Singles, classics, and the focus of set lists

There's loads like that, Where Eagles Dare has a promo for instance. Rime of the Ancient Mariner even has a promo from South Africa I think. I believe Cross Eyed Mary even got a bit of airplay in the States.
Is there a definitive list of promos anywhere? I'd be curious to know how many promo singles were never played live.

https://maidenargus.blogspot.ie/

this is the best site for anything to do with maiden collectibles that I know of. It also has accurate data on the value of items as he gets an average price from watching multiples sales of the item.

As to whether it's definitive or not, I suspect there will always be things unearthed that people had previously been unaware that they had ever existed.

You forgot it was played all through 1984 & 1985 on the Slavery tour also.

You forgot about Bring Your Daughter.
Played in 2003.

you are correct. I did forget about it on the World Slavery Tour.... Bring your daughter I had to go back and check because I knew it wasn't played in the states... It was played in Europe though.... sorry I goofed on that... I missed 2 tours between 2003 and 2004... :(

Apart from "Out of the Silent Planet" (it was tried out but later in the tour on 3-4 occasions only). I wonder why, by the way?

If I remember correctly, the band wanted to release Brave New World as a single off the album, but EMI chose Out of the Silent Planet instead, much to everyone's surprise, as the song had not been played live before the single was released.

I'd say he ordered it from the FC. I stand to be corrected on this, but my memory is that it had originally been intended to have a proper release on 7 inch and 2 CD's., there was ad's for it in Metal Hammer, and the 7 inch was supposed to have the "futuristic Powerslave" Riggs cover, but it was deemed their wasn't enough demand for it to be released properly so it was only released on 1 CD through the fan club.

And I was lucky enough to get a copy signed by the band 2 years later when I experienced some problems with the Fan Club and got a bag of goodies as a compensation. :lol:

I was similarly lucky when buying stuff on ebay. I bought the EMI 100 anniversary edition of TNOTB lp on ebay. I noticed that the sellers name was Steve Lazarus so I chanced my arm and asked him if he had a copy of the first album as well. He said it just so happened he did and it was signed by Steve, Dave, Adrian and Bruce and he'd sell it to me for the same price as I paid for the NOTB lp.

I always get a good laugh that the first album is signed by Adrian and Bruce. It's like in the Simpsons when Comic book guy has a photo of Sean Connery signed by Roger Moore.

I always get a good laugh that the first album is signed by Adrian and Bruce. It's like in the Simpsons when Comic book guy has a photo of Sean Connery signed by Roger Moore.

Nice reference! :) However, I feel pretty sad that one has to sell records that have been autographed to THEM in the first place, or even worse, getting the autographs on a record that they know will be sold afterwards.

Last edited:
I was similarly lucky when buying stuff on ebay. I bought the EMI 100 anniversary edition of TNOTB lp on ebay. I noticed that the sellers name was Steve Lazarus so I chanced my arm and asked him if he had a copy of the first album as well. He said it just so happened he did and it was signed by Steve, Dave, Adrian and Bruce and he'd sell it to me for the same price as I paid for the NOTB lp.

Fantastic story mate.

My claim to fame on ebay is having sold some albums to Hugh Gilmour (http://www.gilmourdesign.co.uk/), the talented guy responsible for the design of most of Bruce's solo albums and some Psycho Motel and Iron Maiden stuff too. Nice guy.

That's awesome! 90 songs is unreal, My mind would be blown if Maiden did that.
Thought you would like this @soundwave
From a recent interview with singer Peter Garrett:
http://montrealgazette.com/entertai...peter-garrett-on-the-bands-vital-reunion-tour

MG: That idea of just playing and playing and playing — is that part of the reason why so much of the catalogue is being performed on this tour? I saw the Toronto and New York shows in May, and I think maybe five songs were repeated between the two New York concerts, which shocked and delighted me. You don’t see that very often.

PG: No, and thank you. I think we can learn from our forebears who switch songs and have kept interested and with it, just as much as you can see people you like who pretty much stay with the same core set and play it night in and night out, and after a while it just feels like it’s on automatic. From a musician’s point of view, you’ve really got to make that call: are you an entertainer first and a musician second, or are you a musician first and an entertainer second? And we’re musicians first. So that was very important. We knew that’s what we wanted to do. And it’s a balance thing. But I just think it makes a huge difference to the night, because you’ve got to think about what you’re doing. Even if you’re not thinking about it in an analytical sense, you’re not on automatic pilot. And it’s been huge fun to bring these songs out, and if they stand up — and most of them have stood up really well — then it’s even better.

Thought you would like this @soundwave
From a recent interview with singer Peter Garrett:
http://montrealgazette.com/entertai...peter-garrett-on-the-bands-vital-reunion-tour

MG: That idea of just playing and playing and playing — is that part of the reason why so much of the catalogue is being performed on this tour? I saw the Toronto and New York shows in May, and I think maybe five songs were repeated between the two New York concerts, which shocked and delighted me. You don’t see that very often.

PG: No, and thank you. I think we can learn from our forebears who switch songs and have kept interested and with it, just as much as you can see people you like who pretty much stay with the same core set and play it night in and night out, and after a while it just feels like it’s on automatic. From a musician’s point of view, you’ve really got to make that call: are you an entertainer first and a musician second, or are you a musician first and an entertainer second? And we’re musicians first. So that was very important. We knew that’s what we wanted to do. And it’s a balance thing. But I just think it makes a huge difference to the night, because you’ve got to think about what you’re doing. Even if you’re not thinking about it in an analytical sense, you’re not on automatic pilot. And it’s been huge fun to bring these songs out, and if they stand up — and most of them have stood up really well — then it’s even better.
Thanks for sharing. I would love it if more bands adopted this attitude.

Doh I figured that out :D Are Pilgrim and FTGGOG album versions?

It's still a bit awkward that we didn't get some official AMOLAD full live. The Globen show is great because it's the only soundboard available, objectively for the soundboard it's not that good, guitars are muffled and drums sound like shit in the mix.

Yeah, I really hope they're holding on to a great AMOLAD live recording for a future compilation/box set release. I'm still mad that I missed that show and I'd hate to see it get erased from the history books.

There is a date, since then Maiden outputs all soundboard to storage. I hope they use proper media and have a good backup procedure, and that the date is a bit earlier than what I recall, which was the SBiT tour...

There is a date, since then Maiden outputs all soundboard to storage. I hope they use proper media and have a good backup procedure, and that the date is a bit earlier than what I recall, which was the SBiT tour...
We can safely assume that they have been doing it at least since the Dance of Death tour, since a technician clearly evokes this practice of theirs in the documentary of Death on the Road.

Back