Iron Maiden 1st time in countries + the states (of America)

In Which U.S. state(s) have you seen Iron Maiden?

• Total voters
Can I nitpick about defunct states? The list would be more informative if it said Serbia(YU) 1981, Slovenia(YU) 1984, Croatia(YU) 1986. This way it would be clear when they visited respective states. I'm coming from an angle that someone might thing that Croat audience saw Maiden in 2003 for the first time, FWIW.
This made me look into it a bit better. I was always a bit confused on the opening of Behind the Iron Curtain, which I had on VHS. It listed PL, CZS, HUN and YU at the intro. Apart from YU not being behind the curtain and not a first visit for Maiden, which doesn't matter since it's a marketing name for central/eastern euro part of the tour, there is actually no footage, which was heavily disappointing for me. And today I realized that CZS was not included in the tour.

Map of countries based on the OP list. The generator counted 57 countries instead of 62 -- I could explain most of that due to Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland being part of "UK" and Yugoslavia breaking up, but couldn't figure out the explanation for the remaining 1 difference.

Future first-time country visit predictions? I'd nominate Thailand, Taiwan, Ukraine, and Malaysia if they ever do another Ed Force One megatour.

Attachments

• Maiden-countries.png
    Maiden-countries.png
    79.3 KB · Views: 11
Map of countries based on the OP list. The generator counted 57 countries instead of 62 -- I could explain most of that due to Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland being part of "UK" and Yugoslavia breaking up, but couldn't figure out the explanation for the remaining 1 difference.

Czechoslovakia.

I've only seen them locally here in California. I went to two shows.

Maiden England Tour - August 10, 2012 (Irvine)
Book of Souls Tour - April 16, 2016 (Inglewood)

Can I nitpick about defunct states? The list would be more informative if it said Serbia(YU) 1981, Slovenia(YU) 1984, Croatia(YU) 1986. This way it would be clear when they visited respective states. I'm coming from an angle that someone might thing that Croat audience saw Maiden in 2003 for the first time, FWIW.
This made me look into it a bit better. I was always a bit confused on the opening of Behind the Iron Curtain, which I had on VHS. It listed PL, CZS, HUN and YU at the intpo untro. Apart from YU not being behind the curtain and not a first visit for Maiden, which doesn't matter since it's a marketing name for central/eastern euro part of the tour, there is actually no footage, which was heavily disappointing for me. And today I realized that CZS was not included in the tour.
Hi @Zare sorry for not replying earlier. I missed this when you asked this, saw it months later and didn't get round to it. I want to respect your angle but I am afraid that what I am going to say might disappoint you. I wanted to make an overview of countries the way they existed (were visited) at that time. I want to keep that historical context. That time it was Yugoslavia, not Croatia or Serbia. That said, I just saw that Serbia is mentioned in the overview (in 1981) so I am going to remove that. 2003 was the first time Maiden visited Croatia since it existed as a country. Perhaps an overview of cities would give (a lot of) people a better idea what you want if they know in which countries they are now. In that overview I could mention cities, countries when visited then, and countries they are called now.

Last edited:
Thanks. Yeah it would even be better to remove "Serbia" from 1981.

I know, it seems crazy given the proximity between mainland UK and Ireland. One can only assume they were afraid of the bombs an shit!

I believe in those days it was also quite expensive to bring gear over on the ferries.

Hmmmm. Looking at the 1983 date, I found this:
http://maidenshows.ryasrealm.com/1983.htm

A little too suggestive perhaps ("Yeah, Maiden rescheduled the gig before the Luxembourg gig and the gig after the Luxembourg gig, so probably Luxembourg was not played at this planned date either").

However, unless this newspaper bases its info solely on the link above, it could strengthen your theory:
https://www.wort.lu/en/culture/luxe...-iron-maiden-tickets-5318232ae4b03e321374eea0

Still, I find it odd that Maiden themselves didn't make a point out of it. Usually they do when they visit a country for the first time. Bad memory or crappy administration, perhaps.
https://ironmaiden.com/tours/maiden-england-tour---2014

I wish we had some Luxembourg fan or any other source to confirm, just to be sure. Do you remember people on the official board about it?

Last edited:
Hmmmm. Looking at the 1983 date, I found this:
http://maidenshows.ryasrealm.com/1983.htm

A little too suggestive perhaps ("Yeah, Maiden rescheduled the gig before the Luxembourg gig and the gig after the Luxembourg gig, so probably Luxembourg was not played at this planned date either").

However, unless this newspaper bases its info solely on the link above, it could strengthen your theory:
https://www.wort.lu/en/culture/luxe...-iron-maiden-tickets-5318232ae4b03e321374eea0

Still, I find it odd that Maiden themselves didn't make a point out of it. Usually they do when they visit a country for the first time. Bad memory or crappy administration, perhaps.
https://ironmaiden.com/tours/maiden-england-tour---2014

I wish we had some Luxembourg fan or any other source to confirm, just to be sure. Do you remember people on the official board about it?

I would not be the first time Rod Smallwood has incorrect recollections of past events. What I remember being discussed back in 2014 on the official board was that this was indeed Iron Maiden's first visit to the country after the cancellation of the 1983 gig.

