12th October 2006 - Uniondale, New York – USA

A

Anonymous

You know what you have to do now. And don't forget the spoiler tags!  -_-

The parking lot was pretty scary beforehand, so I knew it was going to be a rough crowd.

There were definite audible boos when Bruce said that they were going to play the new album in it's whole.  A ton of people walking around the hallways of the place not even listening.  Guy in front of me giving the finger the whole time.  On the way back to the cars afterwards there was alot of bitching.

My problem isn't so much that they played the whole new album right from the start of the show, it was the fact that I didn't know it was coming.  I heard guys talking before we went in that they knew the setlist, but I wanted no spoilers so I stayed away from the conversation.  So what do you do in a parking lot, but drink, smoke up, and get pumped for the show.  When you have a group of buddies all sitting around trying to guess the opener and are fired up to hear "Number of the Beast" or the like, it's extremely tough to switch gears.  I wish I knew beforehand because I would have gotten myself fired up for something different than what I was expecting.

It was very cool for what it was, and I wish I could go again knowing how the set was going to go.... seeing Maiden jam for 1:45 no matter what should be awesome.  But I just don't think it's fair to belittle people who are disappointed in the show.  I'm 36 years old and for whatever reason I missed Maiden on all of their tours (admittedly got out of it after Seventh Son), so this was my first time seeing them and I was looking forward to hearing songs that have been out longer than a month.  Heck, I even bought the "Life and Death" album knowing they'd pepper at least a few of the songs in, so I'd at least have heard them.

Again, please understand it's a matter of peoples' expectations, not Maiden's execution.  If I knew they were going to play the new album from start to finish right off the bat, I would have liked to have known that.  I guess that's what happens when I tried to avoid the spoilers.

Back