5 Maiden solos that memorably surpass the impact of a fantastic solo immediately prior to it

...not necessarily the best Maiden solos of all time, but those that take a song to a higher level following straight after a prior rockin' solo. Make sense? Good..

1) Adrian's Caught Somewhere in Time solo - Dave leads off with a minute long legato-fest yet Adrian's follow up is unforgettable.
2) Dave's Alexander the Great solo - H's solo is a solid lead off then Dave's solo spirals higher and higher into my mind and momentarily departs somewhere beyond the song into unimaginable realms before a soothing return as the final chorus begins.
3) Dave's Dance of Death solo - Adrian pulls out one of my favourite H solos ever before Dave cuts in with a short solo that seems to stop time. One of Dave's best..full of soul.
4) Adrian's Coming Home solo - I can visualize Dave's closed eyes and pursed lips as he bends notes during his bluesy solo before Adrian follows up with a solo that makes me feel I'm lying on my back atop Ed Force One and gazing at the stars.
5) Adrian's The Duellists solo - ok, cheating a little as there is a short harmony between solos...but after Dave's smooth fretwork, during which you can here Steve hit an odd (wrong?) note towards the end, Adrian cuts in with a solo full of pinch harmonics...nice.

Janick receives an honourable mention for No More Lies!

Last edited:
In other words:

Mention your 5 favourite 2nd/3rd/xth solos which surpass the previous solo(s) that came right before it? :D

Gotta give this a thought.

So that's the new trend then?
Alright, who's going to start the "5 solos that surpass the following solo", "5 solos that are just as good as the previous/next solo" and "5 solos that can be better or worse than the previous/next solo depending on how happy I feel today and the NYSE index" threads?

Hmmmm...there may be six solos in Seventh Son so we could play that game ;)

...the subject may seem tedious on first read..but when one solo builds off the momentum of the previous it can be an album's defining moment. The Caught Somewhere In Time solos are a prime example..the combination of which is my favourite moment of the album. The Powerslave solos are my highlight of Powerslave..they reach a crescendo during Dave's second solo although it is debatable whether Dave's first solo is "bettered" by those that follow.

So that's the new trend then?
Alright, who's going to start the "5 solos that surpass the following solo", "5 solos that are just as good as the previous/next solo" and "5 solos that can be better or worse than the previous/next solo depending on how happy I feel today and the NYSE index" threads?
I was thinking "5 favorite solos and 3 favorite licks from each solo". :D

Favourite lick within a solo = These Colours Don't Run - Adrian Smith @ 4:31-4:36

Favourite note within a lick = Blood Brothers - Dave Murray @ 3:16-3:17

Favourite bending of a note = Where the Wild Wind Blows - Adrian Smith @ 4:42-4:43

Favourite hammer-on = Powerslave - Dave Murray @ 2:57-2:58

Favourite simultaneous use of a tremolo bar while playing a legato run = Rime of the Ancient Mariner - Dave Murray @ 9:50-9:53

I'm a guitar player. I love solos. I love knowing who is soloing. But people, I just don't spend this much time analyzing solos.

Back