Worst Iron Maiden Song

The narrator on 22Acacia Avenue is merely stating the facts of Charlotte's life.

Yeah, then he tries to get her to give up being a whore. The song is actually anti-prostitution. Of course he fails, and Charlotte dies with the devil, as we learn later in From Here To Eternity..

Yeah, then he tries to get her to give up being a whore. The song is actually anti-prostitution. Of course he fails, and Charlotte dies with the devil, as we learn later in From Here To Eternity..

the song glorifies prostitution for men in the first few lines then bashes the whore "Charlotte" through the next 2 versus and then picks back up to the guy picking Charlotte up and leaving with her.... it's really a double standard song if you think about it. Perfect song choice for Bruce to rip Miss Metal's top off on stage lol

it's actually one of my favorite songs... I think it's brilliant! Maybe not lyrically but musically they work together quite well

I reckon the lyrics are in no small part influenced by Strange Kind of Woman and the agressive nature (beat her, mistreat her etc) leads me to believe Paul DiAnno wrote them or at least had a hand in them. The lyrics, I think, make it unlikely to make a live return. Crackin tune, regardless.

Could be very cynical and say he's trying to control her. Look how hot she is, everyone, by the way, she's mine. Stop screwing other men, you're ruining your life, I can rescue you.

That's exactly what's happening in the song.

Even the way "coming" is underlined in the final lyric, as if to suggest a double meaning.

Lyrics are written from three different mindsets of a single person that fell in love with someone who sells love for cash. Depending on who he is with - a random stranger, alone or with her. I never ever saw these lyrics as sexist, on the contrary, one of the images over this song is a girl from Dortmund gig with blonde wiggly hair and that 80s tracksuit top clapping her hands being 100% into the song.

The end verse of 22 really feels like white knighting - it's not established that Charlotte wants to leave the life she's in. We assume at a general level that prostitution is bad and that no prostitutes want to do this, but how do we know? If she had expressed any desire to not be a prostitute, then it is fine, as is, it's a little...taking possession over the woman.

holy smoke is one of the worst songs i've ever heard by any band ever
giphy.gif

Sorry, say that again? :huh:

I was listenning to FOTD today in the car... can't stand a 12 songs-album, one of them being The Apparition. Completely forgettable song, and probably the only of the 155 studio songs that I actually dislike (The Unbeliever isn't far from this status).

That whole album has grown on me a lot recently. Great solo section

If No Prayer had better production I think it would be a genuinely good album. Sure, still not close to the bands best but it has some legitimately good songs (Fates Warning, Public Enema) that are let down by it.

Back