Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

15. Maiden will team up with Utah-based acoustic quartet The Piano Guys to perform Empire of the Clouds live on The Royal Variety Performance. This will officially end the RVP for all time as no-one will want to follow it, ever ...
16. Janick will unveil an orchestral project, a homage to Jon Lord. It will be longer than the Ring Cycle.
17. Adrian will release a folk album and will embark on a short tour of the UK folk festivals.
18. Dave will be revealed to be the band's true mastermind, who only keeps Steve as a puppet figurehead to save him the inconvenience of having to do interviews.

Adrian's already got the outfit though:-
Adrian-Smith2.gif

Just substitute an accordian for the large fish and Bob's yer uncle ...
:lol:

According to calculation, 100.000 posts (or replies, which is 100.001 posts!) will be reached in 127 days, if the number of remaining posts takes the same amount of time as the last 2539 posts.

That's 24 December 2017. Christmas Eve?

Last edited:
I just found three pictures of a tour I'd done early this year online on a page from my university. My first thought was, "hey cool!", then I read the page and saw that my name wasn't mentioned anywhere. Indeed, the tour wasn't even acknowledged anywhere, only a brief sentence that the group they were talking about had visited the museum the day before. Instead, the research group of the university (which I'm not associated with), took all the credit for the exhibition, which was actually pretty shitty. I tried my best to make do with the mess they did and still provide valuable and accurate content. Turns out I did it for nothing. And this made me think... I worked in the museum for six years, and guided a pretty big number of small and major exhibitions. Three of them got large media attention as they were considered topical and prolific. There is no documentation that I guided those, and no public evidence of my work there. In fact, the entire evidence of my work for the museum amounts to a total of eight photographs online, unspecific credits in two publications, and a five minutes in a radio show that will be offline in half a year.
I can provide evidence for my work in a few contracts, and I'm sure the museum can confirm on request, but still, given the amount of time and effort I put into it, I don't only feel underappreciated, but actually a bit screwed. With a pay this shitty, you'd think that you would at least get some immaterial acknowledgement, some sort of badge that helps you with your career, but no. And they wonder why people turn their back on cultural institutions and become sales reps instead...

I'd ask for acknowledgment now, before it's all forgotten. It could be good to have for future career purposes. Plus, some employers like to pretend that staff who've left never existed. It's easier than having to answer questions about why a good member of staff left.

I'd ask for acknowledgment now, before it's all forgotten. It could be good to have for future career purposes. Plus, some employers like to pretend that staff who've left never existed. It's easier than having to answer questions about why a good member of staff left.

It doesn't work like that. I was an external contractor, not a staff member. There was never any spot for us on the museum's website, for instance, except for when they hired refugee guides for another program. I don't even know what kind of acknowledgement I could ask them for, it's just not part of the system.

Any evidence you could put together yourself? I would hate to lose any record of something I'd been involved in like that. Maybe contact individuals who were overseeing the work and ask if they would provide a reference for your future career?

I am not a member/user myself but LinkedIn ? I noticed how people put up all kinds of work there. External or not. Experience and work is still experience and work. Individuals can recommend or "review/praise" other individuals.

I'm not concerned with not getting the references I need should I ever look for another opportunity. I'm at Linkedin, and I'm connected to my colleagues there. I also have evidence of my work. I can get the references. I'm concerned with not getting a fucking "thank you" for the service I provided, for representing their museum and their educational concepts to the public, into which I put great effort while struggling to make ends meet. I'm concerned with the fact that it happened that somebody can put up a picture of me doing my job without providing my name. Possibly this would change if I wrote them an email, but that's not the point - the point is that it happened. The point is that I provided them with my time, my knowledge, my energy and my good will, and in their eyes, I could have been anyone. If it were a faceless multinational corporation where you're just a guy in a cubicle, that's to be expected. If you're doing work that is supposed to be of value that goes beyond reallocating money in whatever way, it's just something different.

Last edited:
I see where you're coming from. The feeling of doing a lot, sometimes more than is expected of you, and feel that it goes completely unnoticed, that's not a good feeling.

I must say, I think the place I work is quite good in that respect. Managers and others with leading responsibilities are encouraged to give credit when people do good work, and they do so. This is an important ingredient to create an environment where work isn't seen as just a burden you take on because you need the money.

I must say, I think the place I work is quite good in that respect. Managers and others with leading responsibilities are encouraged to give credit when people do good work, and they do so. This is an important ingredient to create an environment where work isn't seen as just a burden you take on because you need the money.
Do you have formal assessment or appraisals too?

Oh yes, there's a yearly cycle with both self-assessment and "performance and development appraisal". So if your manager really hates you he can just save up all the hell he wants to give you, and give it to you in a two-hour meeting.

Back