NOW WATCHING

I'm currently watching season 3 of Bloodline. It's not a super fast paced show, but the acting and the cinematography is incredible. It's definitely worth the watch. I'm just disappointed that this is the final season.

I also recently finished the 3rd season of Homeland. It wasn't quite as good as the first two; I'll probably take a little break before I continue on with season 4.

Up next I plan on checking out Twin Peaks. I've never seen the original series, but I've heard a lot of great things. I now have the perfect excuse to go back and see it all from the beginning with the new show now airing.

American Hustle - I love this film about Batman (who is burdened with his wife Mystique) and Lois Lane being forced to work for Rocket while trying to trap Hawkeye.

Just saw Alien: Covenant yesterday, was let down.

If you want to write a robot movie, write a robot movie. Don't call it Alien. This was a movie about the creation of life, the futility of machines, and the question of what makes a person truly alive...it had nothing to do with Aliens. Considering tweeky androids have always been a large part of the series, I don't hate the idea of man's creation ultimately being the creator of the aliens, but that's just such a sharp focus shift from the original intent of the series.

I'm continually annoyed with the modern storytelling desire to explain literally everything about the things we enjoy in plots.

I know you are joking but actually, the Creature from the Black Lagoon will be part of Universal's monster Dark Universe reboot...if the Mummy reboot is successful:

Film U.S. release date Director(s) Screenwriter(s) Producer(s) Status
The Mummy
June 9, 2017[5] Alex Kurtzman Jon Spaihts and Alex Kurtzman & Jenny Lumet(screen story)
David Koepp and Christopher McQuarrie and Dylan Kussman (screenplay) Alex Kurtzman, Chris Morgan, Sean Daniel and Sarah Bradshaw Preparing for release
Bride of Frankenstein February 14, 2019[6] Bill Condon David Koepp Alex Kurtzman and Chris Morgan Pre-production
Untitled Creature from the Black Lagoon film 2019 TBA Jeff Pinkner (screen story)
Will Beall (screenplay) In development
Untitled Invisible Man film 2020 TBA Ed Solomon
Untitled Van Helsing film TBA TBA Jon Spaihts and Eric Heisserer (screen story)
Dan Mazeau (screenplay) Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci and Chris Morgan
Untitled Wolf Man film TBA TBA Aaron Guzikowski and David Callaham Alex Kurtzman and Chris Morgan

Watched Wonder Woman (2017).

A fantastic film with a flawless cast (Gadot and Pine having wonderful chemistry), a storyline which was focused and still unexpected, and spot-on pacing. Apart from a few moments of framing the story into the greater DC universe it's part of as prologue/epilogue, there's nothing that keeps the film in restraints here, within some greater story-arc. The obligatory final showdown was full of physical action, but don't mistake that for the film abandoning its ideas to become a more generic super-hero-film (as some has done) - it was all about an inner struggle that had been built up during the whole film. Though still full of CGI, the action sequences are so wonderfully directed that your eyes never get confused as to what to look at - all the CGI is just complementary background and never the focus - I don't even know if it was particularly well done, because I never looked directly at it. Some feminist critic might say that Gadot had to share the space with Pine - but really, his presence only strengthens the character and shouldn't be looked at from the angle of "did they really need a male lead as well". By which I mean to say, it isn't like Wonder Woman needs to be rescued, in any shape or form.

Thanks for posting the review of WW and I look forward to reading other members' reviews as well (I won't see it until Sunday) but I recommend they be posted in the DC Extended Universe thread

Just saw Alien: Covenant yesterday, was let down.

If you want to write a robot movie, write a robot movie. Don't call it Alien. This was a movie about the creation of life, the futility of machines, and the question of what makes a person truly alive...it had nothing to do with Aliens. Considering tweeky androids have always been a large part of the series, I don't hate the idea of man's creation ultimately being the creator of the aliens, but that's just such a sharp focus shift from the original intent of the series.

I'm continually annoyed with the modern storytelling desire to explain literally everything about the things we enjoy in plots.
What original intent of the series? Was there ever an original intent? What was it?

I don't feel there is a format or (serial) story a director needs to follow. The word Alien gives you certain expectations. I don't know what it is but this film explains a lot about the Aliens. It has everything to do with it.

What more (story) elements do you demand besides Giger elements, musical themes, space travel and aliens?

Last edited:
Back