Full albums live?

It did seem like a fad after Maiden did it in 2006, but Metallica definitely did it with 'Master of Puppets' the same year too.
Didn't realize Metallica did it that year, but they were probably the trendsetters in that case.

Didn't realize Metallica did it that year, but they were probably the trendsetters in that case.
It was one of their Escape From the Studio tours i.e. Metallica are crap at writing albums so they do what they do best instead.

I've said it before but I wouldn't criticize them for retiring from the studio and being an exclusively live band.

Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death
Symphony X - Underworld
Rush - Moving Pictures
Anthrax - Among the Living (twice I think)
Dream Theater - Images and Words
Earlier I remembered that I saw Symphony X play 'Underworld' twice in a week. This was particularly annoying as it was the first time I'd been able to see them since 2007 when they supported Dream Theater - that's an eight-and-a-half year wait - so I went to two of their shows. After having only seen them play a 30 minute set before I was looking forward to seeing them do a full headline set. They certainly weren't bad but I was quite underwhelmed that they were playing the full album. Symphony X don't tour a massive amount (they come to the UK every 4-5 years) so you'd think with the chances to see them being few and far between that they'd let their fans see a good range of songs.

Symphony X might be the only band where hardcore fans (or at least more than casual) complain about too much new material in the setlist.

Dio – Holy Diver

Iron Maiden – A Matter of Life & Death

Rush – Moving Pictures

Not really a fan of the concept to be honest, makes the gig seem a bit more scripted.

Boston - Third Stage (1987)
Stryper - To Hell with the Devil (1987) (not in label sequence)
Wrathchild America - Climbing the Walls (1989) (not in label sequence)
Living Colour - Vivid (1989) (not in label sequence)
Death Angel - Act III (1990) (not in label sequence)
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime (1991)
Rigor Mortis - Vs the Earth (1991) (not in label sequence)
Helmet - Meantime (1993) (not in label sequence)
Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill (1996) (not in label sequence)
Geoff Tate - Geoff Tate (2002) (not in label sequence)
Testament - The Legacy (2010) (almost in label sequence)
Megadeth - Rust In Peace (2010)
Rush - Moving Pictures (2011)
Creed - Human Clay (2012)
Anthrax - Among the Living (2013) (almost in label sequence)
Winery Dogs - Winery Dogs (2014) (not in label sequence)
Dream Theater - The Astonishing (2016)

Steely Dan - Aja and The Royal Scam (on different nights -- it was a 3-night run, with the 3rd night for "Internet Requests"; I only got tix for the 2 "album-plus" shows). Before they started the album sets, a woman with a 70s afro in a 70s outfit came out on stage and put a record down on a turntable at the side of the stage. She came out and flipped the record halfway through.

The Cult - Love.

Judas Priest - British Steel.

Exodus - Bonded by Blood.

Testament - The Legacy and about 90% of The New Order (same show, but songs not all in exact album sequence)

Almost but not quite: Queensryche, almost all of Operation: Mindcrime (except "Suite: Sister Mary") in 1989.

And this probably doesn't count, but I saw Maiden play the first three sides of Live After Death in 1985, before the album came out.

Last edited:
Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death
Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused to Sing (all songs played, but not in sequence), Hand Cannot Erase

The Raven Age - Debut EP

That's all. Haven't been to enough concerts in my life

I've seen a handful of bands play entire albums live. Off the top of my head:

Metallica- master of puppets
Iron Maiden - AMOLAD
Queensryche - mindcrime (twice) & mindcrime 2
Savatage (this may have been the Jon Olivia's pain band) - hall of the mountain king

I think Deep Purple played the full Machine Head album live on a few occasions in 2011 but I struggle to find the reference.

Back