18 years ago today

GhostofCain

Ancient Mariner
It was announced that Bruce Dickinson and Adrian Smith had re-joined Iron Maiden. Few would have imagined back then that the band would be as big as they are in 2017. :eek: :eek:

I have enjoyed these years immensely, from the new albums and subsequent tours to the history tours based on different periods of the band's history. I have been lucky enough to attend some amazing live shows and I rate the new albums they have recorded quite highly (AMOLAD and TBOS in particular). I cannot wait to see them again in May at some gigs in the UK.

For these reasons, I would like to say "thank you Iron Maiden"! The end might be near, but you have made many people really happy. I am one of them. I will raise a Trooper to your legacy this evening. Up the Irons!

:notworthy::fencing::cheers: :edmetal:

this was the pre-internet days, and I found out about it completely out of the blue unexpectedly. I was on the way into college, stopped at a newsagent and seen it was on the cover of Kerrang or Metal Hammer (probably kerrang as it was a weekly).

went to Paris for the first European gig of the new line up, which was a commitment because again it was pre-internet low fare airlines etc. and I was a broke student but I had to see this gig as it was such a historic moment and honestly I thought there might be a good chance that the reunion would not be a success, Maiden's stock was low, and I thought their could be a personality clash between Bruce and Steve or Bruce might have done a runner again if it wasn't a success commercially.

If you'ld asked me then I would have thought there was no chance the band would still be around 18 years later or have put out 5 great albums. It's completely unparalleled for a band to have such a oeriod of prolonged success commercially and creatively in the latter stages of their careers.

Still remember it as if it was yesterday. I had really high expectations. Especially after the Chemical Wedding album. I lived in UK back in the day. I was really annoyed that the Gimme Ed or whatever the tour was called did not include a UK date. Then came Brave new World. I was first in line at the local HMV. Hugely dissapointed by it. I should have known that it was mostly Roy who made AOB and CW such great albums...H was not supposed to write material in drop D. This is the style he mastered back then. Oh well...at least BOS is quite ok.

Still remember it as if it was yesterday. I had really high expectations. Especially after the Chemical Wedding album. I lived in UK back in the day. I was really annoyed that the Gimme Ed or whatever the tour was called did not include a UK date. Then came Brave new World. I was first in line at the local HMV. Hugely dissapointed by it. I should have known that it was mostly Roy who made AOB and CW such great albums...H was not supposed to write material in drop D. This is the style he mastered back then. Oh well...at least BOS is quite ok.

Hugely disappointed by Brave New World? Huh?

:facepalm:
Although it sounds very different from Bruce albums that you liked, it's still a monster

An exciting time that was. I was stinking up the official bb (free!) loving BNW.
I've enjoyed all of the reunion stuff bar the absolute garbage that is TBOS. Life's too short.
It's fun watching the jumbo on YouTube though.

I wouldn't say disappointment, letdown would be more of a word to describe how BNW sounded to someone who wanted TCW 2.
However I loved the production of BNW, I still do.

The big problem with the last 18 years is that some of the short, uptempo punchy numbers never or rarely get played live: Fallen Angel, Montsegur, the Alchemist for example.
Strongly agree with this. I find it completely baffling that those songs were never played live (or in the case of Fallen Angel, only at select shows). I thought the TBOS tour had a good balance here though.

Back