7 ?

Maidenaustria

Ancient Mariner
Seven deadly sins, seven ways to win
Seven holy paths to hell, and your trip begins
Seven downward slopes, seven bloodied hopes
Seven are your burning fires, seven your desires...

I copied this out of the commentary, but I just know something about the seven deadly sins...

I couldn't find anything more on the commmentary, explaining those other "seven's"

I just found:
-Seven ways to win - A book about playing poker - or finding business friends [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Seven paths to hell and downward slopes would fit together with the seven sins!

But what are bloodied hopes, burning fires and why desired?

Do I have to read the book mentioned on the IMC, or anybody knows answers?

Be(a)st regards,
Maidenaustria

My theory:

All of the 7 deadly sins (anger, pride, lust, sloth, gluttony, greed and envy) are rooted in tendencies or even instincts that are necessary for human survival. For example, we have to eat to survive; it's only when one eats excessively that it becomes the "sin" of gluttony. Every one of these transgressions is the result of a good thing taken too far.

From that point of view, those opening lines make perfect sense. These tendencies can be like "burning fires" or "desires", but the same hope of a good life that following these desires gives you can become a "bloodied hope" if you go too far. The bit about "holy paths to hell" reminds me of the phrase "the road to hell is paved with good intentions".

It is wise to keep silence about those things "unlawful to utter" which one may have heard "in the seventh heaven".
From the [a href=\'http://www.sacred-texts.com/oto/lib800.htm\' target=\'_blank\']Liber Samekh[/a] [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Shhh! Not so loud, or everybody'll want some! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-SinisterMinisterX+Apr 7 2004, 03:27 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Apr 7 2004, 03:27 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] My theory:

All of the 7 deadly sins (anger, pride, lust, sloth, gluttony, greed and envy) are rooted in tendencies or even instincts that are necessary for human survival. For example, we have to eat to survive; it's only when one eats excessively that it becomes the "sin" of gluttony. Every one of these transgressions is the result of a good thing taken too far.

From that point of view, those opening lines make perfect sense. These tendencies can be like "burning fires" or "desires", but the same hope of a good life that following these desires gives you can become a "bloodied hope" if you go too far. The bit about "holy paths to hell" reminds me of the phrase "the road to hell is paved with good intentions". [/quote]
Hey thanks, that's a really good explaination... [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I can see more clearly on those words now....

(I knew where I had to ask this question)

Thanks alot my friends!
[!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-SinisterMinisterX+Apr 7 2004, 03:27 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Apr 7 2004, 03:27 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] My theory:

All of the 7 deadly sins (anger, pride, lust, sloth, gluttony, greed and envy) are rooted in tendencies or... [/quote]
Aren´t these the capital sins ???

I think the deadly sins are different from those you posted... [!--emo&:unsure:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/unsure.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'unsure.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Capital, Deadly and Cardinal Sins are all the same. All those names refer to the same seven listed in the post above by SMX.

From that point of view, those opening lines make perfect sense. These tendencies can be like "burning fires" or "desires", but the same hope of a good life that following these desires gives you can become a "bloodied hope" if you go too far. The bit about "holy paths to hell" reminds me of the phrase "the road to hell is paved with good intentions". [/quote]
this makes perfect sense. Great theory, sinister!

A bit food for thought:

The number seven is very much connected to the spiritual world. Many regard seven as the lucky number as opposed to thirteen. Just some appearances of the number seven:

-God is supposed to have created the world in seven days, according to the Bible. In Jewish and Christian belief, the seventh day is the last day of the week, and the sacred day. In the Jewish calendar, the week begins on Sunday (note that I may be mistaken on this one).

-Seven deadly sins

-In Antroprosophy, a highly spiritual philosophical school, the human life works in seven-year-intervals. At the age of seven, the child is ripe to begin higher education in school. At the age of fourteen, puberty reaches its peak. At the age of twenty-one, the child is now a grown-up person.

-Hell often has either seven or nine gates

-Seven wonders of the ancient world. A coincidence?

-Seven seas

-Seven continents

-Maiden's seventh studio album is their best [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Just to add to the last post, when the seventh seal is opened, the seven angels are given seven trumpets; and in Revelations 15 and 16 the Seven angels with seven plagues are told to pour out the seven bowls of God's wrath on the earth.

Also there are seven churches: Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia and Laodicea. "The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands are the seven churches."

Then the Lamb who is worthy to open the scroll with seven seals had seven horns and seven eyes.

Maybe I'm labouring the point a bit, but I thought I'd impress upon you the importance of the number 7 in the book of Revelation.

Like my father before me I am the youngest of seven brothers... Does this mean I'm the chosen one or does is merely prove that my parents and grandparents didn't know shit about birth-control? [!--emo&:unsure:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/unsure.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'unsure.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-664+Oct 24 2005, 01:42 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(664 @ Oct 24 2005, 01:42 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Like my father before me I am the youngest of seven brothers... Does this mean I'm the chosen one or does is merely prove that my parents and grandparents didn't know shit about birth-control?  [!--emo&:unsure:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/unsure.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'unsure.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]121084[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Lol. Have any tendencies to go around predicting disaster on unfortunate villagers?

Back