USA Politics

You don't trust the media? Ok... What about those right-wing lunatic sites you've been linking here, doing it for the laughs then? Well I knew you were trolling us all along, good job.

P.S. 'Russian narrative' is bullshit but so is Donald J. Trump. What you see here is the bane of US politics, it's liberal camp creating narratives, inflating mice into elephants and straight up lying to the public, just to diss Trump who is an incompetent lying idiot himself, and an easy target even without shenanigans. Just look at how EU politicians are handling him, they don't need constructs and lies to roast him.
It's a lot harder for Trump to dismiss logical arguments of the establishment in Europe when he can't claim to be the voice of the people of Europe. I get the impression that what he (supposedly) stands for outweighs his flaws in the eyes of his supporters.

I wanted to point out what I think is the flaw in Travis's reasoning, with a humorous twist. No harm intended. Lunacy referring to authors of the sites, not him.
Brigs, he is a true personality cult. Trump. Possibly first for the U.S.A. There's some entrenched hatred for the 'big government' there and somehow Trump is seen as anti-that.

Net neutrality is seen, from this camp, as a 'big govt' attempt to meddle in business affairs (of the ISPs). We will disregard the fact that big gov't paid 300 billion to ISPs as aid to build 21st century infrastructure, and ISPs took the money and did nothing. The thing is...most of the ISP cake is owned by those with "libtard left" media houses, so guess what redneck, no Fox News or Breitbart for you. It is so appalling that this sort of advocacy turned a critical mass in the right wing camp, and now we have extensive pressure to preserve net neutrality. If Comcast owned Fox and not MSNBC, they wouldn't give a fuck.

Edit : just to give some context, POTUS appoints several FCC members and others come from the commercial sector, e.g. they are service provider representatives. No net neutrality means that you have a speed limit of 80mph if you're going to McDonalds but only 5mph if you went Burger King. If POTUS agrees on such principles, he wants to influence and limit public access to certain media, and that's just wrong. This would all be moot, if internet was classified as a telecom in USA, but it's actually classified as a fucking newspaper. If this isn't 1984 or Big Goverment at act, then I don't know what is...You have people sitting in that commission for ages, blocking every reform that would bring U.S. Internet to normal legislature, just waiting for the right POTUS to put three or four asslickers over there that'll vote in accordance and make U.S. part of the net their little own corporate network. They'll decide what you see, read and hear. Access to other data won't be impossible - just a bit tough, just like listening to Radio Free Europe in 1968 Prague.

Last edited by a moderator:
What was the ruling, 5-4 for striking down?

Overall, I agree with it not being illegal. I also agree that the name of the Washington team is probably really offensive to some people, and they should certainly consider changing it.

Bang go Edmonton

somehow Trump is seen as anti-that.
... which illustrates well just how deep the trenches have become. Trump is doing a lot of exactly what politicians are otherwise criticized for - lies and nepotism.

On a different note: When he says "we'll see" about different big questions - and he does that a lot, e.g. today about the US stance on the Paris agreement - is it because he actually can't make up his mind, or does he want everyone he has to deal with to be uncertain of his intentions?

You don't trust the media? Ok... What about those right-wing lunatic sites you've been linking here, doing it for the laughs then? Well I knew you were trolling us all along, good job.
Like I've explained, the reason I link those sites is because I feel they are telling the real news that the evil, corrupt media hides. And I know all of you are not on the same page as me and I really should stay out of this thread, but for some reason, I keep coming back for more. I'm not doing it to troll though. I just like to give a different view on things.

However, I do have what I think is a pretty official source with quite a few articles on net neutrality: https://www.dslreports.com/

And thank you Per.

There are methods to validate news, and they don't include feelings. But alas.
Dslreports should be good, Electronic Frontier Foundation has every document you need on this.

That is sad news. There was a lot of speculation that something was wrong with him after the Comey testimony.

McCain served honorably in the military 50 years ago (despite some really nasty false rumors spread about his record during the 2008 campaign, which were probably started by people still mad about the Swift Boat Vets four years prior), and went through a horrific experience as a POW. He's still worthy of respect for that.

But then he went into politics, and had a record most charitably described as "mixed." I disagreed with him more than I agreed with him, and disliked him as a politician more than I liked him.

But crowing over his impending death because of politics, like I've seen a few people do on Twitter & elsewhere, is sick. I wish he had retired from the Senate decades ago; not gone out like this. This type of cancer is terrible; it killed one of my father's best friends a few years back. Within a couple months he went from the friend we always knew to a near-catatonic shell of his former self. I saw him near the end, and I'll never forget it.

Back