Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
and Bruce once did a one-off performance of Be Quick or be Dead somewhere (I think @Forostar posted a video of that), so that's another possibility. That's already nine songs, so that may leave room for one or two deep cuts or just a few more classics.
Yeah, some Brazilian band (Tribuzy) had Roy Z and Bruce on their debut album in 2005, and both were invited to guest at a concert as well. This was one of the songs they did.

Last edited:
Heaven Can wait
Heaven can wait
Heaven can wait
Heaven can wait for another day

(repeat)

although, some of Harris' epics have great somewhat repetitive chorus
Paschendale!
Home, Far away, From the War, a chance to live again!

although I'm inclined to believe Adrian wrote the chorus....

I feel Harris does it intentionally since he stated when they write music, they factor how it will work live... repetitive choruses are easier to sing along too....
I do think some of their recent tracks are unnecessarily over long due to repetitive choruses. They seem to have ditched the 3-4 minute romps.

The best substance I have found so far to assume that there would be a tour next year are the statements by Trooper VIP staff that events are scheduled for next year. It sounds likely to me that this could be a source of a leak. So that leads me to speculate about what a tour could look like.

Bruce has made it very clear in his onstage rants this year that whatever will happen, it would not be another Book of Souls leg. Of course, onstage rants are always to be taken with a grain of salt, but he said the same thing on every gig, and I remember how he started talking about pyramids in the 2007 shows. The persisting rumour is that it would be a Legacy of the Beast themed tour. I'm not going to deny that possibility, but based on the observation of the last ten years, I'm a bit skeptical. Ever since 2006/2007, there has not been a one-off theme for a tour. Every theme was used for at least two years, despite setlist changes and venue type (indoor/outdoor/festival). So whatever the stage design, for instance, if we see it in 2018, chances are high that it will be carried over to 2019. It's just the economy of their touring these days. I don't think Legacy of the Beast would sustain that sort of tour, it's already a year old and it would make no sense to promote a video game from 2016 in 2019. Or even 2018, for that matter.

There's also most likely not going to be another history tour in the sense of The Early Days, Somewhere Back in Time and Maiden England. The most logical next step would be to release Live at Donington as a DVD, perhaps with the History section covering the whole nineties, but I doubt it would become the base of a tour. I would love to see it, but there's just not enough commercial appeal from a strict business viewpoint, no matter what the chart positions in the early nineties were. Kids today don't remember Tailgunner or From Here to Eternity, and Iron Maiden inc. won't risk it.

I could see another TFF scenario, though. Maiden might record a new album for a September/October 2018 release and do a summer tour the way they did in 2003 and 2010. Maybe, just maybe, this would use some sort of Legacy of the Beast theme, but I doubt it. They might plug it somewhere, like they plugged the Trooper beers. Now, one can dream and hope Maiden would be as bold as they were in 2010 and play a nineties set for the summer tour. There are a few songs I could see them doing: Afraid to Shoot Strangers, Bring Your Daughter... ... to the Slaughter, Sign of the Cross, The Clansman, Lord of the Flies, Man on the Edge and Futureal, as all these have been played since 1999; Tailgunner would be another good bet, and Bruce once did a one-off performance of Be Quick or be Dead somewhere (I think @Forostar posted a video of that), so that's another possibility. That's already nine songs, so that may leave room for one or two deep cuts or just a few more classics.

So that's what I would speculate on based on observation, but Maiden have surprised me often enough in the past, and I'm not going expect anything. They might, indeed, do something unique or surprising - who knows?
Let's keep our fingers crossed. My worry is that a legacy of the Beast tour is going to include the usual set list regulars plus tracks covered in last few history tours. I'd love a 90s set list with some tracks off the early reunion era albums. The from here to Eternity best of album I thought was amazing. There are so many more potential classics if they dusted them down from time to time.

Annoying repetition takes more than just having some lyrics repeated. How long does one repeated segment take? How long is the length of all these repeated segments altogether? It's also about the music. How much does the melody / music change, while lines get repeated etc. etc. The instrumental part (plus the chorus) in The Red and the Black is probably the longest piece of unchanging music in a song in the whole catalogue. To be precise:
The 4.58 - 9.09 part: the least diverse section in the history of Iron Maiden. Compared to this, the choruses in many eighties songs sound as repetitive as much as Dennis Willcock sounds able to sing Prowler well (these days at least): nope.

With Afraid To Shoot Strangers making a return on the Maiden England tour, I'll bet anything that we'll see a couple more 90's songs next year if Maiden does another non-album tour. Hell, they could throw some in on the next album tour.

Bring Your Daughter, Lord of the Flies or The Clansman in that case. I don't think they will have the patience to relearn Sign of the Cross after 17 years.

The most logical next step would be to release Live at Donington as a DVD, perhaps with the History section covering the whole nineties, but I doubt it would become the base of a tour.
I would like to see 'Live at Donington' released on DVD, but they can't release it until the Beckett lawsuit has been resolved favourably. We are due another Maiden DVD of course and they have released one from three of the last four albums (Donington 2007 wasn't released because flags obscured a lot of the footage). If we get a Book of Souls world tour DVD soon then it'll have to be from this year's tour.

Well the LAD 92 video was completely unwatchable so unless its re-edited somehow I never want to see it again.

Raising Hell is the only alternative from that time period, but the performance was pretty lifeless due to Bruce not wanting to be there...

Repetitive choruses were present in the 80s (Somewhere in Time features some), so it is not a recent thing...

Not sure why Maiden fans have such a chip on their shoulder about repetitive choruses. That's the entire point of choruses. They repeat. Every band in the world has them.

The instrumental part (plus the chorus) in The Red and the Black is probably the longest piece of unchanging music in a song in the whole catalogue. To be precise:
The 4.58 - 9.09 part: the least diverse section in the history of Iron Maiden.

Bizarre. do you honestly think there's no changes there? It's up to it's bollix in changes.

Not sure why Maiden fans have such a chip on their shoulder about repetitive choruses. That's the entire point of choruses. They repeat. Every band in the world has them.

There are repetitive choruses (nothing wrong with them per se) and then there is something like The Angel and the Gambler... :lol:

I think Foro is the only person who is particularly upset by them. :p

I would like to see 'Live at Donington' released on DVD, but they can't release it until the Beckett lawsuit has been resolved favourably.

Of course they can, they've released a few live albums with it on it last week

There are repetitive choruses (nothing wrong with them per se) and then there is something like The Angel and the Gambler... :lol:

I honestly think the angel and the gambler has created a mental problem for maiden fans, I doubt anyone paid any attention to the choruses before it.

I'd assume this is some of the footage used to "create" Live at Donington. With any luck, Maiden has the whole show (without the irritating slow-mo/B&W bits) lying around somewhere
It is indeed "relaxing", compared to the Live At Donington version, but I think there are too many close-ups, which doesn't render the hugeness of the concert (a bit like the Whitesnake DVD at the same place).

I love Hallowed from that show, but solely for a single reason: they played it ridiculously fast and I think it sounds goofy yet funny that way. Otherwise (speaking personally ofc) it didn't particularly feel very impressive.

e: Re: 2018 tour rumors, would it be really selfish of me to admit I'd like them to do a Legacy of the Beast thing if it's in the style of GMETID or the 2010 TFF leg? I dunno, I wouldn't mind seeing some semi-rare stuff with maybe a new single thrown in live.

Hell, I'd take even a setlist composed of the usual suspects since I've literally never managed to see this band live somehow (and not for a lack of trying, either).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back