The Official Book of Souls Tour 2017 Thread (Warning: Spoilers Within)

I think

Revelations
Heaven Can Wait
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
and to a lesser extent Sanctuary have at least a shot at being played again ...
Rime is almost certainly going to be at the farewell tour.
I think Rime is very unlikely to return. Being the centrepiece of Somewhere Back in Time seemed like a proper send-off for this song.

Back home from an incredible day.

I got to the bar right around 2:00, where I met up with @MrKnickerbocker and @Detective Beauregard. It was a really cool bar, filled with Maiden fans, obviously, and it played a lot of really good music.

A short time later, @LooseCannon arrived with @Wästed The Great, Wasted's son, and son's gf. @bearfan came with his cousin about 3o minutes later. It was a real pleasure to met everyone.

We had some drinks, ate some food, and had a great time hanging out. Maiden Chicago, a cover band, started playing around 4:15. They were alright. I didn't have very high expectations, but they were enjoyable. They had some interesting set choices, such as Drifter and Total Eclipse, but they also played To Tame A Land and Sea Of Madness, so that was pretty cool.

We left towards the end of their set, got a group picture outside, and some parting gifts from Knicks. :) I went back inside to listen to the last couple songs and have another drink before heading to the venue.

We all re-met up inside the venue by a merch stand, where we hung out for a bit and drank some ridiculously overpriced beer. We parted ways shortly before Ghost came on.

It was my first time in the pit, and it was an incredible experience. Ghost was amazing. I would absolutely see them again live, and I fully recommend seeing them if you get the chance.

And then the main act. Maiden were on fire. I was about 12 rows back from the barrier, a little left of center. I had a perfect view of everything, although it doesn't hurt that I'm 6'3 and can see over just about everyone else's head. ;) I don't know if it's just because I was so close, but this might be the best show I've been to performance-wise. I didn't notice any mistakes, and the sound seemed pretty great from where I was standing.

I ended up crashing at a buddy's place who lives not too far from the venue. Now I'm home and ready for a nap. All in all, It was an amazing experience! :edmetal:

I think Rime is very unlikely to return. Being the centrepiece of Somewhere Back in Time seemed like a proper send-off for this song.

I would not be upset if it were ... it really just depends on what type of tour they do .. they obviously could not do it this one with the 2 long TBOS songs ... it might fit in another, the band really seems to like it. SSOASS (the song) on the other hand I am really sure is done for good, Rime .. I could see it under the right circumstances

I got to the bar right around 2:00, where I met up with @MrKnickerbocker and @Detective Beauregard. It was a really cool bar, filled with Maiden fans, obviously, and it played a lot of really good music.

A short time later, @LooseCannon arrived with @Wästed The Great, Wasted's son, and son's gf. @bearfan came with his cousin about 3o minutes later. It was a real pleasure to met everyone.

We had some drinks, ate some food, and had a great time hanging out. Maiden Chicago, a cover band, started playing around 4:15. They were alright. I didn't have very high expectations, but they were enjoyable. They had some interesting set choices, such as Drifter and Total Eclipse, but they also played To Tame A Land and Sea Of Madness, so that was pretty cool.

We left towards the end of their set, got a group picture outside, and some parting gifts from Knicks. :) I went back inside to listen to the last couple songs and have another drink before heading to the venue.

We all re-met up inside the venue by a merch stand, where we hung out for a bit and drank some ridiculously overpriced beer. We parted ways shortly before Ghost came on.

It was my first time in the pit, and it was an incredible experience. Ghost was amazing. I would absolutely see them again live, and I fully recommend seeing them if you get the chance.

And then the main act. Maiden were on fire. I was about 12 rows back from the barrier, a little left of center. I had a perfect view of everything, although it doesn't hurt that I'm 6'3 and can see over just about everyone else's head. ;) I don't know if it's just because I was so close, but this might be the best show I've been to performance-wise. I didn't notice any mistakes, and the sound seemed pretty great from where I was standing.

I ended up crashing at a buddy's place who lives not too far from the venue. Now I'm home and ready for a nap. All in all, It was an amazing experience! :edmetal:

It was fun .. really good meeting you and seeing everyone else. The cover band was solid ... I liked the Iron Maidens better, nice to look at and I think they just played better too.

I really did not notice anything off either, last year in Vegas there were some pretty jarring miscues (Powerslave really comes to mind). I am not the type of person that goes to a show looking for things like "guitar player "x" was .75 seconds too late starting his solo" or anything like that ... but the Vegas show had some really blatant ones, this show .. I did not catch any, musically they were incredibly tight. Vegas is a bit excusable, I think it was the 3rd show after a year+ long break with a lot of new songs and a few "have not played in a while" songs mixed in.

