Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Great Unknown. Tears of the Clown was really nice, but it slowed the flow of the gig right after Children of the Damned. I felt the set flowed better in 2017.

Quite happy to have seen both live though.

I am pretty able to see and enjoy separate songs as individual entities, also during concerts (concerts within a concert, so to speak). So, if a song slows down the "flow"... f*ck that, if it is good on its own.

To people who care more about concert flow: Why would The Great Unknown not slow things down? That intro and outro, people? Slower and more repetitive than anything in Clown.

TGU was awesome live. enjoyed it way more than TOAC.

even though the book of souls tour is officially in the book, i'd really love for them to play shadows of the valley or when the river runs deep next year. fucking love those tunes.

This is a bit out of the scope of the current discussion but I have to say that one of my hopes for the next Maiden album is that they completely remove all limiters on what Maiden "should be" -- use 7 string guitars on a couple songs, tune down below drop D, experiment more! Less clean intro/outros and repeating choruses. Look not only at Bruce's solo material or Primal Rock Rebellion but also at Maiden stuff which has used DADGAD, drop D, D standard. I'm not saying a whole album of down tuned or 7 string stuff but maybe sprinkle it in here and there. Bruce has stuff way down in A on Chemical Wedding (when played live, Roy Z and Adrian Smith used drop D guitars with an octave down effect on King In Crimson & Trumpets of Jericho -- Roy Z confirmed this in a tweet).

If this might be their last one, I want the gloves off. Relinquish a bit of control, Steve!

I want more Bruce/Adrian songwriting control for the next album. If Eternity Should Fail - is classic epic new century Maiden. Bruce sings comfortably. TRATB - too much words to sing. I think, nowadays, Bruce has better knowing/feeling how to write great songs. TRATB - imho, is badly edited. Ending is gorgeous, but begining - to my non english speaking ears - Bruce vocally whines. I like more Bruce's lyrics, Steve stuck little bit in the mortality issues. In other words, you can write about grim sides of life but present it not so depressing. Infinite Dreams - is great example of energetic 'dark issues' song.
sorry for my english. just random thoughts. i love Steve and all, but sometimes, you need to try different things. Chemical Wedding is great example..

To people who care more about concert flow: Why would The Great Unknown not slow things down? That intro and outro, people? Slower and more repetitive than anything in Clown.
Later in the gig, right after Powerslave and The Trooper instead of Speed of Light and Children of the Damned. TGU also had and intro and outro with audience participation, which helps in a live setting.

This is a bit out of the scope of the current discussion but I have to say that one of my hopes for the next Maiden album is that they completely remove all limiters on what Maiden "should be" -- use 7 string guitars on a couple songs, tune down below drop D, experiment more! Less clean intro/outros and repeating choruses. Look not only at Bruce's solo material or Primal Rock Rebellion but also at Maiden stuff which has used DADGAD, drop D, D standard. I'm not saying a whole album of down tuned or 7 string stuff but maybe sprinkle it in here and there. Bruce has stuff way down in A on Chemical Wedding (when played live, Roy Z and Adrian Smith used drop D guitars with an octave down effect on King In Crimson & Trumpets of Jericho -- Roy Z confirmed this in a tweet).

If this might be their last one, I want the gloves off. Relinquish a bit of control, Steve!
More chance of Steve dropping wrathchild from set!

I love how so many people dismiss no prayer, FOTD and the blaze albums. It's only the vocal minority on message boards that seem to think that the 90's with Maiden should be written off. Certainly the vast majority of Maiden fans spoke with their wallets when these albums were released, at least in the UK they did. No payer had the there one and only uk no:1 single, FOTD their 3rd and final number 1 charting album and a number 2 single with be quick or be dead. Headlined monsters of rock as part of the FOTD tour. Heck even the blaze albums drew decent crowds albeit at smaller venues than before on the respective tours.

I reckon a 90's themed history tour would go down quite well and apart from the 0.001% of fans moaning on forums I bet plenty of people would turn up!

Seriously though, album sells and gig attendance might say something about fans loyalty but not necessarily the material quality.

I've posted many times that I'd love a tour focusing on 90s material. The FOTD and Real Live/Dead tours had cool set lists. Plus the latter despite iffy performances by Bruce showed they could go on the road with more than 16 tracks up their sleeve and they could rotate the odd track. I'd have much rather seem the 92 monsters of rock set list instead if the recent dull maiden England one. It would have been holy smoke!

I have no problem with the 90's tour. I have a problem with the fact that there is no time for it. Same goes for the greatest hits tours. Nicko is 65 and I want as much new music from Maiden as possible before they call it a day. I wouldn't mind songs like NPFTD, BQOBD, JBMG, SOTC or The Clansman appearing on the album tours though.

Well taking the bands age into consideration for me personally I'd like to see one more history tour with a focus on the 90's. There's plenty of tunes from the 4 albums they did to cherry pick a decent set plus throw in a couple of old classic set staples then a new album and a final tour for the new album. The new album could have a tour like the BOS, over 2 legs. The first leg is the usual new album tour with 6/7 new tracks and the standard classics then a second leg with maybe 3/4 tracks of the new album and the rest of the set made up of reunion era tracks only. To coincide with the second leg they release a live DVD and album from the matter of life and death tour with the final part of the history documentary series and the second leg wraps things up for the final era and the complete history of Maiden is fully told.

I'd be over the moon if they ended things as I described above and once the tour draws to a close they don't announce it's the end they just sort of bow out like pink floyd did with no big fanfare and no big announcement. The only difference would be, health permitting they maybe do the odd show here and there, headlining a festival or something until they physically can't do it any more.

The perfect ending for me. I know people keep banging on about new music but I'd hate them to chuck out another 2/3 albums over the next 4/5 years as the quality is bound to dip if they try and get too much new music out. One more history tour, one more album and a 2 legged tour as described above is the ending I'd want.

As I said before, my favourite option would be another TFF style tour, with the first leg being a nineties setlist and the second leg an album one with a few carryovers. I'm not holding my breath, though.

What would be ideal scenario IMHO:
Maiden enters studio at the end of the year. They record 100 minutes of new music, but decide to release it on two albums. Early 2018 the first album is released and Maiden tours behind that playing 5 new songs along with some 90's material, couple of rare tunes and a few classics. At the end of the year the second album is released and they tour behind that in 2019.

But knowing Maiden, that won't happaen.

This thread should be renamed "Iron Maiden 2018 album/tour idle speculation". We have absolutely no rumours to go with at the moment. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back