Your Maiden blasphemy

I am unhappy that Maiden chose Ghost as their opening band for the 2017 US tour. Ghost is pretty overtly Luciferian, if not outright Satanic. As a Christian, this is repulsive to me. I love Maiden and have always defended them against accusations of being Satanic. (The Number of the Beast is a warning against the devil.) I don't like Maiden being associated with Ghost.

If I ever decide that Maiden is Satanic (and please God don't let it be true), then I will abandon them.

I can see how this might be seen as an unpopular opinion, especially here ;) (apart from me and Travis I think most people here are atheists/"ex-theists")

Anyway, as a pretty devout believer I have never even slightly felt that Maiden might be in any way dangerous. True, some parts are quite close to the edge, I guess (but I'd rather point to Moonchild in that regard than to TNOTB ), but in general I actually feel Maiden are pretty pro-Christian and were so even before Nicko's conversion. There's more references to praying, belief, hey, Jesus even (the last stanza of FTGGOG is pretty explicit, IMHO) than most other metal bands. (True, Bruce and his Aleister Crowley obsession that he managed to drag over to his solo career are a bit annoying, but nobody's perfect, eh?)

That said, I can see how the choice of Ghost might be problematic in that regard. I don't know what to think myself. Well, first of all, Ghost are overrated. But so are most bands, actually. As for the satanic angle... Dunno, I have always strongly disliked that in any band, even before my conversion. Because either they are serious about it and that gives me the creeps or they do it just for the show and controversy and that's cheap and stupid. It's the equivalent of bringing a stripper to the stage. Ghost are... so over the top I actually don't mind it all that much. I can't take that seriously any more than I'd take seriously Cannibal Corpse and their entrails ripped from an infant zombie or whatever. Still doesn't make the image in any way intelligent or appealing to me.

So when I saw them as the opening band on the Maiden England tour... Well, I actually discovered them there. Give their albums a few spins, so as to know what the buzz is all about and decided they're not for me. They are pretty monothematic and their music's not that great.

However, better stay away from Therion - now that's a pretty occultic band :devil:

I can see how this might be seen as an unpopular opinion, especially here ;) (apart from me and Travis I think most people here are atheists/"ex-theists")

Anyway, as a pretty devout believer I have never even slightly felt that Maiden might be in any way dangerous. True, some parts are quite close to the edge, I guess (but I'd rather point to Moonchild in that regard than to TNOTB ), but in general I actually feel Maiden are pretty pro-Christian and were so even before Nicko's conversion. There's more references to praying, belief, hey, Jesus even (the last stanza of FTGGOG is pretty explicit, IMHO) than most other metal bands. (True, Bruce and his Aleister Crowley obsession that he managed to drag over to his solo career are a bit annoying, but nobody's perfect, eh?)

That said, I can see how the choice of Ghost might be problematic in that regard. I don't know what to think myself. Well, first of all, Ghost are overrated. But so are most bands, actually. As for the satanic angle... Dunno, I have always strongly disliked that in any band, even before my conversion. Because either they are serious about it and that gives me the creeps or they do it just for the show and controversy and that's cheap and stupid. It's the equivalent of bringing a stripper to the stage. Ghost are... so over the top I actually don't mind it all that much. I can't take that seriously any more than I'd take seriously Cannibal Corpse and their entrails ripped from an infant zombie or whatever. Still doesn't make the image in any way intelligent or appealing to me.

So when I saw them as the opening band on the Maiden England tour... Well, I actually discovered them there. Give their albums a few spins, so as to know what the buzz is all about and decided they're not for me. They are pretty monothematic and their music's not that great.

However, better stay away from Therion - now that's a pretty occultic band :devil:

I never got an evil or bad vibe from Maiden, either. In fact I always perceived them as good guys. The energy at their live shows is pure love to me. Sometimes they make me uncomfortable, like the song Lord of Light from AMoLaD. I usually skip that song when listening to the album. But I also realize it's just presenting a point of view to consider, not really pushing Luciferianism.

As for Ghost, they can be seen as a joke with the anti-pope and ghoul crap. But it's not really a funny joke, so why bother? At the show I saw in Virginia Papa Dickhead told the crowd to all go home and cum that night, which I didn't appreciate.

I expect to get mocked for this, but that's okay. Yes, I have 666 in my username.. but my conversion is fairly recent. Been using the 666 for years.

As for Ghost, they can be seen as a joke with the anti-pope and ghoul crap. But it's not really a funny joke, so why bother?
LOL I think it's hilarious! But to each their own. I suspect Ghost won't support Maiden again, they tend to rotate out supports these days.

I would also consider myself to be a devout believer, so Ghost being the opening band gave me pause as well. The fact that they're so over the top (I saw a video of them performing and just chuckled) makes it easier to stomach.
I may still wander the venue when they're on though. :)

Ghost has some good songs. But I could care less about their devil stuff. Having had an awesome after life experience (for another day) I'm a believer as well. If they're joking, not joking, who gives a sh**. I'm going for Maiden this weekend!!

Killers has been my most-played Maiden album for some time now. I only wish they'd included the superior Metal for Muthas version of "Wrathchild".

Killers has been my most-played Maiden album for some time now. I only wish they'd included the superior Metal for Muthas version of "Wrathchild".
I like the rough feel of this version too. Unfortunately, the drums are not always on the beat (especially after the instrumental break) and the charleston (hi-hat) sounds like maracas.

Last edited:
I know this one is unpopular, but I feel Dance of Death is the best Maiden album other than Piece of Mind..and also unpopular, The Book Of Souls is the worst of the reunion ... :innocent:

Book of souls the worst reunion album? Wow!I better listen to it again. Final Frontier is the weaker of great albums for me. Agree with earlier comment re FOTD. I think it's a quality album. Slowly but surely fans of the album are finding their voice .

Back