I would not be upset if it were ... it really just depends on what type of tour they do .. they obviously could not do it this one with the 2 long TBOS songs ... it might fit in another, the band really seems to like it. SSOASS (the song) on the other hand I am really sure is done for good, Rime .. I could see it under the right circumstances

SSOASS is definitely done for... It's sad Infinite Dreams never made it back past the original tour in 88.... then again, nothing from SIT made it either except the obvious 2 and few special shows in 99 for a third. They played Rime on the SIT tour because Adrian forgot how to play Alexander... I found some old articles where he actually stated the band rehearsed all 8 songs! They said f it to Deja Vu I guess and F it to Loneliness after one show.... would be cool to get Alexander or CSIT.... over 30 years since that tour ended...

the 2008 tour would have been the time to revive SIT songs but I understand why they focused on Powerslave.... sad they had more songs from SSOASS that tour than SIT and then did a Maiden England tour after it

Still grinning from last night's show. For me the highlight of this tour is still the run of Red and the Black, The Trooper, and Powerslave. I'll be in the minority here but I prefer last year's setlist to Wrathchild and The Great Unknown. Wrathchild had great energy but isnt the same as the epic Hallowed. I actualy thought Tears of a Clown worked well live last year. TGU and TBOS back to back seem to bog the flow of the show down just my opinion....
Totally agree with this. As good as the 2017 set is, and it's really good, I preferred the 2016 one.

Oh yes, I now recall their website saying that many of these old songs will never be played again, and they are not revisiting a lot of the classic material. That fucking sucks!

I don't think so. There was an interview early in the reunion tour where (I think) Nicko said that Adrian forgot the solo, but that sounded facetious and was also in reference to why they won't play it today. That's definitely not the reason it wasn't played initially. It's a tough song, it probably didn't survive rehearsals.

WOW! Another awesome Maidenfans meetup! I'm glad you all had such an amazing time!

I don't know how much more foreplay I can take! I might actually have multiple Maidengasms! :D

Sounds like there's a venue specific shirt tonight. Travis - I hope you get one and have an absolute blast at the show. I realize I take advantage of the fact that I can see Maiden near me for basically all tours. Rock on tonight, it's going to be an awesome show!!

Watching a first row scope from Minnesota (right in front of Davey and H, same spot as me in Trieste last year, aaah the memories....). IESF is getting faster each gig. H is back on his drop-D Jackson for that one.

SOL is also rapid... It seems like the band is on fire tonight.

Also Bruce doesn't seem to know where they are. As far as I know they are in St. Paul and he is screaming SCREAM FOR ME MINNEAPOLIS :facepalm:. Nicko also fucked up COTD a bit.

Last edited:
That's funny. I saw Maiden in Providence in 1991, and Bruce greeted the crowd, "How're ya doing Rochester?":confused:

OH MY FREAKING GOD!!! WOW!!! That wasn't just an amazing concert. It was an EMOTIONAL EXPERIENCE!!!

My only very slight complaint was that they could have turned it down just a little. Everything kind of sounded all mish mashed together. And the guitars sounded a bit off tune in a couple parts. But that didn't take away from any of the excitement. Bruce sounded great and the band was on fire!

Oh, not only did Bruce say Minneapolis, but all the shirts had that on them as well.

WOW AGAIN!!!

Also the X-stroyer is back on Iron Maiden. Adrian also gets the award for the most pointless guitar change in the set (switching to the black Les Paul before Wrathchild, only for that song).

Chicago was absolutely stellar! Beers and food and more Maiden than I've Maidened since Vegas last year. It was great to see everyone again and enjoy the thing we all enjoy most.

Maiden Chicago was cool simply because they were playing a bunch of songs you would never hear live, like To Tame a Land, Sea of Madness, etc. Unfortunately, their singer was not great on the Bruce material.

As for Maiden themselves, good lord did they sound amazing! Highlights of the evening for me were definitely Powerslave and Blood Brothers, bloody brilliantly emotional moments from the guys. I think that this setlist flowed much better than the 2016 tour, even Wrathchild was awesome. I do agree that TGU into TBOS was not a great fit, as the songs have such similar wind-ups, but that didn't matter once TBOS' main riff kicked in. Bruce is still clearly struggling on the fast songs and still doing his "pull the mic away at the beginning of the higher notes" routine, but overall the band was on fire. Definitely the best performance and sound of the 3 shows I've seen on this tour.

Here's my favorite pics of the night:
IMG_6436.JPG IMG_6442.JPG IMG_6438.jpg

@LooseCannon - where's that Maidenfans group picture?

Back