on the English/British contributions
in certain conflicts across the globe.
The fact is that the UK have no conscript, only Soldiers signing up as volunteers. They are professional soldiers, designed to intervene in conflicts across the globe, as well as protecting the homeland.
Same goes for the US Marines, Army etc.
They also base themselves on volunteers.

Certain Scandinavian countries have conscript, forced 12 months military service.
Although, the professional, contract-signing privates and officers numbers have increased.
So, what is the difference between duty and being paid for your services.

What are the main urges and motivation for signing up for your country?

Well, for me would be to defend my homeland,family, neighbour and religion.
Or, I am obliged to.

Now, is it any different when you sign up for service to Afghanistan or other parts of the World?
How to protect your homeland flying your flag in some foreign ground under foreign command.
How to justify supporting the cause of NATO and the Americans?

Now, fighting terrorism is one thing. The other, occupying other nations is another.

What is the difference between yourself and a mercenary?

- Most answers were given swiftly: Difference is the money. Soldiers conscripted/drafted aren't paid good money.
Going abroad is a different thing. Mercenaries are being paid huge money. 
Now, second point: A mercenary serves his own interest, you are serving your country's.

Third point: Going abroad would however depend on fighting for a just cause. Now, wouldn't a mercenary not fight for a just cause?

Now, putting to light "These colours don't run":

It's the same in every country
when you say you're leaving
Left behind the loved ones
waiting silent in the hall
Where you're going lies adventure
others only dream of
Red and green light this is real
and so you go to war

TRUE, EVERYONE LEAVES BEHIND FAMILY, AND PUTS EVERYONE'S FUTURE IN JEOPARDY.
WHEN UPON THEIR RETURN BRINGS WITH THEM THE POST-TRAUMATIC SYNDROM, TYPICALLY
SUFFERED WHEN BEING IN A WARZONE OR CATASTROPHIC AREA.
NOT SURE, WHAT THEY MEAN BY SAYING "SILENT IN THE HALL"...
SURE, THE THRILL AND ADVENTURE IS ANOTHER REASON WHY PEOPLE LOOK FOR GOING ABROAD.
RED AND GREEN LIGHT. TROOPERS READY TO JUMP IN PARASHUTES GOING DOWN IN UNKNOWN TERRITORY.
WELL, AT LEAST THEY DID SO IN WORLD WAR II, BUT SURELY NOT TOO OFTEN WHEN HUGE PARTIES OF SOLDIERS AND PLATOONS MOVE WITH A HUGE AMOUNT OF GEAR.

For the passion, for the glory
for the memories, for the money
You're a soldier, for your country
what's the difference, all the same

YES, IS IT YOUR OWN DESIRES THAT DECIDES YOUR DESTINY, OR IS IT A KIND OF SICK SENSE OF GLORY BEING PART OF AN ARMY STATIONED IN AFGHANISTAN OR IRAQ?
WELL, ALL IN ALL, WE ALL DO IT FOR OUR COUNTRY, KING OR QUEEN, IT IS OUR DUTY.

Far away from the land of our birth
We fly a flag in some foreign earth
We sailed away like our fathers before
These colours don't run, from cold bloody war

YES, HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE FAR AWAY FROM HOME, FROM ALL THE SAFE BOUNDARIES, INTO THE DESERT, FACING HEAT, DIFFERENT WORLDS (CULTURES), MISSING YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS?
HOW DOES IT FEEL KNOWING THE FEAR AND ANXIETY OF KNOWING THAT YOU MIGHT NEVER RETURN.
AND, WHY GOING TO A FOREIGN LAND SHOWING OUR COLOURS. IN WHOSE SERVICE ARE WE HERE ANYWAY. WHY ARE HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE?
SOME MANAGE TO SEPARATE PRIVATE THOUGHTS, SOME DON'T. SOME REALIZE WE HAVE WORK TO DO.
BEING FAR AWAY, AT LEAST THE BRITONS CAN RELY UPON THE FACT THAT THEY ARE NOT THE FIRST ONE'S GOINGFAR AWAY PROTECTING THE WESTERN WORLD'S INTERESTS, THEIR OWN HOMELAND'S INTEREST.
ENGLAND WILL PREVAIL! RULE BRITANNIA.

REMEMBER THE COLONIES, THE MIDDLEEAST, 1ST AND 2ND WORLD WARS, UN OPERATIONS, NATO...
THE LIST OF YOUR SINS ARE CONJURING UP. SO IS THE WORLD. ALL FOR A JUST CAUSE.

There is no one that will save you
going down in flames
No surrender certain death you
look in the eye
On the shores of tyranny you
crashed a human wave
Paying for my freedom with your
lonely unmarked graves

I COULDN'T HELP PASSING THOUGHTS TO THE 14 SOLDIERS KILLED IN A PLANE ACCIDENT IN AFGHANISTAN 2 WEEKS AGO. THE PLANE CRASHED DOWN IN FLAMES, AND NOONE WERE THERE TO SAVE THEM.
ALTHOUGH, SALVATION COMES TO BELIEF IN JESUS CHRIST AND CONFESSION.

MY QUESTION IS: IS IT REALLY WORTH IT?

Back