1981. Iron Maiden set foot on the ground in the Land of the Free, for the first time. As we know, 35 years have passed by and our favourite band still hits the U.S.
I made an overview of all the states Maiden have visited in chronological order. For the first time that is. Every time when a state is listed, it means that Maiden made their debut out there. Naturally, I am not listing all concerts, that's been done before. This is just a little filter, focusing on state and chronology.

Most states were covered for the first time in 1981 and 1982. Afterwards, "only" 8 more were done.

Maiden have played in 44 U.S. states. That automatically means, they have never played in 6. Which are these? Find out below! And fill in the poll, if you've ever been to (a) Maiden concert(s) in the States!

Iron Maiden: US states in visiting order:

01: 03 June 1981 Alladin Hotel Las Vegas Nevada
: 04 June 1981 Memorial Coliseum Phoenix Arizona
: 05 June 1981 County Museum El Paso Texas
: 14 June 1981 Harpo's Detroit Michigan
: 22 June 1981 Rock Stage Milwaukee Wisconsin
: 26 June 1981 Point East Lynwood Illinois
: 27 June 1981 Agora Theater Cleveland Ohio
: 28 June 1981 Capitol Center Largo Maryland
: 01 July 1981 Convention Hall Ashbury Park New Jersey
: 03 July 1981 Scope Norfolk Virginia
: 04 July 1981 Stanley Theater Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
: 07 July 1981 Civic Center Myrtle Beach South Carolina
: 09 July 1981 Fox Theater Atlanta Georgia
: 10 July 1981 Freedom Hall Johnson City Tennessee
: 16 July 1981 Shea's Theater Buffalo New York
: 25 July 1981 Coliseum New Haven Connecticut
: 28 July 1981 Orpheum Theater Boston Massachusetts
: 01 August 1981 Swing Auditorium San Bernadino California
19: 16 May 1982 Coliseum Fort Wayne Indiana
: 21 May 1982 Memorial Auditorium Louisville Kentucky
: 26 May 1982 Palmer College Alumni Auditorium Davenport Iowa
: 04 June 1982 Birmingham Alabama
: 09 June 1982 Tallahassee Florida
: 15 June 1982 Little Rock Arkansas
: 16 June 1982 Tulsa Oklahoma
: 18 June 1982 Shreveport Louisiana
: 09 July 1982 Saint Louis Missouri
: 14 July 1982 Salt Lake City Utah
: 16 July 1982 Hele Pavillion Seattle Washington
: 28 July 1982 Fargo North Dakota
: 30 July 1982 Minneapolis Minnesota
: 07 September 1982 Boise Idaho
: 11 September 1982 Portland Oregon
: 16 September 1982 Lincoln Nebraska
: 06 October 1982 Civic Center Portland Maine
: 07 October 1982 Civic Center Providence Rhode Island
: 21 June 1983 Events Center Casper Wyoming
: 13 July 1983 Tingley Coliseum Albuquerque New Mexico
: 14 July 1983 McNichols Arena Denver Colorado
: 10 October 1983 Civic Center Charleston West Virginia
: 20 October 1983 Coliseum Charlotte North Carolina
: 24 February 1985 Coast Coliseum Biloxi Mississippi
: 31 March 1985 NBC Arena Honolulu Hawaii
: 04 February 1987 Civic Center Wichita Kansas

Never performed in:
Alaska (attempted for Brave New World Tour: Sullivan Arena, Anchorage, 18 September 2000: cancelled)

Delaware
Montana
New Hampshire

South Dakota (attempted for No Prayer on the Road Tour: Arena, Sioux Falls, 28 February 1991: cancelled)
Vermont
Wow. It still needs to happen first, of course, but I just noticed that Maiden, for the first time since 1987, thirty-five(!) years ago, are going to debut in a new U.S. state again!

It is South Dakota. Maiden tried to go there in 1991, but it didn't happen (see above/open quote).

Mon 3 October 2022: Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
Denny Sanford Premier Center

PLUS:

A new country! For the first time, Maiden will play in the Ukraine!
Sun 29 May, Kyiv, UKRAINE
VDNG

Last edited:
Wow. It still needs to happen first, of course, but I just noticed that Maiden, for the first time since 1987, thirty-five(!) years ago, are going to debut in a new U.S. state again!

It is South Dakota. Maiden tried to go there in 1991, but it didn't happen (see above/open quote).

Mon 3 October 2022: Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
Denny Sanford Premier Center
I wonder, at this point, how many US states they haven't played in?

It's in the quote. And first post.

At the moment 6:

Never performed in:
Alaska (attempted for Brave New World Tour: Sullivan Arena, Anchorage, 18 September 2000: cancelled)
Delaware
Montana
New Hampshire

South Dakota (attempted for No Prayer on the Road Tour: Arena, Sioux Falls, 28 February 1991: cancelled)
Vermont

But can be 5 next year, if SD happens.

It's in the quote. And first post.

At the moment 6:

Never performed in:
Delaware
Montana
New Hampshire

Vermont

But can be 5 next year, if SD happens.
Next time I'll actually read before posting :facepalm:

Back