22, Acacia Avenue

How good is 22, Acacia Avenue on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: 22, Acacia Avenue

My third favourite from the album. I love the "beat her, mistreat her, do anything that you please" (etc) part. I probably would've given this an 8 normally, but I decided it wasn't getting the love it deserved, so I gave it a 9. In truth it is a solid 8.5 ;)

An early example of Maiden’s penchant for complex songwriting. Am I right to conclude this is the first time Steve takes someone else’s composition and grafts it on to some of his own stuff to create something completely new? Love the first minute or so. The rest is interesting but never really launches. A solid seven.

Hmm, I seem to be the only one who had this song click right away and loved it ever since.
A great track that perfectly contributes to the atmosphere of the album: Strong and epic, dark and sinister. 9/10.

9/10 Some really catchy riffs in this song, I always find myself singing along with this one.

8/10 Really good song from a damn fine album. And like Perun, this song clicked with me straight away.

Watching it being performed live on the Beast on the Road tour as a teenager, I really don't think I was actually looking at the band play this one. Can't for the life of me remember why!

Another one of my fave tracks from NOTB, third best after HBTN and The Prisoner. Much better than Charlotte The Harlot, both musically and lyrically. 8/10

A different kind of long song for Maiden with a hard groove and a totally off beat riff in the middle of the song. The chorus here is more like a bridge to the continuing storyline when Bruce sings (Charlotte, can't get off all this madness, can't you see it only brings you sadness) which is pretty realistic. Dave's bluesy solo is totally off the cuff and it's so perfect it seems he sat down to compose it. Adrian's final solo is absolutely stunning. One of the best of the band's career. 10.

This song is my favourite H contribution of this album. An old Urchin song, rebuilt with Steve. And what a great result it became. The song brings tension immediately, with the start of Adrian's threatening riff and we're hearing Bruce on top of it. The song has a very enjoyable chorus. I knew that chorus first from Live After Death (where Bruce hardly sings and where the audience can't be heard well) so it was a bit of a revelation to hear the original.  :)

Later a lot of stuff is happening. The song changes with a more aggressive riff (again introduced by Adrian), a faster tempo and different rhythm, and I love the way the whole band joins him.

Both Dave and Adrian deliver some of their finest solos of the album. Dave's slow solo in Powerslave (stylewise) reminded me of this one, and Adrian's solo in Die With Your Boots On (a bit stylewise but especially the place in the song) sounds like he was inspired by his own co-written track, 22.

One of the three masterpieces from this album, amazing solos, great performance by Bruce, catchy riffs. 10/10

10 out of 10...  22 is one of the band's best efforts, period. The first of Adrian's real masterpieces, the riff is one of my all time favorites. Both solos rank among my personal favorites as well; Dave and Adrian are both shining on this one...

Great song, but doesn't have as much energy in the studio as it does live, and I rate 4 songs (Hallowed, the Prisoner, NOTB, and COTD) higher.  8.

My favorite song on this album. Some great solos and the transitions are awesome. I listened to the LAD version yesterday, and it confirmed to me how much I love this tune. 10/10

22 Acacia Avenue gets a 10/10, it's got all the ingredients of a great Maiden classic and the performaces are first rate.

Back