BEST BAND EVER: Results!

YMC6hSf.gif

Shawn Lane was on a ridiculously high level in terms of technique and surely an inspiration in some right (I specifically remember being inspired by him at one point about two years ago) but some of the other big league guitarists sound more interesting, imo.

James Hetfield is pretty damn good at playing fast riffs and that is what thrash metal is all about: fast riffage. It's not easy to keep up with that and from what live footage I've seen of Metallica, Hetfield is more consistent than Hammett.

I haven't heard Mastodon all that much. These solo examples remind me of Janick's deliberately kind of sloppy style, but it sounds worse because Hinds' tone is all scooped while Janick's is more beefy. Such is my opinion.

Yngwie Malmsteen used to be really good technically but all his licks sound the same to me. Gets boring quickly.

My favourite guitarist in this round is definitely John Petrucci. The way I see it, he is the quintessential guitar hero. Catchy riffs, crazy solos, war god appearance - he has it all.

Last edited:
Worth noting: so far the only person with 0 votes is Tony Iommi, who is no doubt less technically skilled than a lot of these players. I'm glad that we seem to be taking writing into account when voting.

This solo is better than anything those two ever recorded (guitar-wise, not whole songs).

A couple different ascending note patterns? Nah, thanks. Glad I voted for him.

Indeed! Not to mention blasphemous. I just find it interesting considering people are talking about how they are voting based on technical skill/ability, of which Iommi is no doubt at the low end of the curve.

Iommi invented a sound with his guitar playing, that's huge. I don't take songwriting ability into account, but I do take sound and style into account.

Did I miss something where we were supposed to vote for the most technically superior guitar player?
Best band ever better have guys who can write songs, support them with catchy riffs, and be part of a band

No way in hell a wanker like Malmsteen gets in my band ahead of laser-focused riff machines like Young and Hetfield.
And voting out a genius like Townsend while keeping guys who have never written a memorable song in their life? Jesus Christ people.

No way in hell a wanker like Malmsteen gets in my band ahead of laser-focused riff machines like Young and Hetfield.

I say fuck all three of them. In the long run, at least. However, for now, I enjoy Malmsteen's albums more than AC/DC's or Metallica's, so there's your answer.

And voting out a genius like Townsend while keeping guys who have never written a memorable song in their life? Jesus Christ people.

By that logic, let's go for Dylan, Lennon and Harrison only. Oh, and Lindsey Buckingham, finally. That's one bloke with technical profficiency who was a great songwriter. But Hendrix is fucked, for example.

Did I miss something where we were supposed to vote for the most technically superior guitar player?
Best band ever better have guys who can write songs, support them with catchy riffs, and be part of a band

If there were the case, Tony Iommi wouldn't have 0 votes.

Overexposed! Underrated! Stop voting based on technical proficiency! Your signature could use an update, NP...:innocent:
Voting for Alex Skolnick, Malcolm Young, Roland Grapow and Roy Z.

In that category, that's Steve Vai for me. Freakier, more adventurous, better moves. Agree with your statement about Yngwie.

Steve comes across as too much of an eccentric show-off to me, although I know it's an act and he's really a humble guy. Musically, I have mixed feelings about him. He has mind blowing stuff like Tender Surrender but then most songs I've heard have not been very memorable.

Shhh, there are going to be three, but the third one will spend most of his stage life unplugged. :ninja:

I try to judge the guitarists on their individual strengths. If it comes down to Pete Townshend vs Buckethead, I'm obviously not going to make technicality the main criteria. Being technically gifted isn't enough to win me over anyway, hence the vote for Yngwie. I'm more interested in songwriting, tone, phrasing, and versatility.

Also really doesn't seem like the technical players are doing better here. Alex Skolnick, Yngwie, and Tony MacAlpine are getting a pretty good amount of votes while BB King and Pete Townshend are safe.

Back