?

Jupz

Ancient Mariner
Well I was bored so for the first time I went on to the thing which lets you see everyone online and what they are viewing, and like 6-8 guests were reporting topics to moderators. What is up with this? Do you guys have to filter through all this every time you log on(mods)?

From what I gather, these are spiders or bots or something which click on every link available, not going any further. I think in this year, there may have been two or three fake reports, at best.

Spiders aren't harmful to the site though are they? I thought they worked for google.

They can come from Google and from Yahoo or whoever else has a search engine. I believe they are harmless as they are only collecting page snapshots to cache back at google or wherever.

They are evil bugs sent by google to collect information. Basically to keep the search engines up to date.

It's an automated computer program, typically called a "bot". It goes to a webpage and follows every link, eventually looking at every page on the site ... just like a spider walking all over a web.

Typically (as Albie said) they simply report page contents back to a search engine. Some engines gather specific data: for example, Google looks at the words used to link to a page.

They can be built for nefarious causes, but beware. If you simply start looking at IPs in numerical order, you'll soon hit some classified US govt IPs and the Feds will kick your lily ass. :innocent:

Also I like to look at what the spiders are reading and read any interesting threads, I've come across quite a few of them.

Yeah I was just doing that, then got caught in a thread that Yax started four years ago about how teletubbies might get banned in Poland.

Back