Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Got attacked by a stray dog on the street just above where I live. Motherfucker attacks me whenever I pass by, this was the 4th time it happened.

There's an abundance of stray dogs in my neighborhood, but this one is the only aggressive one.

Microsoft has announced that Paint will be laid to rest with the next update. So here is one to the Paint app, that I found on the internet.
2013ironmaidenpaint040313-1.jpg

Yeah, it's a swine to learn to use. I used to have a great one I got free with a scanner, but it's long since lost.

So today at the local library I found a book called The Rough Guide to Rock, but I'm starting to think it should be called 'The Shit Guide to Rock' given this...

IRON MAIDEN

Formed London, 1976.

Originally leaders of the so-called 'New Wave of British Heavy Metal', and now recognized as one of the all-time greats of the genre, Iron Maiden were formed by Steve Harris (bass), Dave Murray (lead guitar), Paul Di'anno (vocals), Doug Sampson (drums), and were named after a medieval instrument of torture.
Iron Maiden's sound was an unprecedentedly heavy mix of screeching guitar, barked vocals and frequent time changes, owing much to influences such as Deep Purple and Black Sabbath, but also to punk. Although Harris later claimed that the band was formed to keep metal alive in the face of the onslaught of bands like the Pistols and The Clash, the debt was clear: the speed and energy of performances was similar, while Di'anno even looked like a punk (he had short hair and wore leathers and studded wristbands). Heavy metal had never been this aggressive.
The band worked up a fanatical following in London, with their set including such early eardrum-puncturing offerings as "Sanctuary", "Charlotte The Harlot", "Running Free", "Prowler", and "Iron Maiden", plus the occasion crowd-pleasing cover like Montrose's "I've Got The Fire". Despite a lyrical inadequacy - respect for women was, notably, not a strong suit - the sheer power and volume of their delivery was a revelation.
In established punk fashion, Iron Maiden's debut EP, THE SOUNDHOUSE TAPES (1979), was released on their own label, and distributed via mail order, in the absence of major-label interest. Consisting of demo versions of "Prowler", "Iron Maiden", and "Invasion", it became a hit at the growing network of British heavy metal clubs. Its cult success, along with the band's increasing following, led to a deal with EMI.
The band's debut single, the pounding "Running Free" (1980), broke the UK Top 40, and when they refused to mime the song for TV show Top Of The Pops they became the first band to play live on the show since The Who some seven years earlier. Their debut LP, IRON MAIDEN (1980), shot into the British Top 5, but while it included all their early live anthems, it was marred by an overtly 'clean' production. The biker anthem and second single "Sanctuary" also hit the charts, and caused some controversy when its sleeve, depicting band mascot Eddie knifing Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, was censored and modified. At some point in 1980, the band was joined by Adrian Smith who was 'regarded as one of the best guitarists in the metal genre with his melodic solos and stunning songwriting'. He stayed till 1990.
A number of duff singles followed - "Women In Uniform", "Twilight Zone", "Purgatory" - plus a rushed second album, KILLERS (1981), a half-live, half-studio album with four new tracks. Nevertheless, even with numerous personnel changes involving various rhythm guitarists, and the hiring of new drummer Clive Burr, Iron Maiden had already become a huge live draw across the world.
They only really started losing their way when Di'anno left in 1981. He was replaced by the far less street-credible Bruce Dickinson, an affable product of public-school education and army training. His lyrics were thankfully less sexist, but concentrated on the equally traditional heavy metal obsessions of myth, legend and the occult, which probably helped their rise in the US.
The story hereafter was one of consistent commercial success, and vast stadium and festival gigs. Their first of many UK Top 10 singles came with "Run To The Hills" (1982), which became an MTV video favorite, while the very patchy album THE NUMBER OF THE BEAST (1982) hit #1 in Britain. For PIECE OF MIND (1983) a platinum-seller in the States, Burr was replaced by ex-Trust drummer Nicko McBrain.
POWERSLAVE (1984), another massive seller, was promoted by the 200-date 'World Slavery Tour'. Highlights were collected for the double album, LIVE AFTER DEATH (1985). Some were surprised by the melodic, synthesized approach on 1986's SOMEWHERE IN TIME, but the dismal concept album SEVENTH SON OF A SEVENTH SON (1988) was to revitalize their chart profile - especially in the UK, where it hit #1, and spawned four consecutive Top 10 singles. This incredible track record, making Maiden one of the all-time top-selling rock acts, hid the fact that, post-Di'anno, little of their original creative spark remained.
In the early 90s, EMI, well aware of their enormous fan base, repackaged all of Maiden's prvious singles across ten mini-album, while the decision to repackage the 1991 single "Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter" in several limited formats rewarded band and label with a UK #1 single. It was featured on the 'back to metal roots' album NO PRAYER FOR THE DYING (1990), which did at least boast some intelligent songs tackling subjects such as AIDS and big-business corruption.
Guitarist Janick Gers joined the band to co-write the hit single, "Be Quick Or Be Dead", and to perform on the highly polished FEAR OF THE DARK album (1992). This was Dickinson's final album with Iron Maiden, and he left amicably to pursue a solo career, which had begun in 1990 with TATTOOED MILLIONAIRE. His replacement was former Wolfsbane mainman Blaze Bayley.
"Man On The Edge" was an impressively hard single by the new line-up, and the chart success of the 1995 album THE X-FACTOR proved that the band's appeal was not on the wane. The follow-up, VIRTUA XI (1998) pressed all the right buttons and was a respectably heavy slab of British metal. However, they were now in fierce competition with countless younger bands, mostly exploring speed; and thrash-metal genres. Whether their traditional style can survive this diversification is uncertain, but their past successes suggest they'll come through.
  • Iron Maiden (1980; EMI/Harvest). Their first and best album from the Di'anno period, and consequently the best of their career.
  • No Prayer For The Dying (1990; EMI/Capitol). The outstanding LP of the Dickinson era.
Roger Sabin

As a side note, this was published in 1999, so it's definitely a dated write-up, but damn. Bias, anyone?

For my birthday present today I got the VIP upgrade for Megadeth. I'll get to meet the band and get a whole bunch of signed stuff. I also get to watch part of the show from the side of the stage. Puts Iron Maidens trooper VIP upgrade to shame. I Can't wait for September!!!

I'll get to meet the band and get a whole bunch of signed stuff.

If you meet Dave, tell him Hillary paid an Iraqi refugee to put a deadly dose of aspartame in Trump's water during the electoral campaign. See if he mentions it onstage.

For my birthday present today I got the VIP upgrade for Megadeth. I'll get to meet the band and get a whole bunch of signed stuff. I also get to watch part of the show from the side of the stage. Puts Iron Maidens trooper VIP upgrade to shame. I Can't wait for September!!!
Awesome present, dude! Hope it's as good as advertised!

As for me, I won our "champion" award for Q2, which is a big big deal here. Fun times await! And a free thousand bucks.

Back