Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only three times (Rainbow, RiR, DOTR) - four if you count Donington VHS (Raising Hell doesn't really count, does it?). It's not that many.
I was counting live releases including both videos and albums, so you'd need to add LAD and Beast over Hammersmith to the count. For a song that's not necessarily a setlist staple, six different official releases over the years is a fair enough amount if you ask me. Plus it was also featured on semi-official releases a fair amount of times too, including Donington '07 and Ullevi '05, and two live takes from Donington '88 and Reading '82 were in the BBC Archives package too. I think that's enough many times for a non-staple.

Not that I'd be mad if they did throw it in, but I'm just saying, from my perspective I think releasing another live take of Wrathchild probably wouldn't be worth the effort at this point.

Iron Maiden live DVDs nowadays should be all in Latin America and you know why. Even plants are louder than the crowd in Wacken 2016.

But that crowd was still not as bad as the Rock Am Ring 2014 crowd, which was almost dead. Also Wacken wasn't a good show vocally.

Vocally, as in performance or the mix? It was raining and it was German festival audience, what did you expect :) They're not loco to begin with, and they get all these bands every year. Doesn't leave much space for insane crowd moments that South America gets.

Vocally, as in performance or the mix? It was raining and it was German festival audience, what did you expect :) They're not loco to begin with, and they get all these bands every year. Doesn't leave much space for insane crowd moments that South America gets.

Vocally mostly. The Berlin audience (I was there) was 10 times better. The SA shows were among the best with Munich - Ullevi 2016 run of shows (minus the Lucerne and Vienna shows where Bruce had a cold) being as good if not better.

The European run of shows where Bruce was vocally on fire:

Munich
Berlin
Lucerne - had cold
Vienna - had cold

Arnhem
Paris
Donington
Oslo
Gothenburg

I love this clip from Berlin. Bruce is very clear in this. He has that power and sharpness he rarely has these days.

In particular at 3:45 to 3:52

At 3:45 to 3:52, it's one of his specific vocal techniques. I've no idea what the technical name for it is, but it's less melodic, more harsh and growling, while giving an impression of powerful and highly stylised emphasis. As with the higher, dramatic Powerslave-type character voice he uses at 3:40, he might be switching styles regularly to avoid his voice breaking up and failing when he's singing relentless long passages in one style. IESF live is slightly too fast to me - I don't know if that is making life harder for Bruce because he can't engage his voice properly in the verses, or whether it's actually at his request for performance related reasons.

At 3:45 to 3:52, it's one of his specific vocal techniques. I've no idea what the technical name for it is, but it's less melodic, more harsh and growling, while giving an impression of powerful and highly stylised emphasis. As with the higher, dramatic Powerslave-type character voice he uses at 3:40, he might be switching styles regularly to avoid his voice breaking up and failing when he's singing relentless long passages in one style.

You're dead on. During that specific passage he's adding a lot more grit to his voice than usual, more similar to what he did during the early 90's. The technical term is "glottal compression" and this guy is real great at explaining it:
He even uses Run to the Hills as an example! Dio was an absolute master of glottal compression, especially as he got older.

As you said Brigs, he's definitely using it to break up singing styles so that he can keep up his stamina. Technically he's singing harder to do it, but because he's a professional he's able to lean into the technique and "spit" out the lyrics without having to hold big, melodic notes as he does for the majority of the set. Also, it sounds cool. B)

I suspected you'd know the technical side, Mr K! But I get the impression Bruce is a master of finding ways to keep the performance sounding polished...even if that means more 'scream for mes' and audience interaction, or adapting vocal melody for live versions of songs to make up for any shortcomings.

Bruce is a master of finding ways to keep the performance sounding polished...even if that means more 'scream for mes' and audience interaction, or adapting vocal melody for live versions of songs to make up for any shortcomings.
Sometimes, it works (chorus of "Heaven Can Wait" on A Real Live One), sometimes it doesn't (chorus of "No More Lies" on Death on the Road).

I wonder how reliable the source is on a live DVD because you would think there would be more on it on other metal news sites.

I think it's in the phase of getting the rights and permits to obtain and release the footage from certain concerts in 2016. Nothing more. Considering that there are 5(?) shows from which the footage will be used, I think that we may be getting another Flight 666 - type DVD with performances spanning from the SA shows all the way to the early European shows (until Scandinavia).

Something like:

IESF - Mexico City
SOL - San Salvador
COTD - Buenos Aires
TOAC - Rio De Janiero
TRATB - Sao Paulo
Trooper - New York
Powerslave - Tokyo
DOG - Sydney / Auckland
TBOS - Cape Town
HBTN - Berlin
FOTD - Arnhem
IM - Paris
--------------------
TNOTB - Donnington
BB - Ullevi
WY - Graspop

*Cities are just examples, although they are in order of the tour.

Ah, that could be a very good possibility. But with only having just the cameras for the video screens, can they release decent videos? Then again, didn't the have pretty much the same amount of cameras for Flight 666?

Ah, that could be a very good possibility. But with only having just the cameras for the video screens, can they release decent videos? Then again, didn't the have pretty much the same amount of cameras for Flight 666?

There might be a lot of video footage overlapping with audio from that particular show. I've never seen a Maiden DVD with footage from just one show. Even the Download pro shots from last year have Berlin footage mixed into them. Examples:

Rock In Rio: audio: Rio, video: Rio, Buenos Aires and another concert
DOTR: audio: Dortmund, video: at least one other concert (look for Dave's cream strat during Wrathchild and CIPWM).
Flight 666: Every song contains a bit of footage from India. Notable when Jan is playing his Alpine white Strat, because it had 3 black pickups on the India show and soon after the middle one was switched with white Hot Rails.
En Vivo: audio: Chile, video: Chile, Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo (the excited guy) and Florida (Dave's LP axcess during Wicker Man).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back