Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Realistically, I think they have time for one more album/corresponding tour and then the big farewell tour (given their current pace, those activities would probably take 3-4 years and I can't see Nicko going past 70). I can't see another history in the mix unless it's limited to a very short run of dates. The unfortunate reality is that Maiden's career is (to use a footballing/soccer term) in "injury time" -the game is almost over.

Last edited:
Realistically, I think they have time for one more album/corresponding tour and then the big farewell tour. I can't see another history in the mix unless it's limited to a very short run of dates. The unfortunate reality is that Maiden's career is (to use a footballing/soccer term) in "injury time" -the game is almost over.

If all of them are healthy I give them 5 more years (until Nicko is 70). I can also see them doing less and less shows per year. Also the chances for big farewell tour are slim, because I dont think that Nicko will be able to play cca 70 shows per year when he is 68 or 69. I can see them doing less and less dates per year and being more Europe concentrated, until they ultimately decide that they won't tour anymore.

Is it me or does Nicko seem a spry 65? Im not immediately concerned with his age. I know it's an advanced age, and things could change rapidly in the next half decade.
I'm confident two more albums and perhaps three tours are achievable. Nicko seems to have as much or more juice as the other members. Godspeed to him.

Is it me or does Nicko seem a spry 65? Im not immediately concerned with his age. I know it's an advanced age, and things could change rapidly in the next half decade.
I'm confident two more albums and perhaps three tours are achievable. Nicko seems to have as much or more juice as the other members. Godspeed to him.
I think it all depends on how much they milk every tour. If they suck it dry like the ME tour, it's even possible that they have only 2 tours left.

I saw The Who recently and Townsend/Daltrey are in their 70s - they were great, but they did do some extended breaks/instrumentals for Daltrey to rest his voice throughout, and their shows don't have the physicality/movement of a Maiden shows. I dunno...I suppose it's possible.

Part of the challenge is that part of the fun of a Maiden show is watching Bruce long-jump over the monitors, Steve sprinting across the stage, Janick doing the goofy windmill kicks etc...while they technically might be able to play well into their senior years, I think they'll stop when they can't consistently deliver the 'full stage presence'.

I saw The Who recently and Townsend/Daltrey are in their 70s - they were great, but they did do some extended breaks/instrumentals for Daltrey to rest his voice throughout, and their shows don't have the physicality/movement of a Maiden shows. I dunno...I suppose it's possible.

Part of the challenge is that part of the fun of a Maiden show is watching Bruce long-jump over the monitors, Steve sprinting across the stage, Janick doing the goofy windmill kicks etc...while they technically might be able to play well into their senior years, I think they'll stop when they can't consistently deliver the 'full stage presence'.

Drumming is a whole different story... Especially if the drummer is developing arthritis, which Nicko sadly is. Look at Neil Peart. He is younger than Nicko (a few months), but he retired, because he feels he can't perform good enough anymore. I would bet that even if Moon was alive today, he wouldn't be playing with who anymore.

Drumming is a whole different story... Especially if the drummer is developing arthritis, which Nicko sadly is. Look at Neil Peart. He is younger than Nicko (a few months), but he retired, because he feels he can't perform good enough anymore. I would bet that even if Moon was alive today, he wouldn't be playing with who anymore.

Good point. Even if Moon was there, I bet it would be a subdued/simplified performance (if he could play at all). Charlie Watts still performs well live, but the Stones are a completely differently different animal in terms of drumming dexterity.

I'm not overly worried about Nicko's age. He's off the booze and it's not like the touring these days compares to the old days. They have gaps between dates, sleep in comfortable top class hotels and as long as he eats well and looks after himself he could easily do 10 more years minimum.

I know drumming is demanding but if he looks after himself and works out a bit plus has a good diet I don't see him slowing down for a while. He always seems sprightly and full of beans in interviews.

If you look at the state of some drummers like bill ward for example who seems convinced he can still do big world tours then Nicko is a spring chicken next to him lol.

I'm not overly worried about Nicko's age. He's off the booze and it's not like the touring these days compares to the old days. They have gaps between dates, sleep in comfortable top class hotels and as long as he eats well and looks after himself he could easily do 10 more years minimum.

I know drumming is demanding but if he looks after himself and works out a bit plus has a good diet I don't see him slowing down for a while. He always seems sprightly and full of beans in interviews.

If you look at the state of some drummers like bill ward for example who seems convinced he can still do big world tours then Nicko is a spring chicken next to him lol.

Bill Ward has been living in denial for ages...

Nicko's problem is a combination of health (he is not getting any younger) and problems (arthritis) that are not going to go away so easily if at all. At least it seems he is taking care of himself.

Last edited:
Yeah, we don't know how Nicko's arthritis is already affecting him and how quickly it may worsen. He said he didn't see himself still doing it in ten years' time.

I know that Alex Lifeson of Rush also has a problem with it. During Rush's last tour he needed quite a few shows to perform as he used to. I think the most important thing is that Nicko doesn't overextend in the performances (tempos and number of concerts per year).

Which was the last song Maiden played live for the first time apart from songs of the previous album? (If they ever did it)
As far as I know, none. The closest to fitting this description is "The Great Unknown" which was only played during the second leg of the tour promoting the album it comes from (The Book of Souls).

Last edited:
All played songs have been debuted on their respective album tours, with the exception of those songs that were played live before they made it to an album.
That is, all songs from Killers, except "Murders in the Rue Morgue", "Purgatory" and, of course, "Prodigal Son" (never played live). Technically, it would also work for "Run To The Hills" and "The Prisoner" (Xmas gig at the Ruskin Arms in December 1981).

That is, all songs from Killers, except "Murders in the Rue Morgue", "Purgatory" and, of course, "Prodigal Son" (never played live). Technically, it would also work for "Run To The Hills" and "The Prisoner" (Xmas gig at the Ruskin Arms in December 1981).
Also El Dorado and Wildest Dreams, both performed before albums were released, but they were already released as singles.

Also another technicality would be songs like Sanctuary or Total Eclipse that weren't on albums in some territories.

But the gist of the query is true, if Maiden don't play a song on it's albums tour they are likely to never play it.

Not "Wildest Dreams" (released in early September as a single, and I saw it live in Paris in June)

Yeah Bruce used to make a big deal about not giving a fuck if anyone in the crowd wanted to bootleg wildest dreams once they bought the album when it came out.

Technically, it would also work for "Run To The Hills" and "The Prisoner" (Xmas gig at the Ruskin Arms in December 1981).

Actually, all NOTB tracks were played live before release of the album, which was on 22. March 1982, whereas the Beast on the Road tour kicked off in February that year. Even Beast Over Hammersmith was recorded before the album was released.
EDIT: The same goes for World Piece, World Slavery and Somewhere on Tour. Seventh Son was the first album to be released before the corresponding tour started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back