Wasted Years

How good is Wasted Years on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
The song that fully got me into Maiden. The riff I learnt first, when I picked up guitar. The song, that has one of the trickiest licks in the solo. The song that also persuaded some of my friends to check Maiden out. The song, that nobody disliked, when I played it to them yet.

The song.
H's song.
A masterpiece.
10/10

One of the first songs I ever heard by them, also among their most accessible ones. The lyrics could be the weakest part, but I still think they're pretty emotional, or maybe I think that because the first time I heard it I was already crying by the third minute and throughout the solo because the instrumental parts of the song are so good it's ridiculous.

10/10

An instantly memorable guitar intro by Mister Smith kicks off this fabulous composition. Though not as good as some of Maiden's extended epics ("Hallowed Be Thy Name", "Rime of the Ancient Mariner") or even some of their shorter songs ("Children of the Damned", "Still Life"), it's good enough to stand out on its own. This is classic Maiden going "poppy", and they pull it off very well, managing to keep their classic style while sounding completely different, all at the same time. It is most certainly the best single choice they've ever made, and one of the best songs (long or short) they've ever released. Such an uplifting chorus and optimistic lyrics! Gets me going every fucking time. 9.

It’s not easy to rate this song properly. On the one hand it’s a damn incredible song. On the other hand, it’s kinda poppy for them, even though it’s most definitely their best “pop” song. I’ll give them this one, judging solely on the song itself, it’s a 10/10. Good job Adrian

There's a lot of good stuff in this song, like the intro and the solo, but in the end its too poppy in the wrong way, for me, doesn't really feel maiden. With the nostalgic lyrics it would have had a better place at the end of the record instead. When I'm in the right mood I can really appreciate it though.

This has been one of my favorite Maiden songs for years now. Perfect. The riff is godly. 10/10.

That descending lead from "Losfer Words" returns, but now it's leaner, meaner, and so very epic. After some percussive accents and a descending bass fill, the song breaks into a catchy midtempo verse with some great singing from Bruce. This breaks into a fantastic, impossibly catchy chorus with great backing vocals from Adrian.

Another round of great verse and awesome chorus, and a reprise of the opening lead breaks into an extended interlude with nice bass fills before morphing into an absolutely face-melting solo that bleeds back into that amazing chorus. Another reprise of the opening lead carries into a brief musical breakdown to end the song.

This is about as mainstream as Maiden ever went, but they did it without losing their edge. Everything about this song is excellent. 10/10.

An incredibly phenomenal riff opens up a pretty fucking great song about taking hold of what you've got while you've got it. Adrian proves that he's a great songwriter here and leaves his mark throughout. There's little wonder it's one of the few played tracks from the album. At one point it was my second favorite Maiden song overall, and while it's not at that spot anymore, it still remains a classic in my mind. 10

Eternal classic! The magic of Adrian Smith! ''Futuristic'' intro starts this golden gem, superb riff, great drumming, fantastic verses and the chorus is magnificent (one of Maiden's best). Awesome lyrics (the chorus lyrics is with a great message). The solo is brutally good - one of Adrian's best for sure. Love the building up end to the song. Very meaningful song. One of their best! Is there any other acceptable rating except -> 10/10.

Curious fact: the original working title for the song was ''Golden Years''.

Last edited:
That's interesting, I wasn't aware of there being anymore than 1.
Theres the version we have now thats a black and white video with pictures, theres the original video clip thats just black and white and theres the video from the 90s that has double pictures if Eddie tiled like stereoscopic 3d and videos from Donington 1992 I think. I dont know if the later is an actual video clip or just an ident my Mtv

Hi, I've reopened this song for voting, after resetting the votes.

Please add your vote for this song and consider the following tips:

• Try to be consistent across the Iron Maiden catalogue. Don't vote based on the place on the album, but the place in the overall catalogue.
  • 1 should be the worst Iron Maiden songs, 10 should be the best. You can have lots of 10s and 1s as you see fit.
  • Don't vote based on other people's votes. IE, if you think a song is overrated, don't give it a 1 or 2 just because you think it's getting "too high" of votes.

The Ed Hunter is the only tour in which Adrian finishes the solo of ''Wasted Years'' with the lick along with Bruce's vocals like it is in the studio version.

A live version of the song from 1999 can be found in OOTSP single - fantastic production and performance (both are one of Maiden's best for sure).

Theres the version we have now thats a black and white video with pictures, theres the original video clip thats just black and white and theres the video from the 90s that has double pictures if Eddie tiled like stereoscopic 3d and videos from Donington 1992 I think. I dont know if the later is an actual video clip or just an ident my Mtv
AFAIK there is one official version. I'm curious about the latter, but the former is a recording reel of the official version without the montage.

Back